Forum messed up

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Forum messed up

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:14 pm

Somebody give the server a kick. This forum is only showing threads up until the 18th, even though there were posts afer that. If I select "show last 2 days" it shows the recent threads. "Show last 5 days" or more and it only show threads up until the 18th.

Plus it shows me a private message warning every day I log in, even though I don't have any messages.

<small>[ 07-27-2005, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: BigJon@Work ]</small>
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Re: Forum messed up

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:15 am

I sent a complaint a few days ago about a seemingly junk/malicious PM I received from someone registered (but not posting) on the Forum. So far - no response. :(
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:45 pm

Was it from Africa? I got one from Africa. Same thing, registered but with zero posts. Don't know what's up with that. Someone apparently looking for a mate. Is it a spammer? A hacker? A phisher?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:40 pm

click on the members profile, there's a add to ignore list option at the bottom.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Yeah....but curiosity gets the best of me.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 pm

Serenity & bignaf,
Yes it did seem to come from Africa. As it reminded me of an Internet scam/sting tried a couple of years ago via E-mail, I did add it to my ignore list.
I was just wondering whether the B.com webmaster or someone could remove from the BB subscribers who may be issuing junk, spam or malicious PM's - to protect the unsuspecting and avoid wastage of cyber-resources? :roll:

<small>[ 07-29-2005, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: DavidS ]</small>
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:29 am

I got the Africa thing. Purportedly from an orphan refugee looking for a kind mate to take care of her and her "propertise". If you report the pm, yes, they will ban the offending sender.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about scam e-mails until somebody reports it to the webmaster. This particular one just smelled like bait - "Hello, I'm young and helpless and need a kind protector to take care of me and my properties" is supposed to trigger several kinds of predatory or opportunistic responses. Bait. As in Phishing. If you respond, I'm sure you'll eventually find the hook.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:26 am

Originally posted by Selma in Sandy Eggo:
I got the Africa thing. Purportedly from an orphan refugee looking for a kind mate to take care of her and her "propertise". If you report the pm, yes, they will ban the offending sender.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about scam e-mails until somebody reports it to the webmaster. This particular one just smelled like bait - "Hello, I'm young and helpless and need a kind protector to take care of me and my properties" is supposed to trigger several kinds of predatory or opportunistic responses. Bait. As in Phishing. If you respond, I'm sure you'll eventually find the hook.
Well, I did report it, like you said. Is the webmaster likely to notify us that the individual has been banned?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:29 am

At least you can learn a little geography from it. Poster originally from Liberia (typed Laberial) and moved to city of Dakar in the country of Senegal. Working her way closer?

Then you can look up the World Atlas stats and maybe even consider going on vacation there! :eek:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:06 pm

I know I've received email bounce reports for messages I never sent. They include the text of the email, and it's clearly spam.

I reported that to the admin, and they assured me that my email wasn't used for spamming, but it was a common problem with free email services.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Free email is worth every penny....
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:25 pm

Originally posted by Haggis@wk:
Free email is worth every penny....
Well, I thought it was pretty slick, until I started getting over a hundred spams a day, and the admittedly flaky spam filter wasn't much of an improvement.

I'm still sorry to see it go, but one thing that is nice is that the spammers haven't found out my new addresses yet.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to Helping Hand