We are it!!!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:26 am

GC,

We had this topic a while back How Did You Fall In Love....With Classical Music Which gave people the opportunity to answer the second question.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Jane » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:29 pm

1) I've played the Cello since 6th grade.

2) That's what really got me listening to classical music. That and finding my parent's classical CDs. :)
“This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.” -O. Wilde
Jane
4th Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Shapley wrote:GC,

We had this topic a while back How Did You Fall In Love....With Classical Music Which gave people the opportunity to answer the second question.

V/R
Shapley

Yes but many are new since then and my 'interest' is only in how our 'sample' relates to training others ( boy 'training' has an off ring to it here...but I can't come up with a superior alternative..Ub. Ed.) to enjoy Classical music. These two questions provide a background on Forum users who probably listen and enjoy the genre. I think the answers may provide some answers as to the type of 'soil' needed for the crop in question.

My own answers are:

1. I played Eb Tuba when I was 8 years old. I continued for a few years, turning down the opportunity to study with the NY Philharmonic's Tubist (?). Stubborn youth trumps intelligence again...hindsight is a mixed blessing.
2. My father would rock me to sleep as an infant on his chest with Jazz or Classical playing...symphonies, violin solos, Errol Garner...etc
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:27 pm

I want to know what Altoid thinks of all this
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Oddly, although the Altoid frequently requests music, both at home and in the car, I dont know what word she uses. I figure it out by looking where she is pointing, and the process of elimination (hungry? tired? wet/other? diaper pin? etc....)

But OT has a better ear. He can ask her.

Oh yea - just thought of this - I think she's developing an 'ear'.
Lets OT sing as much as he wants to. Has been known to ask him to sing. Looks for his CD when choosing music in the ams. Recently, whenever I start to sing,the little critic stops me. Does the same thing to her maternal "ga-muh" too. Guess its time for mama to take those darned voice lessons..... "child" = synonym for "humility".
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Daddy's Little Girl
Does OT sing while he works, like in the movies?
Is he in the habit of humming along to a tune and then bursting into song unrequested when one of his favorite tunes comes out on the radio?
Does he sing Irish pub songs at parties?
Does he wake up and decide it's an all singing day and sing his way through everything like an opera?....there's a potential reality show...
Does Altoid correct him yet?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:25 pm

since his work is singing, I assume he sings while he works. :P
(I know what you meant.. ) :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Trained in violin for some 5-ish years. Was tolerable as long as I stayed below 5th position fingering. Needed more pinky strength. When I was ~ 10, I had about 6 months of piano. For the first 3 months, I paid out of my pocket money and loved it. Then my folks decided they should pay, and with that came the parental 'follow up' (homonym for 'nag'). The fun fled and I quit.

I'm not in love with "classical music", just some bits of it. In all genres, I prefer stuff I can sing along to. I'd be happy to learn more piano.
The violin molders, but I still have it. Its funky looking. Its a copy of a Steiner rather than of a Strad. The body has a very deep arch to it, and to my eyes Strads now look sadly flat.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:06 pm

Daddy doesn't sing nearly enough around the house, I'm sure.

Not nearly creative enough to improvise an opera out of ordinary daily activites, either. After all, he's a tenor, and that would require brains.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 pm

Opera doesnt require brains! Emotion is the requirement.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:47 am

piqaboo wrote:Opera doesnt require brains! Emotion is the requirement.

Drama! And lots of costumes. I'm pretty sure Altoid would help with the sequins and suchlike.

I'm pretty sure you can do an Aria On An Attic Fan. We'll do a little punning, and use old Greek costuming. The Iceplant Wars could be expanded to Wagnerian scope.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

singing to kids

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:32 pm

The husband and I sing to Pumpkin all the time. He got a box of 5 books from Ladybug magazine with songs and we'll go through them. I'm not good enough at reading music to figure out the tunes to the ones I don't know - but I'll just reading. Not to mention his collection of 'toddler hits' CD's - my favorite being They Might Be Giants, 'No'. It's hilarious and all original.

Since we've been together the husband and I have always changed lyrics to songs to fit situations, or just to be silly. It's come in handy with Pumpkin. When he was first learning 'Frere Jacques', he kept singing 'Where is Chaka' for the first line - as one of his daycare teacher's name is Chaka. Cute. Then one day I was trying to get him to come along and get his diaper changed (he'd stay in the same one all day if he could get away with it) and sang this to 'Frere Jacques':
Pumpkin poopied
Pumpkin poopied
Boy that smells
Boy that smells
Gotta change that diaper
Gotta change that diaper
Right, right now!
Right, right now!

He finds it funny and it will often get him going in the right direction.

While my husband will sometimes cringe when I sing (I'm probably more of a contralto than an alto, so lots of songs go out of my range - and he's got a good ear), Pumpkin doesn't seem to mind. :)
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:25 pm

originally posted by serenity:
[qb]Does OT sing while he works, like in the movies?
Is he in the habit of humming along to a tune and then bursting into song unrequested when one of his favorite tunes comes out on the radio?
Does he sing Irish pub songs at parties?[/qb]

Yes, Yes (especially on a CD), not yet but soon. One of San Diego's older Irish Pubs is terribly near.

Schmeelkie, OT is too smart to cringe when I sing. I think he manages it by focussing on his tinnitus and letting it override any noises that might be issuing from me. Altoid has not learned such tact. If I dont stop at her command, or her pained expression, she grabs my lips and squeezes them closed quite forcefully. Thus, it will default to OT to teach her Eeensie-wheensie Spider, etc.
Last night OT was coaching a guy who has a solo in our upcoming concert. Altoid started to sing along from her bedroom. The singer is a bass. The contrast was extreme (Altoid is a piccolo. Treble doesnt quite describe it)
piqaboo
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie