Ghost Stories !!

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Ghost Stories !!

Postby ScottB » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Ok, maybe you heard me say something about this on the air a few minutes ago but we had a discussion about ghost stories, Dan Ryan and I. First off I want to get this thread going because just about everybody I know has a ghost stories or has seen something. So....... lets hear em.
ScottB
4th Chair

Re: Ghost Stories !!

Postby madawab » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:38 pm

I've heard many, but this is one of my favorites.

A college kid is driving home along the backroads of Massachusetts late one night when he runs out of gas. He begins walking back to the last town he passed when he sees a farmhouse just off the road which he hadn't noticed before. Figuring he has nothing to lose, he knocks on the front door and asks the kind old gentleman who answers if he might have a gas can and a little fuel to get him to town. The gentleman invites him in and introduces his wife and their conversation goes long into the night. The gentleman offers the young man a room to stay the night which he accepts. The young man insists on paying for the lodging and the gas, but the couple refuse. The young man wakes up early and leaves a $20 bill on the kitchen table before slipping out. Once he reaches town to fill his gas tank, he relates the story to the young service attendant. The guy looks puzzled and says he's not aware of any farmhouse or couple living in that area. He asks the manager about it, and the manager gets a very distraught look on his face. He says, "There used to be a couple living in an old farmhouse right where you describe, but the place went down in flames over twenty years ago and took the lives of both the man and his wife." The college kid insists the manager ride with him back to the house, which he agrees to do. When they arrive all they see is charred overgrown remains of what used to be a house. The college kid screams when he sees what looks like a burned up kitchen table with a $20 bill sitting on it.
"All men die. Not all men really live." - William Wallace
madawab
Section Player

Postby treebeau » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:15 pm

Didn't we have something like this in the "Katie" section?
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby ScottB » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:38 pm

Yes, we did but I figured we would try again. Thats a crazy story BTW.

<small>[ 06-02-2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: ScottB ]</small>
ScottB
4th Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:10 pm

Before my family lived there, the house I grew up in was owned by an older couple, the husband of which had taken his own life in the garage. Before he died, "Mr. Jones" was an accomplished handyman. So was my dad, and I think that one of the reasons my folks bought the house was the excellent workshop set up in the basement. My dad said that while he was working in the shop, he often felt the presence of Mr. Jones.

We didn't have a lot of money and frequently the things my dad built were from mere scraps. He was working on a project and found out too late that he didn't have enough stock. I'm not sure if the lumber yard was open or not, but likely Dad didn't have the money anyway. He stood in the basement shop, racking his brains for what he could do, when the perfect piece of stock, cut to size, dropped at his feet from the ceiling beams. Dad has always insisted it was a gift from Mr. Jones, from one handyman to another.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:22 pm

Way cool, Angie!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:28 pm

<silent post for the late, lamented Katie forum>
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:40 pm

Let's all bow our heads and say...
"mmmmmmmmm"

Regards,
Tim "stirring it up" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby cathyflanders » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:34 am

Hey Scott
Cool set up you have here. Just thought i'd check it out. I dont have volume cuz i'm at work but i enjoyed the stories dont really have one of my own... but i am a believer Take care, Cathy
cathyflanders
Section Player

Postby tan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:14 pm

My favourite ghost story was told by a friend' s mother to me.
she was a young medical student - about in the late 40s- in the dutch town of leyden.
as a young emerging talent, a professor invited her to a dinner in their ancient family home situated on a dreamy old canal.
My friend' s mother came straight fom medical school to the party and the lady of the house gracefully offered her a room to change in to her' new look' outfit. as she showed my friend's mother the way she mentioned, that, bye the way there was this ghost of a -professor from a byegone age around, and please not to pay him any heed.
My friends mother was trying to get into her bodice, looking into the mirror, when she saw the door open and then close again, all by its self.
Ever a one for a quick repartee, my friend' s mother said" but professor! One does not treat a lady like this! It is bad manners!"
where upon the door opened again all by itsself, and then closed again, also all bytisself...
tan
don't judge book by the movie
tan
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:45 pm

Cathy,

Welcome to the bulletin board!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:47 pm

I have a "1958, Old English Rectory, 'kick ass' scary story that involves a 'Alice in Wonderland' kind of scary story that will curl your hair...and it's all true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll share it with "special friends" this weekend......

(ED. "You are so transparent.......")
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:24 am

Can't wait....
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Angie Parkes » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:13 pm

I like your story, Tan. What I'm unsure of is whether the ghost displayed bad manners by coming in to a lady's room while she was dressing, and good manners by allowing her privacy; or, if the ghost were already present in the room, bad manners by not appreciating the lady's charms and leaving the room, and good manners by returning. :)
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:41 pm

My friends mom said she was so petrified, all she thought of was how to get rid of the ghost...
personally i think the ghost just walked into the wrong room.
tan
don't judge book by the movie
tan
3rd Chair

Postby trombonepirate » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:04 pm

My favorite ghost story of all time is "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". No particular reason why. I've got a great personal ghost story but I can't type it in right now (at work). I'll post it asap.
TBP
"Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them."
--Richard Strauss
trombonepirate
4th Chair

Postby Skysorta » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:00 pm

My first English class at Cal Berkeley the Professor asked: "Who here believes in witches and ghosts?"

Out of a class of about 30 only two of us raised our hands.

And we were the only two to get A's in the class.
(laugh)
Skysorta
Section Player

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:39 pm

Welcome Sky. Let me be the first to greet your entry into the pit!
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby RC » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:01 pm

What DID happen to Katie's ghost story thread?
There were some good ones on it.
Tried to search it but came up empty handed.
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:25 pm

RC- Just call me The Magician :D
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Next

Return to Scott Birmingham