Lyme Disease

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Wow a Poll, how long have these been gone?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:11 am

2 days
17%
5 days
17%
2 weeks
50%
A month or more
17%

Total votes : 6

Lyme Disease

Postby BenODen_Mk2 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:11 am

I just have to say, that the pest control commercial that shows up on Beethoven Radio is well done, and has more entertainment value than most. Heard it half a dozen times now and still have to laugh at that poor woman.

"Noo, I'm not opening the door for lyme disease."

The best pest response of course is
"Just spreading the love man."

Why can't more commercials be entertaining? I mean if they're paying lots of money and taking up our time trying to get us to pay attention to them, shouldn't they be going with the best of class? Maybe one day we'll get personalized commercials.. I don't need a truck, please don't show me those commercials!

(Edit: OOOPS! We don't catch lime disease, only lyme disease.)
Last edited by BenODen_Mk2 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Benito of Denver, Mark II, oneday maybe I'll get to go back to the other side of the glass.
BenODen_Mk2
5th Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:20 am

what happened to your old SN?
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby BenODen_Mk2 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:25 am

It's sleeping. It doesn't come when I call it by name and password, nor name and email address. I'm hoping the IT guys can awaken it, but they're busy fighting real fires, not waking up sleeping SNs. Hopefully as things settle down, and we get now playing and music logs again, they'll be able to come rescue it.
Last edited by BenODen_Mk2 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benito of Denver, Mark II, oneday maybe I'll get to go back to the other side of the glass.
BenODen_Mk2
5th Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:25 am

According to the scuttlebutt, Google is attempting to create an advertising empire that will tailor ads to our preferences. The idea is similar to their AdWords on their site. The value of an ad that targets ready buyers, versus the current ad practice of spreading seeds to the wind would be of monumentally greater value to advertisers. Can you imagine the instant feedback you would get from targeted ads?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen_Mk2 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:29 am

Yah, that'd rule. Put adwords for what you're in the market for and you get wooed by all the players in the market. I'm not sure that there's 20 minutes and hour of market interest in me, however... Maybe they could get away with less advertising if it were worth more though.
BenODen_Mk2
5th Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:49 am

I like that pest control ad too. I got so curious as to what it was for, that I actually stopped what I was doing and listened to it. And now to call Corky's.... (the ad worked!)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 pm

Google rocks! I like their tasteful and site-suited ads as is. if they tailor it to users prefs it would be awesome.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:17 pm

Perhaps I wasn't clear, they want to do this with magazines and television. Imagine a magazine full of ads strictly targeted to your interests. A TV show only showing ads that you've previously indicated a preference for. :shock: I dunno if that would be a good thing or a bad thing for consumer me. But as an advertiser, it would be a whole new ballgame.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:19 pm

bignaf wrote:Google rocks! I like their tasteful and site-suited ads as is. if they tailor it to users prefs it would be awesome.

Actually they kinda suck if you administer a non-commercial website. We are frequently brought down by Google's web-crawlers ignoring our No Bots signs overwhelming the machine. :evil: :x
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen_Mk2 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:40 pm

How many bots do they HAVE?!? One bot hitting a site a day (or at least only one at a time!!) seems sufficient to make sure that they have up to date web site information from a site..

.. Seems more like the sentinels from the Matrix at this point! Hmmmf. .. :shock:
BenODen_Mk2
5th Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:24 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:
bignaf wrote:Google rocks! I like their tasteful and site-suited ads as is. if they tailor it to users prefs it would be awesome.

Actually they kinda suck if you administer a non-commercial website. We are frequently brought down by Google's web-crawlers ignoring our No Bots signs overwhelming the machine. :evil: :x

well, they're awesome then. note that awesome does not denote good or evil. they do deeds which invoke awe.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm

BenODen wrote:How many bots do they HAVE?!? One bot hitting a site a day (or at least only one at a time!!) seems sufficient to make sure that they have up to date web site information from a site..

We saw 5 at one time on a day that our site was down for over an hour. Don't get me wrong, our hosting provider has overloaded this server which is part of the problem. But nobody else knocks us off the web with their crawlers.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Ah ha! Found!

Postby BenODen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:41 pm

Hmm, interesting, I found my old registration email and figured out that my login name was Artagel, even though my display name was benito of Denver. So, uh, hm, maybe I'll ask for a name transplant.
Last edited by BenODen on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:53 pm

You can change your display name by clicking on your profile link at the top of the page.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Really? I would have thought so too, but I didn't find the place to do it? Is there a second page of configs someplace?

Edit: I made a name swap request to sysop@beethoven.com, hopefully he'll set me up. How embarassing to forget your own actual Login! LOL.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:26 am

They must have changed a setting. When the new board was first cut over, I was able to restore my preferred user name on my home account. Not anymore. :(
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 am

Ah ha! K.

My request is in with the sysop (probably CLarsen, eh?) so we'll see when they get dug out.. I notice that the media player "now playing" is working, but not the music log or seporate window's now playing. Also, the BBB has some performance kinks to work out still. (And then there's this matter
of new post notifications not working) I'll just be slightly in disguise for the time being, no *iggie. *grin*

-BenODen

(Edit: Seems to be that the music log is the only thing working RIGHT now, so uh, the debugging continues.)
BenODen
3rd Chair

Return to Radio-Active