strange other channel

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

strange other channel

Postby tan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:13 am

Does this happen to you too?
hoped to listen to two pieces by benjamin britton...
came home early just to do so, beethoven started just right... left the house for a few minutes to let the dogs out, when i came back i got a sermon on the dear lord jesus and america.... first i thought it was some kind of comercial ( fair enough, ALMOST...) but it went on and on, so i checked my player, no bethoven.com was on it said...no matter what i did, sermon goes on...
had to reboot computer, missed britton, now back to normal, anybody know what this is??
i live in the middle of no-where in the third world, could that be it? Did anybody have the same hmmm.. problem? ( as i live in a buddhist society, beeing a buddhist as my neighbours stuff like this is highly offnsive to us, especcially as my neighbours just came by with some freshy caught fish- some do speak english very well- and i was just lighting the house altar candles,.) so please let me know, this was highly embarrassing to me, i do not want to repeat this loss of face... thanks for letting me know what happened
,tan
ps everybody has a right to believe what they want, ok. if anybody thinks different ok too, just please, we find it highly offensive to get it showed down our throats.(and so would you) as we would never think of doing something like that to anybody else
tan
don't judge book by the movie
tan
3rd Chair

Re: strange other channel

Postby DavidS » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:48 am

In the sixties homosexual acts were made legal in the UK, on the condition that they were committed "by consenting adults in private" - a principal which in British society up to then had applied to heterosexual sex, religious discussion, and political debate...
Another way of saying "live and let live".
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby tan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:59 am

dar David,
consetual acts should be condoned in any way or form,although it should be adults. ( we have more than our share of pedeophilia in our country, believe you me and thatis where i do draw the line.) all i ask is to find a way not to be bombarded by chrisitan or other beliefs that i do nor share or want to get involvedin with any way: imagine, you are a nice amricam family getting ready for church at breakfast with the kids in attendance and on you comptersite, that has been respectable so far all of asudden you get a, say musslim condemnig your views, how would you feel...?
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:16 am

I could not agree with you more.
And I have posted elsewhere my take on one of the advantages of a society respecting Free Speech, ie on the one hand you can give vent to whatever views you fancy (provided you are not abusive or offensive), while on the other hand you cannot be coerced into hearing things you do not want to.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby tan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:16 am

ps: did you know that in buddhism homosexual marriage -at least in cambo,and as far as i know also in thailand has been legal for a long time, the idea behind beeing, with all these reincarnations, sometimest they do get the sexes confused...
tan
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:29 am

Interesting.
Many countries have started recognising this option.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby tan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:53 am

Dear David,
i aggree with you on every point,especcially when you say that people should not be coerced into hearing things, try the evengalists that i have encoutered here, imagine them giving out pamphlets to khmers( cambodians) that say ' if you do not believe in jesus pol pot will come back...
our society has a 100 percent post traumatic stress syndrome rate, and is a society that is painfully trying to rebuild itsself. good and bad, but isn' t it their decision? having lived here for six years i can only admire the khmer for the way they deal with the past and manage to get along.
Could you or me for that matter get along with a neighbour that killed your mother? i think i would not have the mental strength for that, so compared to that tolerance to homosexuality is a small thing.
bye the way are you familiar with the work of quentin chrisp (the naked civil servant?)
cheers tan
ps do not even ask what i do think about the un tribunals here, unless you want you be bored out of your mind, let us say our t- shirts say ' the united nations of nothing'
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:46 pm

Yes, I know about pamphlets and propaganda with all kinds of wierd and wonderful religious or political messages and threats. Irritating, but that is what Free Speech is about: If it is defamatory, offensive etc., you might invoke your country's laws against it. If you find it merely distasteful, ignore it and treat it with the contempt it deserves. We should raise our children with the proper sense of discernment to deal with these things.
I quite agree that the rule of law must be supreme, and no society that respects itself may let murderers and other criminals roam free in it. Which is why some people make sacrifices to build a just society in their own countries, while others try to move to places where they will get a better deal. Each according to his tastes and abilities.
I think I have heard the name you mention, but I am not familiar with his works. What are they about?

<small>[ 06-13-2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: DavidS ]</small>
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:16 pm

tan,

There was a discussion on the topic earlier, although I do not recall the title of the thread, which dealt with this subject (The tele-evangalism, not homosexuality!)

Apparently, a religious radio programme rents time on Beethoven.com's radio wave on Sunday Morning (Hartford, CT time) to air their religious programme. I'm not sure of the exact time, since I don't listen on the weekend, but it is at the same time every Sunday. I would note the time that it happens and tune out during that time (time to listen to a few CD's).

Nicole could probably give you the time of the broadcasts, so you can block out that timeframe from your listening.

