Mozilla FireFox

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Mozilla FireFox

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:05 am

Hi -
Anyone out there, I need some help.

Just installed Norton Systemworks 2005.
Cleaned up a bunch of garbage on the computer at home but it is still running slow.

Also, Going to free games using Internet Explorer,
it tells me it is downloading a new version of some type of Active X.... but never installs.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this along with how slow the computer is running??

Thanks,
Howard
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:41 am

Piq, I suppose I must confess the truth about RR beans--they are genetically modified and their most salient feature is their resistance to pesticides and herbacides. Ordinarily, beans must be planted some distance apart to allow for weeding, but RR can be planted closely and doused liberally with poisons. More yield.

Brazil is becoming a big player in beans--genetically modified organisms are illegal there, but it appears farmers there are buying RR from sources across their borders. Rust is their problem now. And so on.

I was surprised no one commented on my treasury auction/trade deficit offset idea. I wish someone more knowledgeable would bring some numbers.

I find OT's comments interesting and provocative. Not many people have an opinion and the desire to discuss it--well, at least on this subject.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:09 pm

nc, so either RR beans are sterile or they dont breed true because a) they are not clones, they are a hybrid with limited stability Or b) they are clones and they cross too easily with the neighbors beans, and dont breed true.

We appear to make a lot of weapons that people want to buy.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:34 pm

So what is our number one export in terms of $?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:37 pm

A quick google show 62.3 billion in ag products for 2003
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:47 pm

Originally posted by nameless cipher:
So what is our number one export in terms of $?
War, of course! We exported something like $152 billion last year in Iraq alone, not to mention the cost in human lives. [snark] That figure includes the $150.5 billion paid to Halliburton, so that may disqualify it as an "export". [/snark]

[rant] Speaking of which, I heard last night we paid Halliburton over $27 million to transport $82,000.00 worth of propane in Iraq last year. What's wrong with this picture? [/rant]

;)

Seriously, it would appear agricultural exports are our largest, and from what I could tell, soy beans may be the single largest item. Somehow, that knowledge doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about our future in the global economic market. I would like to think we led in something a little more high tech and stable.

"When I think of the U.S., I think soy bean!" Just doesn't have that ring of success that I think it should.

<small>[ 03-15-2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: OperaTenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:07 pm

Soybeans make an acceptable gas substitute (no he isn't up to his usual 'no pun is bad' tricks here...he's serious Ub. ED). There have been successful experiments using it as a diesel substitute.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:20 pm

The CIA World Fact Book gives these:

capital goods
automobiles
industrial supplies and raw materials
consumer goods
agricultural products

conspicuously no mention of weapons

I did see elsewhere that in 1997 we exported far more weapons than any other country--more than 4 times as much as the number 2 exporter. About 25% of our export was missles. Two ships were sold. Just what does a warship retail for?

Soybean research began in earnest in this country in the 1930's when the gov. was looking for ways to help farmers. Within a very short time we were world leaders in knowledge about and production of soybeans. There is an enormous gap in these areas between the US and the rest of the world. Despite finding nearly endless uses for the beans, they remain an export item. In the US they are crushed--the oil is used for food products such as margerine and the meal (crushed bean)is used for animal feed. All those cows eat bean meal; later, a couple of weeks before taking them to market, they are fattened up on corn. Usually. Depends on the price of things.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:24 pm

Of course thats "missiles."
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:47 am

Don Install Norton "Go Back"

I installed Norton Systemworks 2005 2 weeks ago and "Go Back" was one of the modules.
The computer has been taking 6-7 minutes to boot up as well as running slow.

It took 4 1/2 hrs to uninstall the program yesterday. It had to remove "Go Back History"

I can't imagine what it was doing to have that much history to remove in 2 weeks.

There are other things I need to do on the PC to improve it's speed but stay away as this program is A DOG.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby rwcrooks » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:09 am

I've been using GoBack for years. I didn't know that it is now a Norton product (it used to be Roxio). I have never had a single problem with it. Quite the contrary, it has saved my butt several times by allowing me to recover a previous version of a file I had just edited and restoring my hard disk to a specific point in time.

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times, my version takes about 5-10 minutes to uninstall. All the GoBack History is is a huge database file that contains old versions of files, etc. I can't imagine why that would take so long to uninstall.

As for Norton Systemworks, I've seen several people have issues with that package (older versions than 2005) and no real benefits.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:31 am

Rich,

"I've been using GoBack for years. I didn't know that it is now a Norton product (it used to be Roxio). I have never had a single problem with it. "

Go Back was part of Symantec's "Sytemworks 2005" that I bought 2 weeks ago.
Either Symantec bought Roxio or it is a different product.
------------------------------------------------
"I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times, my version takes about 5-10 minutes to uninstall. All the GoBack History is is a huge database file that contains old versions of files, etc. I can't imagine why that would take so long to uninstall."

I agree, but a started this at 3:50PM EST yesterday and it said "Removing GoBack History Data" and ended at 8:10PM EST.

I have some other system issues I'm trying to fix but it should not have taken that long.
Any software I've ever un-installed took 10-15 minutes TOPS.
------------------------------------------------

"As for Norton Systemworks, I've seen several people have issues with that package (older versions than 2005) and no real benefits. "

I have used Norton for years with no problems. User friendly but VERY disappointed in this GoBack program.

I spoke to some developers and Desktop support people here at work and they told me Norton will slow your PC down as it was written in Java Code.
I'm no programmer but this has really changed my outlook on Symantec products.

Any recommendations (not Macaffee, been there and had a very bad experience with their software) to use other than Symantecs products?

Thanks,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby The Great Carouser » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:38 am

Try ZoneLabs, Howard.
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:09 am

Hi Howard,

When I re-upped with Norton this time around(I last had SystemWorks 2002), I got only the Antivirus 2005. It alone hasn't seemed to adversely affect the speed of my system. It also seems to carry on in the fine tradition of good performance - it seems to miss nothing.

I think I'm glad I didn't pop for the whole package from what you say.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:23 am

Originally posted by The Great Carouser:
Try ZoneLabs, Howard.
GC,
Thanks!!!

The guy in charge of desktop machines here has given me a lesson the past 2 days. Had me run msconfig and I was surprised at what was on the machine.

I am rarely on the machine at home but
there are too many .exe's in the startup process.(came from downloading stuff from the internet)
Also found spyware in the startup process.
Going to get spysweeper later today.

We googled on the items in startup from my pc and there is a great website with plenty of info:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

I got the machine to boot up in 3 minutes.
It was taking 6-7 minutes before.

I feel better that this will free up memory and speed up the processing of the computer.

Regards,
Howard
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:26 am

OT,
I have always had success with Norton. I really like how user friendly it is. Simple! That's why I became so frustrated with it the past 2 weeks.

Well...

If you read my last post, I think the main problem is the stuff that was downloaded (unknowingly) to the PC has been screwing up the boot up process as well as eating up system resources in the background while trying to do other things.

I do not plan to put Go Back on the machine again but do plan on monitoring the way Norton is running.

Thanks,
Howard
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:08 am

Anyone know of an on-line hardware utility that can test/diagnose hard disk drive errors? I think a power spike during the winter blackouts may have damaged a part of my hard disk even though I had a surge protector.

Any recommendations on alternate hard disks? I have a Quantum Fireball. They were supposed to be more reliable than Maxtor but were sensitive to electrical surges/spikes. How about Western?

I would go research at CNET or PCMag but some of you surfers know your stuff.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:34 am

Personally, I use VCOM's 'Fix-It Utilities' on my laptop but it is a 'buy only' program. I found this link at PC World. It's shareware and may solve your problem, Dr. Hardware diagnostic tool
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:48 pm

Thanks GC...can't wait to try some of the utilities listed.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 pm

All the utilities I downloaded seem pretty nifty and seem to be doing some furious problem-solving and fixing but when it's all done, the response time of my PC is incredibly slow.

I cannot click on a link to open it in a new window. I cannot perform a System Restore. I can't re-install the printer software off the CD.
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand