Automatic log out

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Automatic log out

Postby barfle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:57 am

Lately, I've found that I've been logged out of the BBB, even in the middle of reading messages. Actually, I've even had the message "you are not logged in" when I press the "Post Message" button, even though I didn't have the log in windows present while typing my message.

This happens at work and at home. Anyone else experiencing this?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Re: Automatic log out

Postby DavidS » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Yes, me.
I remarked on it some months ago, and it stopped happening, but it has been recurring in the past few days.
Irritating! :mad:
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:49 am

Me, too. Only at work, not at home, but that might be because I stay in my chair longer at work!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:22 pm

It's happening to me about twice a week.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:32 pm

I've had it happen a couple of times, but I was fooling around with cookies at the time. I assumed it was because I had reset to clear/disable cookies.

<small>[ 03-13-2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: OperaTenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 pm

This is getting ridiculous. I hit "post a reply" and I get the screen with the window I'm typing in now. Above the screen, it shows "Displayed Name:" then "barfle [log out]". All fine and dandy, but just above the "Post a Reply" banner, below the b.c logo, it says "You are not logged in."

If I try to reply when I'm not logged in, I get the blanks for my login name and password, but this screen is simply an oxymoron.

I'm not messing with cookies when this happens. I'm logged in, I've already made one post, and then, apparently while the reply page is loading, it logs me out. Go figure.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:15 pm

And it happened again, with a major post lost to the bit bucket. I hit the "preview post" button, and got a window that said I needed to be logged on in order to preview the post. It's worth noting that while this happened, the header above the "Post A Reply" bar said ">> Hello, barfle [log out]," and the "Displayed Name" said "barfle [log out]."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:29 pm

Barf, (I love writing that)If you hit the back button on your browser right away, your writing should be preserved and you can cut and paste it to a Word doc to preserve it until you get logged back in. I was unceremoniously dumped out today too.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 am

I'm learning to copy my message when I see that *%$@#! popup window.

Yes, my screen name does have a certain panache, doesn't it?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby CLarsen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Hello All,

I'm sorry for the trouble. I tried to replicate the situation on my computers but I remained logged in for over two hours.
We're moving our servers around in the coming months so I've been working on our systems to prepare for the move and a part of that will be upgrading or bulletin board software. The logging out may be a problem until then but hopefully the board upgrade will be finished within a couple of weeks.
For now, try logging out and then log back in but check the box that says "allow me to stay logged on" or something to that effect. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:59 am

Chris and Sarge, just a few more details on my symptoms:

I always check the box to stay logged in after the session ends, and when I start a new session, I am logged in. Every time, no exceptions unless I clear out the cookies. This happens both at work and at home.

I can poke around the BBB for a while, and I admit that I don't always notice when I get told that I'm not logged in and that I need to log in or register. Of course, it becomes clear when I try to post a message like this one. I have, on occasion, posted a message, gone to another thread, and attempted to post a message, only to be told I'm not logged in. This happens both at work and at home.

Similarities between the systems - both are running XP Pro SP1, MSIE 6.

And it happened again this morning.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 am

Chris and Sarge,

I have the same problem. I have even logged in and, as soon as the "thanks for logging in" window clears, I'm logged out again, although this hasn't happened in a couple of weeks. I keep the "remain logged in" box checked. This used to keep me logged in until I cleared out the cookies.

I have attributed it to a firewall problem, but I have no indication that this is so. The same problem occurs on the computer at the house. It is not a problem to log in each session, but it does sometimes log me out mid session.

On one occurance, I logged in and then began typing a somewhat lengthy message. When I hit send, it said I was not logged in. I was able to hit the 'back' button to recover my message, which I copied and pasted back into a new message.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby CLarsen » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 am

Hi all,

I did some more research and it looks like it's definitely a cookie problem and it may be caused by our site posting too many cookies and your computers automatically deleting them. I need your help for some troubleshooting and since ya’ll are computer literate, this should be cake for you.

Immediately after you logon, visit this page: http://www.beethoven.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=dumpcookies

I need to know the number of cookies at the top and then you should see three cookies that UBB owns including “login…”, “session…” and the most important is “ubber…”. “ubber” is what keeps you logged in.

Then, immediately after you get logged out, go back to the page and look at the cookies again. Post that info or email it to me at clarsen@beethoven.com . Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:32 am

Chris,

I show 20 cookies sent, of which you won 3, which are the three you mention.

V/R
Shapley

I closed Windows Explorer and loggeg back in and, of course, remained logged in this time. I'll give you the rest of the info once I get booted out.

<small>[ 03-30-2006, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Shapley ]</small>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 pm

I sent in a request, and as soon as it was in, I was logged out. Cause and effect? Who knows?

Anyway, it's still doing the auto-log-off thing. :mad:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Yep, me too. A request, then "you are not logged in."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:05 am

OK - This morning I went to log onto B.com
and Real Player asked me for my email and password that I used when signing up for their service. Then they allowed me to proceed onto Beethoven.com.

Did they change their process?
Or has someone hi-jacked the Real Player site
and now getting information they shouldn't?

Please advise......

thanks,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby CLarsen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 am

TM - Real Player could have updated or lost a cookie or two that kept you logged in to it. To double check, open Real Player and go to the HELP menu, logout, and then log back in. I don't think Real Player asks you to login, rather it woudl try to stream Beethoven and then say that you didn't have permission to listen so you would then have to login. Either way, you should be alright.

Everyone - The problem with logging out is related to our ad software and as soon as I get a chance to study up on cookies and PHP, I may be able to fix the problem. Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:38 am

Chris,
Thanks for the explanation!

I logged out and logged back in and it is working the way it should.

It's possible the cookie was lost as I am logging in from work and going through a firewall overhere.

Fortunately, I do not experience the problem with logging out.....

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby DavidS » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Chris, I hope my mail with the cookie information is of some help.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand