Crossing Paths

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Crossing Paths

Postby RC » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:31 am

Ever meet someone famous in an unexpected setting?

Remember a single casual meeting that proved significant years later?

Ever bump into someone on the other side of the world who knows your best friend from grade school?

Here's one that seems relevant for the times:

I was coming home to the US from Germany. I had just turned 13. The pilot declared an emergency and we landed unexpectedly in Frankfurt.
I remember the landing, we bounced. The ceiling panels fell out but I was so short, they only hit the head rest.
We were instructed not to leave the boarding area under any circumstances.
The concourse was totally vacant except for armed military guards.
I had been very, very ill during my stay in Germany and was on the mend. I was hungry and saw vending machines at the end of our concourse so I slipped out just to get a chocolate bar.

I stopped to eat my chocolate in another boarding area on the way back. There were some other people there. I left an empty chair between myself and an Arab looking guy. He wore a checkered kerchief on his head. I remember that I thought it looked like a picnic table cloth.

The guards gathered around us and I was a little paniced but the man in the kerchief leaned his arm over the back of the seat toward me, smiled and asked if he could have some of my chocolate. He talked funny. Of course, I shared.

I went back to the boarding area, everyone was lined up for security screening at the gate even though no one (except me), had left the boarding area. I got strip searched. Lots of people did.

When we got back on the plane, it was a LONG time before we took off. The flight attendents kept counting and re- counting. Finally, a man was dragged off the plane and we were told he'd tried to stowe away.

The arab guy was Arafat - or so we surmized at the time.

The rest of the story may be totally unconnected but isn't the whole thing just strange?
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Re: Crossing Paths

Postby rwcrooks » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:13 pm

I think I ran into Elvis this morning at Dunkin' Donuts
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:11 pm

Originally posted by RichC:
I think I ran into Elvis this morning at Dunkin' Donuts
Was he hurt?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:15 pm

No, but his jumpsuit airbag deployed. At least I think it was an airbag.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby RC » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:58 pm

Now if you'd met Elvis in a Vegas lounge, that wouldn't be unique (even if he is dead). Deploying his airbag at Dunkin Donuts qualifies though.
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby FlyingSorcery » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:29 pm

When I was a little kid (under the age of 12), Clint Eastwood was married to the sister of a man my dad worked with. My parents were good friends with this couple, in fact I still call them Aunt and Uncle, even though they are no blood relationship. Their youngest kids were similar in age to my sister and me. In '69 or '70, (wow -- has it been that long???) we went up to Monterey to stay with this family in Clint's house (the small one, but we saw the huge estate where he eventually built his current house). No, the Eastwood's weren't home, but we had a blast playing on the dunes and trying to get truckers to honk their horns at us. Creepiest things: the bearskin rug in the living room and a huge movie poster of Clint in our bedroom (probably from Hang 'Em High). You try sleeping with that staring at you.

I did meet Clint a few years after that, but it was at the funeral of his mother-in-law, so everyone was very somber. I just remember him being very soft spoken and incredibly tall! (and his son was really obnoxious)
Opera in English...about as sensible as baseball in Italian. H. L. Mencken
FlyingSorcery
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:04 pm

One day, a half century ago, I was browsing in a book store in Amherst, MA. I was looking at One ... Two ... Three ... Infinity. (Still haven't read the whole thing.) An elderly gent said "Good book". I asked, insolently, "Have you read it?" He said "Yes" and walked away. I found out later it was Robert Frost. I'm still living the incident down. Maybe this confession will help.

Wonder what he told his friends about ME.
Obnoxious

<small>[ 11-15-2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: shostakovich ]</small>
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:30 pm

A friend and I saw John Denver in Aspen probably 10 years ago. He wasn't super friendly, nor super grumpy, but he was coming out of a drug store, so he was probably in his "Hey man, can't a guy get his drugs in peace?" mode. We had only said hello though, so we didn't get any brimstone. :D

That story of Arafat is cool, and yes, quite bizarre. Did you ponder whether you were close to getting blown out of the sky? Perhaps too young to think bad thoughts like that.
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Hey FlyingSorcery,

Just a quick aside. Is Clint Eastwood his real name? The reason I ask is because I find it highly suspicious that his name is an anagram for "Old West Action". :D
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby RC » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:58 am

Benito,
Yes, I had that odd sensation not even knowing or understanding who he was. But, I think the bizarreness of the ordeal probably caused that.
The guys with machine guns didn't help.

Robert Frost...wow. You never say anything brilliant when you need to.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby RC » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:06 am

What started me thinking about this was my spouse perusing the internet learning about the circumstances of many of the recipients of the Victoria Cross.

He made a comment that there were only 13 living recipients of the Victoria Cross. When he was a kid in Africa, he attended some honorary dinner for being an aviation protegy. There were 5 Victoria Cross recipients at the black tie event. Being just a kid, he hadn't realized what a big deal it was.

He's been researching what acts earned the medal over the years and remains in awe of the paths he crossed that evening.

Makes you wonder about the thousands and thousands of people you run across in your lifetime.

