Cock roach add

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Cock roach add

Postby RC » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:21 pm

whoa!!

I fully expect to hear you all laughing all the way down to FL - I have a HUGE roach phobia and that advertisement is just unfair.

My hair is standing on end, my skin is prickled, my knees are weak - I can hardly bring myself to complain because just typing the word makes me uncomfortable.

Please man, I'm begging... If you thought I was "liberal" before, wait til I call the ACLU about my roach phobia...(JK)
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Re: Cock roach add

Postby RC » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:29 pm

p.s. JK stands for just kidding.
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:54 pm

What's not to like about killing roaches?

Here, our main problem is with crickets, and I believe we have several species. My cats like to disassemble them, and when put back together, they don't work like they did before. There are some that seem to be about an inch high at the knees. If you are quick enough, a magazine works well, but in the construction zone that is my basement, there's way too many hiding places for them.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:55 pm

What ad? Was there a roach ad? What was the roach selling?

I work in a building with industrial-sized six-legged monsters. We just check for live ones before using the ladies' room (the men claim to ignore them altogether) and spray around our cubicles. Oh, and we use a lot of the large sized roach motels.

I'm pretty sure some of the larger bugs vote. I'm positive a few of them have gym memberships.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:12 pm

I think the germs around here kill off all the cockroaches, as opposed to growing them into huge radio-active cockroaches.
Blech
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:24 pm

Florida roaches fly. I've seen them 3" long. Flying.

My roomie trapped one in a plastic bag, sprayed RAID in the bag, and the bug lived for 8 hours. Then she used overwhelming force to end it.

"Hi, my name is piq and i loathe roaches...."
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:37 pm

We need a bioengineered roach-hunting cat. There's gotta be a way. :(
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:26 am

I had said cat.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:54 am

Any clone kittens available?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:36 am

Hey RC, aren't you in the wrong state, given your dislike for roaches? Fl's got Palmetto bugs, and I've heard those things are so big they carry farm animals away...

When I was in nucular.....uh, I mean, nuclear power school in Orlando, my roommates in the barracks would keep a big paper cup, a can of lighter fluid and a lighter handy. Whenever they saw a Palmetto bug, they'd trap it under the cup, squirt some lighter fluid under the edge, whip it off & light the roach with the lighter. The roach would then scurry around the floor on fire for a few seconds before succumbing. I thought I'd try it, so one morning at about 5am, I woke up and saw one sitting in the middle of the floor. I got up, trapped it, squirted an excessive amount of fluid under the cup, lifted the cup, lit the bug, and treated my roomies to 3ft high flames in the middle of the floor! They proclaimed the roach torching equipment off limits to me after that...

:eek:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby RC » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:48 am

Yes, I am most definitely in the wrong state. I didn't have a phobia until I lived in Hawaii.
When I moved to FL, it got worse.

My favorite tenant is a bug man. He will come to my house any time of day or night. He handles all my phobias (theres just the one). He has known me for 16 years. Needless to say, his rent is VERY low!

-New house, first morning, I opened my silverware drawer and there was a palmetto bug in the forks. When my buddy arrived to kill it, I was actually in tears I was so scared. It's totally insane.

I've gotten to the point where I scream and run away now and scratch my head for twenty minutes and then I'm pretty much OK. :D It's totally insane.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:31 am

"Any clone kittens available?"

I could put in touch with one of our professors here. . .who helped out with CC (CopyCat), our cloned kitty. He also helped out Dewey, our cloned deer.
;)
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:52 am

RC,

Do NOT audition for "Fear Factor".

Having lived in South Florida for many years, I am familiar with roaches and Palmetto bugs. The best thing I ever found was Combat roach traps. Once I set those out, even SEEING a roach dead or alive was a rarity in my apartment.

I have the cricket problem here too. Those big curved backed brown ones Barfle mentioned people here call "camel crickets." They jump well!

One time I went down to the basement when I was remodeling. I saw a cricket leg (the cat never ate the whole thing). As I approached, the leg twitched! Freaked me out...fresh kill !

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby RC » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:40 am

Tim -
I can't even watch Fear Factor. In the science museums, I have to avoid anyplace that might have cock roach displays.

Had a cricket up my pant leg once and I never developed a cricket phobia...???

Ate a spider by accident, and a cigar butt - don't have spider or cigar phobia's.

Grew up on a ranch in the wild, saw all kinds of half ravaged carcasses, gross, but doesn't freak me out.

Had a crab affixed to my toe once and a nasty jelly fish sting, surfed with sharks, jumped out of airplanes - but a computerized picture of a roach makes me squirm.

Kinda ironic ain't it.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:42 pm

Yeah, sure is. Sounds like, except for cockroaches, you are READY for Fear Factor !

Regards,
Tim :) B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:24 pm

Once....south of the border.........I had to go check out a house that was being built; make sure it was "coming along". Got there after dark. Lights were out. Turned on the circuit breaker. Opened the patio door. Went straight for the bathroom and flicked the lights on.
Hundreds of roaches flew in every direction! :eek: I ran out as fast as possible, slamming the door shut and scratching every inch of myself, making obtuse jerking movements. Turns out they had come through the shower drain, which was left uncovered. Clean up was gross!
Oh yeah, and the bedroom walls had scorpions clinging to them.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby RC » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:51 pm

EEEEEEEEEWWWWW!!!
RC
2nd Chair

Postby RC » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:54 pm

You know what? I put this on Helping Hand because I was begging a very selfish consideration.

Maybe we should start a new thread for EEEWWWW stories where BBB won't be looking for specific help requests.

Oooops. Sorry 'bout that BBB personell.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:39 pm

You can also capture a roach by dripping candle wax over it. I covered one up at a couple of days later, ants had dug through the wax to rip it apart and bring the protein back to their nest.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:43 pm

If you toss alcohol on a tarantula and light it on fire, the damn thing will crawl around in a frenzy for an unbelievably long time.
Serenity
1st Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand