And in Other News

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: And in Other News

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 am

Germany agrees to open Nazi archive

I wasn’t aware that there were still unreleased Nazi related files. I just assumed that when the US / UK / French / Canadian were the occupying force those records would have been released.

” Germany announced Tuesday it has agreed to open the Nazi archive of 50 million records that have been stored since the end of World War II.

The Bad Arolsen archive covers 17 million people who were executed or sent to concentration camps or prisons. German Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries announced the government's change of heart in a news conference at the U.S. Holocaust Museum in Washington, The New York Times reported.”

Any opinions if there are going to be any bombshells???
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:43 am

Haggis,

Hard to say. Apparently the files have been available, with restrictions, to holocaust victims and their families.

I suppose the holocaust denial team will claim they are all fabrications.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:38 pm

Since whatever medical problems revealed are a direct result of the Nazi abomination, and since the German government and people have undergone a - hopefuly sincere and permanent - change of heart, there is nothing to be ashamed of any more.
Let all of humanity learn this lesson!
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Global Warming?

"Two U.S. explorers plan to start a four-month summer expedition to the North Pole next month to gather information on the habitat of an animal they believe could be the first victim of global warming--the polar bear," Reuters reports from Los Angeles.”

"Project Thin Ice 2006" had to call off the mission they planned last year because of—wait for it—"unusually heavy snow and ice."
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 17, 2006 1:26 am

This is an old news item, but I just heard about it today. No article, just a clip of the news story.

Beached whale in Florence, OR in 1970:

http://www.perp.com.nyud.net:8090/whale/av/whale-hi.mov

I still haven't gotten my degree in software engineering in order to figure out how to title links, sorry.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed May 17, 2006 5:28 pm

OperaTenor wrote: I still haven't gotten my degree in software engineering in order to figure out how to title links, sorry.

Step by Step
-Click on the URL button
-Replace the right bracket "]" with an equals sign
-Paste your URL
-Type a right bracket, then your title
-Click on the URL button again

That is almost exactly the same number off steps as the old procedure, just not as intuitive. If you get lost, hover you mouse over the URL button and a hint should appear above the typing box.

A site to explain it all. I think titling a URL should be a little easier too, but this works OK for me. Why don't you see if there are any solutions from phpBB that please you and request that Sarge implement it. Once again, the beauty of phpBB is you can customize it any way you want.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 17, 2006 5:44 pm

BigJon@Work wrote: Once again, the beauty of phpBB is you can customize it any way you want.

If that's the case, why don't we have "Today's Active Topics"?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed May 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Let's see, my guesses are:
-You haven't designed it yet
-You haven't found someone who knows php to design it yet
-You haven't done any research yet on phpBB.com to see if someone has designed it and made it available

or

-Sarge and Chris don't think it is important
-Sarge and Chris think "posts in the last 24 hours" is close enough
-Sarge and Chris have other priorities
-Sarge and Chris want to gain more confidence with this board before they muck with it

Choose your explanation. Any one of them works for me.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu May 18, 2006 3:12 am

If I want to write code, I'll get into software engineering instead of posting on bulletin boards.

If I want to learn all of the inner workings of bulletin board software, I'll go off somehwere and administer a board.

I've got lots bigger problems to work on than to toy with this software, or learn how to jump through hoops to try to do what was simply intuitive before, or fix what someone else broke.

I come here to read and post, not to dabble and tweak on software.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu May 18, 2006 8:55 am

OT,

I hardly consider myself computer savvy, but I've not had any problems with lost threads since the initial days of the changeover. I haven't attempted to customize the screen, but i find all the features that existed in the earlier program.

The only time I have a problem with the log-in is when I forget to check the "keep me logged in" button when I log in initially. I usually delete all cookies at the end of the day, so I have to log with the first visit of the day, but I've been able to remain logged in all day since the change-over (thanks, Chris and Sarge!). On the old, BB, you had to check the box if you didn't want to remain logged in, with this one you have to check it if you do, which I consider to be a minor difference. I don't clear the cookies on my home computer as oftern, and I have remained logged in on that one for over a week, now.

Like you, I haven't worked out an easy way to label links, so I don't. In time, I'll probably start to do it, following the method provided by BigJon.
If I find a link worth posting later today, I'll give it a try.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu May 18, 2006 11:40 am

Well, just because we're not talking about them doesn't mean interesting things aren't happening:

Missouri City Council Won't Allow Unmarried Couples With Kids to Live Together

and this:

Senate Panel OKs Gay Marriage Ban After Shouting Match

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu May 18, 2006 2:23 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu May 18, 2006 2:54 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue May 23, 2006 9:07 am

"Living Fossil" found in Coral Sea

"Living Fossil" identified

Could Global Warming lead to the return of the Dinosaurs? :D[/url]
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:20 pm

I wish I could show them my printer. It was built at around 2-3 BMB (Before Millenium Bug). :P
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:29 pm

The folks from the Smithsonian have been eyeing my collection of 5 1/4" floppy disks for years now. I hope no one discovers the 8" floppies in the attic!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Shapley wrote:The folks from the Smithsonian have been eyeing my collection of 5 1/4" floppy disks for years now. I hope no one discovers the 8" floppies in the attic!

V/R
Shapley

Wait for another 5-10 years and then put them under the hammer at Chrisite's. :wink:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:40 pm

FDA wants restaurants to serve smaller portions.

Does the FDA think people don't know how to order seconds? I was in restaurant the other day and ordered a small drink. I was told that they don't offer a small drink, only medium and large. I asked how they can have a medium if they only have two sizes. The cashier looked dumbfounded and offered no explanation. I asked why they didn't offer a small, and they said no one ever ordered small drinks, only medium and large, so they quit buying that size cup.

Most restaurants offer small portions, but people choose to order the larger offering. In steps the FDA to tell us that we shouldn't be allowed to do that, and that the have to take away our freedom of choice for the good of the nation. I'll say no more, since this isn't the Debate Team section. It's food for thought, though. just don't gorge youself on it, bad for the brain.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes