NO MORE BEETHOVEN.COM EMAIL

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

NO MORE BEETHOVEN.COM EMAIL

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:02 pm

Beethoven Radio has always tried to provide you with the best email service. But recently we have had technical issues with our email servers. These problems are so extensive that we have decided to shut down the email service. Rather then provide you with an unreliable email service we have decided to shut down the Beethoven.com email within 30 days.

Please log into your accounts and forward all important emails to an alternate account. Please re-route all your emails to another account. Contact your friends, family and business contacts that your Beethoven.com account is no longer valid.

We are truly sorry. But it is more important to us to provide you with no email service then one that is unreliable. For further questions please email our tech staff at helpme@beethoven.com
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Re: NO MORE BEETHOVEN.COM EMAIL

Postby Shapley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:00 pm

Nicole,

Thanks. I'm sure it's been a hassle working so hard to provide this free service for your listeners.

I appreciate the work you all have done!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:10 pm

I'm really sorry to see the e-mail service go. Especially with those 1,000 business cards I had printed a few months back with "operatenor@beethoven.com" on them. :eek:

I just hope this isn't a sign of deeper troubles, and that it's just the headache of the problems with the e-mail system. I want you folks to stay on the air!
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:16 pm

No worries OT, we are still hanging around. It will cost us $3000 to buy new servers for the email. Then add in the time and man power to get it up and working. Our effort, time and money could be better spent somewhere else in the company, like playing classical music and maintaining our servers that stream the music.

We make no money from the email. We do make money from our broadcast and that's what's important. We have decided to stop wasting time on the email and use our energy (and money) on what's important... Beethoven Radio!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:26 pm

Thank you, Y.R.H.

:)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:16 pm

I admit I've had a few issues with the free service, but since it was free, and with a name like beethoven.com, it also was pretty prestigious.

Free email seems to be one of those things that's fraught with difficulties, spam being one of the major ones. I know I've had my emails bounced from other servers because spammers have identified themselves as being from beethoven.com. Durn shame, it is.

Well, I'll have to get in touch with, hmmmm, I'm not all that sure how many people, in order to get my contacts in order.

Thanks for what we had, and I hope you decide to restore the email service in the future when it makes more sense.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby ai4i » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:12 pm

I haven't used my account in many years, but for being one of the first (I think it was 100) users to sign up, I received a free Beethoven Radio baseball cap back when it was a simulcast of WTMI, 93.1-FM, Miami. I wish I had been into classical music back when I worked at the station, better late than never.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:56 am

Hello, all!

I haven't posted in ages...for reasons several of you are aware. (And because dial-up just doesn't make it with the new screens the BBB has). However, I do use Beethoven's e-mail quite a bit.

I did want to put my reason for missing Beethoven's e-mail: POP3 There are quite a few *free* e-mail services. Beethoven was the only one I've found that also has/had *free* POP3. It will be missed.

BTW: Don't forget to change your profile!
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:09 am

'Course as soon as I say "Don't forget to change your profile! " It won't let me. Get a SMTP error after I click the "update" botton. Sigh. I see things haven't changes while I was away.
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:41 am

Donna! Hello! Good to see you again. Welcome back. :)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:43 am

With the bad news, some good news!

Great to hear from you again, Donna! I hope you are well.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:00 pm

Originally posted by dkm32:
...I haven't posted in ages...for reasons several of you are aware.
Too many Strauss dissers??
Hope it wasn't something I said.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:39 pm

Hi, all!

I see Private E-mail doesn't work either. So, I'll just post this...

I just don't get time to get to *anything* Beethoven now a days. With a slow dial-up line, everything takes so long. Especially since they added so many ads to all their pages.

I'm in the process of packing all my worldly goods and getting out of Dodge. Well, California to be honest. Just can't afford to live here anymore. I'm moving to Colorado. I've always loved the area around Colorado Springs and decided to give it a try.

Oh, and my non-Beethoven e-mail address is dkm32dkm@earthlink.net. I check my e-mail daily, but not the BB.

Take care!
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:52 pm

Dear Beethoven Tech Support,

HELP!

With the passing of the beethoven.com email server I am experiencing small difficulties on the bulletin board. I registered to the bulletin board using my now defunct beethoven email address. Everyone that sends me a PM gets an error message because my email account no longer exists (I am receiving the PM's however). I tried to fix this by updating my email address in My Profile, but everytime I try to do that I get this Error Page. What do I need to do to fix this?
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:57 pm

Hi Hal,

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the e-mail server ran the pm part as well. Whenever the e-mail server was down we'd get those error messages, but the pm's still got through. I've been getting the error messages, too, just assumed it was tied to the server being taken off line.

I have my own wounds to lick, however. I didn't quite get everything I wanted off my old e-mail account before it went away. Ran out of time before departure to the U.K.

:(

The shame of it is I'll bet that server's just sitting there, shut down, with all the info on it until Chris has time to wipe it.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby hal 9000 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:07 pm

OT- yes, but I think if I enter a new email address in my profile, those error message will go away (PM's will be sent to a valid addy that way). I could be wrong, but if I'm right I'd like to update my email addy in the bulletin board My Profile (if it will ever let me). :confused:
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:26 am

RIP Beethoven email. I know I haven't been on the board much, but if any of y'alls want to get in contact, my new email is arynearsonATgmail.com (you know what to do with the AT, I put that in to reduce the chance of getting spammed by bots that scan forum pages looking for email addresses...)

Cheers!
Aaron
Insert creative phrase here.
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:23 am

I tried and was still able to get into B.com email
Sent a test message from work to b.com and from b.com to work. Got both messages. If PM is linked to email, maybe they are trying to unlink the 2.

Also sent a request to Dan yesterday morning. Not sure if he got it. Wonder if there is also a problem with the request link?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:24 am

It's worth noting that there is still an animated link banner (under the "Link to Us" page that shows "Free E-Mail."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to Helping Hand