<small>[ 11-16-2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: RC ]</small>
RC
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:45 am

WHen I was in college, there were two olympians who regularly worked out at teh same gym (at teh same time) I did. Every so often we'd swap greetings,weights or stations with each other.
Cyclist and javelin thrower. Names escape me.

I took a course from teh guy who came up with the "Miller Mosaic Theory" - which is big stuff for biologists.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:14 am

I was on a business trip in Phoenix, staying at the Embassy Suites after arriving in town around midnight. I got up after far too little sleep (although I'm pretty sure sleep deprivation was in my job description), got dressed, and staggered down to where they serve breakfast. On the way, I saw a very large black man with white hair that stood right straight up.

Seeing Don King before having your coffee is quite a shock. I commented to the service manager that he had put me up in a hotel with a convicted murderer.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:35 am

Howdy,

I have a brother who is a flight attendant and has been for a very long time. He has crossed paths with many well knowns. Among my favorite stories:

1. George H. Bush. Thanked my bro for execellent service and gave him a tie pin with the White House insignia on it, plus engraved initials of the former pres.

2. The guy that played Artemis Gordon (Ross Martin?) on "The Wild Wild West." He was supposedly a SUPER nice guy and gave an autographed photo.

3. A former Miss America, travelling in coach. She asked for a FREE upgrade to first class during the flight. My bro said no. She said "I'm Miss America", showed him the crown in a carry-on, and said "How about now?" By bro said no.

4. Barry Williams (aka Greg Brady). He was sitting in coach. My bro said "Hey, Greg Brady! Come on up here to first class!" And yes, he also asked if he ever "did it" with Marcia.

5. That TV minister named Schuller. He is supposedly a real jerk in person.

I'll ask for more stories, because these are a little dated.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:13 am

Originally posted by treebeau:
5. That TV minister named Schuller. He is supposedly a real jerk in person.
A coworker (whom I could not call a "friend") married the daughter of one of the assistant pastors at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, CA (Robert Schuller's base of operations). He was at the reception, and his personality is considerably different when the cameras are off (and the only time I've seen MORE camera coverage than he has in his church was at the Indy 500).

The secret to success is sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:29 am

I saw GHB working out at the rec center here once, Secret Service men and all. . .talk about funny.

Take a closer look at the elderly man wheezing as he's doing bench flys next time. . .you might get a shock. :)
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby ScottB » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:51 am

I have had dinner with Casius Clay (sp). I also walked right into Harvey Kietal(sp) in Heathrow Airport in London, he was in Bad Leiutenant, Resevior Dogs and various other movies.
ScottB
4th Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:55 am

Apparently Heathrow is THE place to see people.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't see one stinking person in the three times I've been through Heathrow. Maybe this summer right??
;)
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:07 am

I've been fortunate to meet quite a few famous people:

Robert Reich - he really is that short
Cliff Robertson - really great guy
Doc Severenson - he's as flambouyant and cool in real life as when he's performing
Placido Domingo - another really great guy
Rod Stewart - very nice
Rachel Hunter - very nice, very beautiful
Maureen McGovern - luke warm person
Hal Linden - nice guy
Marilu Henner - a real firecracker(I used to have the biggest crush on her)

Great motorcycle racers I've met:

Kenny Roberts - funny
Wayne Rainey - nice
Eddie Lawson - nice
Mick Doohan - nice
Kevin Schwantz - jerk(he crashed out the day I met him => 0 points towards the championship)
Wayne Gardener - nice
Alexander Barros - nice
Bubba Schobert - nice
John Kosczinski - pompous, but personable
Malcolm Smith - nice, but very quiet and shy

Opera singers I've worked with you may have heard of:
Richard Leech - ick
Ferrucio Faranetto - nice guy
Richard Margison - phenomenal tenor/nice guy
Jane Eaglen - nice
Sergei Larinov - funny

Richard Bonynge - nice guy, worst conductor I've ever worked with
Eduardo Mueller - constantly exuberant

All I can think of for now....

Meeting Domingo was extraordinary. When I was rehearsing for my first show with the San Diego Opera, te costume shop was still located in the Civic Theater. I had scheduled my fitting for one of my lunch hours during the week. As I walked into the hall through the backstage entrance, I heard an orchestra start playing, then I heard Domingo start to sing. My first thought was, "My God, that's #2!" :D I hadn't realized I had scheduled my fitting on the same day as his solo concert(this was April - his concert had sold out at $250 a seat the previous October). One of the stage hands told me he had just started his run through for the evening's performance, and I was allowed to go out into the house and watch it. Ihurried through my fitting,then went and sat in the audience with about four others, and watched and heard him sing for the ensuing two hours. He never marked the entire time. Listening to him sing was like hearing liquid gold. After he was finished, a small group of us got to meet him and chat for about half an hour. I got his autograph on a photocopied song list for the show. What a thrill!

<small>[ 11-16-2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: OperaTenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:10 am

I used to race against Rick Mears. I never beat him. Really great guy off the track, and a fierce competitor on the track.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Next

Return to Scott Birmingham