Summer Fun in New England

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Summer Fun in New England

Postby sadie » Wed May 04, 2005 10:58 am

It's really truly finally and at long last spring in New England and I'm ready for some fun. Always I am looking for new ideas and experiences musical and non. Any recommendations?
sadie
sadie
4th Chair

Re: Summer Fun in New England

Postby barfle » Wed May 04, 2005 11:51 am

I always enjoy minor league baseball, or maybe visiting all the towns named "Orange" you can find. Turns out there are several in New England. Go figure.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed May 04, 2005 12:47 pm

I love to pack up the dogs and husband in the car and just take off for a weekend. See where you end up and spend the weekend in some random place. (Most times we land in VT or P Town on Cape Cod. They have the most dog friendly hotels.)

There are so many great towns in New England, with little shops, good food, nice people. Buy a map, get the car serviced and see where you land!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed May 04, 2005 7:14 pm

Somebody here had the idea of tossing a coin everytime they came to an intersection to see which way to go.

They had an end point, but it took them 3 days to make a journey that normally takes about 6-8 hours. However, they saw a lot of new places and had a good time, and I'm hoping to try it some time.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed May 04, 2005 11:08 pm

How far are you willing to travel?

Do you want local, public entertainment or would you rather get away?

What have you done in New England?

Have you tried white water rafting in Maine? (I haven't but I'd like to).

Have you been to the multiple music festivals in Rhode Island?

Have you explored Boston's history?

Have you gone on a booze cruise?

Fine dining?

Gone to Acadia National Park?

Whale watching?

Gone to "The Cape"?

Taken the Catamaran to Nova Scotia?

<small>[ 05-05-2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Serenity ]</small>
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby sadie » Thu May 05, 2005 7:43 am

Serenity, I'd LOVE to go to Nova Scotia. If you've done it before can you give any more info? Where it leaves from etc?

Are you thinking the Newport Jazz Festival? Another great idea. Believe it or not there is a Purgatory Chasm in Rhode Island..It's in Middletown not spectacular but it is a beautiful spot on the ocean. I've also done the Cliff Walk in RI which is fun...

Went whale watching which I loved until the boat started rocking and I started getting green around the gills. Gave a new meaning to the phrase "There she blows"!

But I'm willing to travel- I have a lot of time off in the summer and I love to explore....Suggest away!
sadie
sadie
4th Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu May 05, 2005 1:07 pm

The Newport Jazz Festival is only one of many summer concerts in RI.

You can check the Boston Globe's website for Travel Destinations in the Weekend Planner section (boston.com).

You can get to Nova Scotia on the CAT from Bar Harbor, Maine (Acadia National Park). Check out all the info at http://www.catferry.com
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Dramamine Two (meclazine) (also sold under brand name Bonine) is pretty effective against green-gill syndrome.

And the generic name is lots of fun to say, if people arent listening closely.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu May 05, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi Sadie,

I too second Serenity's suggestion of the Newport Jazz Fest. It's a blast and you meet some really wild people.

Since you're from Mass, I'd say Provincetown, but go towards the end of Sept when most of the tourists have left Cape Cod. Or the Berkshires have some great summer events. Tanglewood, the Shakespeare festivals. Lee, Mass has great shopping and is right outside of Tanglewood. The Norman Rockwell Museum is located near there too.

In CT we have the Talcott Mountian Music Fest which is the last week of June and first three weeks in July. Each weekend is a different show and tons of fun. If you go to that, stay in West Hartford, do some shopping in West Hartford Center and check out the Fest which is right over Avon Mountain in Simsbury CT. Its only a 10 min drive from West Hartford. And West Hartford is the best town in the area to stay.

My suggestions is since you seem to have lots of time this summer, set up a whole route. Start in one place and travel all over! If you stop by the Talcott Mt Fest. let us know. Beethoven is there every year and we have a blast, come have a beer with us!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby ScottB » Fri May 06, 2005 8:51 am

If you are the out doors type I always like to find a trail to hike for a weekend. Or hit the mountain bike in random places. Usually in Connecticut. But as far as hiking trails try the Long Trail in Vermont or any part of the Appalacian Trail. Lots of great outdoors adventures to be had in New England.

But dont go alone, and always tell people where you are going and when you will be back.

If you are really want a challenge go spend the weekend hiking the Presidentals in New Hampshire or the Carter Range which is right across the street from the Presidentials literally. The Carter range gives you amazing views of the Presidentials ( Mt. Washington) and many other panaramic views of nothing but mountain tops. It is quite a challenge though but the views make up for it.
ScottB
4th Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri May 06, 2005 9:10 am

Yeah, what Scott said. You might want to consider getting a GPS device or a cell phone with GPS (global positioning system - i think that's what the letters stand for).
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri May 06, 2005 9:52 am

GPS - one of our better ideas. You're welcome, world.

NASA developed, paid for by US joint military project. Used by all.

My latest cell phone has a setting where I can choose between it telling 911 calls my location, or reporting my location as part of all calls. Nifty, eh? Getting a GPS device, of some sort, is one of the smartest things a hiker can do. Serenity gives good advice.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby sadie » Mon May 09, 2005 8:25 am

Nicole I went to Tanglewood as a little girl and haven't been back since. What a great idea. Aslo the CT music festival sounds great....is there a website?

As for anything with boats, I get soooosick just thinking about waves. This weekend I drove over the Newport and Jamestown bridges to go to Newport. Just looking at the racing waves below made me sick! I'd need to be unconscious for the ride, but would be willing to take that ferry to Nova Scotia!

I am headed to Charlestown SC and Savannah Ga in June. Any suggestions there?
Thanks everyone!
sadie
sadie
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon May 09, 2005 1:01 pm

Hi Sadie-

Talcott Mt is the summer fest for the Hartford Symphony. Here is the info from their website. It contains, dates, shows, ticket info etc. If you come into the area let us know, we can send a few names of good hotels etc.

http://www.hartfordsymphony.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=212&Itemid=105
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue May 17, 2005 10:09 am

Hi Sadie -
My brother lived in Charleston, SC for 6 years. I only got down there twice, but lots to do! I'd recommend doing a carriage ride first thing - it orients you to the city and if you get a good driver, you hear lots of amusing stories about the city's past. Just walking down by the battery is nice, especially if it's hot. Tons of good places to eat...can't remember any names, sorry! Got my Civil War jones going at Fort Sumpter (also - nice ferry ride out and generally much cooler there too). There's also a partially enclosed market downtown - lots of neat stuff to buy and people weaving seagrass baskets and other artisans at work. Hope this helps!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:43 pm

Attention all Eastie Coasties. I'm coming your way next month.

Going to leave Sandy Eggo about 30 or 31 July. Going to my aunt in Albuquerque, visit for a day, then to my sister in Denver, visit her for a while. I have motel reservations in Sharon, Mass., for the 10th through 14th of August. I'm going to drum corps shows at Gillette Stadium August 11th, possibly the 12th if Esperanza makes it to semi-finals, and probably the 12th for finals (that'll be the best performances of the year for whoever wins. And the top six or ten runners-up). I don't have to go back to work until August 22.

As you can see, there are several unscheduled days in there. I'm taking suggestions, recommendations, we'll see what fits in. I don't climb mountains, don't do hikes, all suggestions should be suitable for a fat lady with a bad knee. I've never been to your part of the world, know nothing of the roads, traffic patterns, or weather. Climate. Humidity. I have to look at the Atlantic at least once, just to say I did.

Quilt and yarn stores are always good :D

If anyone wants to see a drum corps show with my kid in it, schedule at Esperanza schedule .
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:51 pm

Hey! I thought I just answered you at another thread! Now I can't remember what the other thread was.

Which way are you taking back? Are you leaving the 14th? I wouldn't recommend going south along the east coast during hurricane season.

Any other states you plan on visiting? I love Chicago; you may want to sightsee the United States' third largest city (is officiail nowadays?). How about Niagra Falls? Do you want to cut through Canada? Did you know Interstate I-90 goes from Boston to Seattle?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:53 pm

Have you mapped where all the Beethoven.com posters reside? Washington DC has regular luncheons....
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:44 am

Hi Selma-

Sharon is near Boston. Check out the Boston Tea Party, the famous pub Cheers is right there. The aquarium is great! Also in Boston you can do tours that show you the history of the town. It's such a great place and easy to get around now that the Big Dig is over.

Or if big cities are not your thing, Salem is a little past Boston to the North. Salem is beautiful. Shopping, good eats and you can take a tour of the city and check out all the famous witch spots. The actual witch trials did not take place in Salem but in a town close by. But Salem is great and some really wild people live there. By wild I mean artist type and everyone has a story! Really neat town. http://www.salem.org/index.asp

Or you could head to Rhode Island. Providence is beautiful! But I'd suggest Newport. The Newport jazz fest is huge or take a tour of the homes. The Vanderbilt’s and other wealthy families have and had homes in Newport. Most of the homes are open to the public and you can tour the grounds along the sea side. Some of the homes will make you sick. The amount of money people have and don't know what to do with.... Here's a link: http://www.gonewport.com/index.htm
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:09 am

I went to the bookstore last weekend, bought a new US Road Atlas and a New England driving tours guidebook. Several possibilities in the guidebook, and I'm pleased to note that there is nowhere in New England farther than a "long commute" from anywhere else in New England. I mean, there's a guy in the office who commutes from El Centro, and another that drives in from Temecula.

OK, Rhode Island to northern Maine counts as a "trip" length drive. I don't think I'll go to Maine. Even though I had thought of visiting North Island, on account of the scenery looks so good in the North Island Knitting books I've got. There appears to be a hefty ferry ride involved in that.

There's another possible ferry ride, to Nantucket. It is central to a favorite SF story of mine - S. M. Stirling's "Lost in the Sea of Time" books. Nantucket looks like a whole-day or 2-day trip, though, which might not fit in.

Perhaps I should bring Dan some chilis? I have to pass by Hatch to get to my aunt in Albuquerque. Can't bring a burrito, though, it'd go bad while I'm visiting my sister in Denver.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Next

Return to Scott Birmingham