A lot of listeners weren't happy with the religious broadcast, but B.com has to pay the bills!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby tan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:23 pm

You are right, free speech and all that. but preying on the weak and traumatized in a third world society can be downright criminal.
Murders and criminals should not roam free. right again. but for the people here is the question where will it end. everybody who survived pol pot has done something wrong, even children have murdered) and most feel terrible about it.
( the theory beeing that they will pay for it in their next life). ..anyway the past of cambodia, though invoked by other coutries, notably the illegal bombing by america during the war in vietnam, should we now as a country not have the right to at least solve our problems our way?, without the well meant but in most- if not all - cases innaproriate and more often than not dammaging help of outsiders?

Quentin Chrisp: wrote his first book in the fourties about beeing gay in england in those days. About discrimination and the way he dealt with it.
you might have seen him as Queen elizabeth in the film Orlando, or in the sting video legal alien (he is the old man on the bench), the song is about him.
found his new yourk diaries in a second hand bookstore, how that ever made it to cambodia??
(when somebody tried to push him to join alocoholics annonymus he quipped: i'd rather be an alcoholic than annonymu), his work - and life were all about tollerance and beeing human, though not without a sense of humor.
tan
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:42 pm

Tan,

I doubt that you were forced to listen to the evangelist. I can kill Beethoven.com any time I want to by simply killing the player, turning down the volume or turning off the computer. I'm sure these options work in Cambodia, as well as here.

Personally, I don't mind listening to others' points of view and have made some fairly good friends who have different basic belief systems.

One of he basic tenets of Christianity is to bring others into God's family through the acceptance of Jesus as the Savior. That's all the evengelist was attempting to do. It doesn't appear that he was too effective, though. If you get tired of the message just turn it off.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:49 pm

Hello Tan-

We do have a religious broadcast that buys time on Sunday morning at 8AM. I have reviewed a few of the shows when they first started and felt they kept the show fairly "general". But I admit I have slacked in review of the shows. I will review the past few Sunday's and see if this show is toeing the line.

From reading the posts above I will reveiw the past few shows. It's unclear from your post Tan if they have stated anything against any specific group of people or if it's just the show in general? The Beethoven Staff has a personal opinion on this, we'd prefer not to broadcast any religion and keep it about music. But we do have to pay the bills. If I find they are instigating aggression or violence against any group of people etc. then I can pull the show. A case like that would violate FCC rules and we do not want the liability. But if it's a matter of opinion and freedom of speech then they do have a right to say those things.

I'll give it a listen this week and post an update. I do want to apologize to anyone who finds the show offensive. We may have to add a disclaimer to the show stating that this is not the opinion of Beethoven Radio and Marlin Broadcasting.

<small>[ 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]</small>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby tan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:50 pm

thanks, Shapley,
now it makes sense...
as it is late afternoon here when the broadcast takes place i will make it apoint to have a few cold ones in town with my friends till it is 'safe' to listen again.
(the rainy season has played havock with my classical cd' s over the years.
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:52 pm

I am confused how Britten morphed into the televangelist tho, if b.com advertized Britten to be at a certain time.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:58 pm

Piq-

The Now playing does not track the talk shows, only the music. Britten was the last piece to air before the talk show. So the Now Playing was reflecting that, the music will kick back in once the talk show is over.

There is no way around this due to the Now Playing system and reporting requirements from SoundExchange and the RIAA.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby tan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:59 pm

Dear Nicole,
of course you have to pay the bills, and i understand perfectly. my mistake entirely that i din't know about the broadcast!
don't worry, will turn off during that time.
my only excuse for reacting this way are the bad experiences i had with evangelists attmpting litterally to destroy our culture.
tanja
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:03 pm

Far be it from me to tender unsolicited advice or tips on how a country should come to terms with its recent traumatic past. Every country has its own traditions and way of putting its house in order, and there are countless examples of stormy and murky chapters in different countries' histories, followed by national conciliation of one kind or another. Need I mention slavery in the ancient and not-so-ancient world, various brands of oppression ranging from holocausts via racism to the gulag?
You are absolutely right - foreign intervention is not the way to help a country to get its act together.
Quentin Chrisp sounds like a latter-day Oscar Wilde, although his humour reminds me a bit of Groucho or even Woody.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby tan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:16 pm

Indeed, a latter day wilde, out of the closet, big time.
another good one by him:" as i said the other day to comrade nurejeff, the only reason anybody goes to the ballet is that they hope somebody will break their neck'...
That was when mr. krisp was a very old man, had a hard time getting around and they kept inviting him to performance after performance, and he had had it.
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:20 pm

Indeed, a latter day wilde, out of the closet, big time.
another good one by him:" as i said the other day to comrade nurejeff, the only reason anybody goes to the ballet is that they hope somebody will break their neck'...
That was when mr. krisp was a very old man, had a hard time getting around and they kept inviting him to performance after performance, and he had had it.
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Return to Helping Hand