What defines Operetta?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:55 pm

You know....I don't get Nicole's reluctance to air Gilbert and Sullivan...Heck this station plays everything from Pink Floyd to some kind of whacky banjo music (I happen to like banjo music, though). Seems like there should be room for a little light hearted comedic relief. G&S wrote some great stuff...just a happy collection of familiar and fun music that everyone knows. Maybe we could implore Scott to include some during the "opera hour".
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:24 pm

I agree that's inconsistent. but personally I wouldn't fight for it's inclusion on B.com. If I would fight for anytihng, it's more real clasical music from the 20th and 21st centuries (preferably by me) :D.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:02 pm

jamiebk wrote:...this station plays everything from Pink Floyd to some kind of whacky banjo music (I happen to like banjo music, though)...

The Pink Floyd is orchestral Pink Floyd, and the wacky banjo is playing beside a bass fiddle operated by a respectable bassist. I think Nicole Marie has a soft spot for the instrument (she plays one, too). {{Personally, I'd prefer a wacky banjo played by Pete Seeger but I'm pretty sure I won't hear that on b.com. I do have a couple of Weavers CDs, though. Old folkie stuff (modern protest marchers have no style, they camp in ditches when nobody's home.)}}

Hey, b.com has gotta try to hold a line somewhere, or they'd have no format definition at all, at all. :roll:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:54 am

That's what I keep saying: Music is an enormous field and covers countless different forms.
There's no accounting for tastes - just that that we should hope for openness (& time) to hear all the different fashions, genres, and ethnic styles, and respect each others' preferences
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:24 am

[hijack]

As I've noted in the past, I'm a bit confused by b.c's play list.

They feel a rock tune played slowly by an orchestra is "classic rock," yet they don't play any Jeff Wayne, Rick Wakeman, or Mike Oldfield, who certainly melded classical and rock music, and did so in a "serious" vein. All wrote major works that seem like they should fit anyone's definition of "classical."

I say played slowly because I haven't heard any of Boston Pop's Beatles songs, which are played pretty much at the tempo they were written in.

And, they play Leroy Anderson, the exact pieces that made the pop charts forty to fifty years ago. Not that I have anything against Leroy Anderson, it's just that I remain confused over what does and does not make the play list.

[/hijack]
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:06 am

I think that, with a few exceptions, they adhere to a pretty rigid format. They play classical and movie music. The movie music apparenlty has to comply with certain restrictions, it has to be orchestral, or performed in a classical style. Tubular Bells has made the playlist, as movie music, not as classical music.

The "Five O'Clock" rock is an exception, in that it plays orchestral rock and roll. I'm sure there are some guidelines for it, but I'm not sure how rigid they are. You will note that there are a relatively few pieces that make that cut.

I know that Nicole will not play music from musicals, and she has stated her reasoning here on the board. My only question would regard Operettas, which are not musicals, and are at least as classical as some of the modern works that do get airplay. I'm sure there's a rule there somewhere, but I've not figured it out. Some of the rules are quite arbitrary: She won't play Charlotte Church because she doesn't like her. It's good to be the queen, I suppose. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Y'all better be careful or someone will think I had an ulterior motive.'

Did we decide if Magic Flute is or is not operetta?
Because
a) if it is operetta
b) b.com keeps playing barfle's favorite aria
c) G&S certainly qualify for airtime.

That wasnt actually why I asked originally, but its a fun place to go hijacking.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:01 pm

G&S never wrote anything as piercing as barfle's favorite aria. I don't see how, say, Three Little Maids or Buttercup could hurt anything.

This is a fun hypothetical hijack. :twisted:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:39 pm

jamiebk wrote:You know....I don't get Nicole's reluctance to air Gilbert and Sullivan...Heck this station plays everything from Pink Floyd to some kind of whacky banjo music (I happen to like banjo music, though). Seems like there should be room for a little light hearted comedic relief. G&S wrote some great stuff...just a happy collection of familiar and fun music that everyone knows. Maybe we could implore Scott to include some during the "opera hour".

As this is the Debate Team board, I say "Blame Bush".
:twisted:
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:29 pm

How about a compromise? Grab your favorite Gilbert & Sullivan CD, stick it in your PC CD drive and hit Play while you surf the Beethoven website.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:20 am

Rick Wakeman is playing on my PC speakers as I write this.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Shos is right, as always; it's all GWB's fault.

Hey Barfle, I think Alan Parsons is a legitimate member of the group you cite as well.

As for G&S, while a case for including them(I too wouldn't mind hearing them once in awhile) in the programming can be made, I think it biols down to if I want to dictate programming, I need to go get a job as a PD.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:50 pm

I think it boils down to if I want to dictate programming, I need to go get a job as a PD.

Agree, but isn't this supposed to be a "request" station? Not that I am complaining...B.com does a great job with the requests ('cept G&S, of course) :lol: :wink:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:21 am

Yup, all request, as long as it's within their parameters of genre.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:28 am

OperaTenor wrote:Yup, all request, as long as it's within their parameters of genre.

Henry Ford: We'll supply a Model "T" Ford in any colour you like, as long as it is black.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:31 am

OK...OK...I give in...no more G&S "requests". How about some more "PDQ Bach" instead...we all need a good laugh once in a while.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:16 am

OperaTenor wrote:Hey Barfle, I think Alan Parsons is a legitimate member of the group you cite as well.

Indeed, and there are severa more, I'm sure.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Hokey Smoke Bullwinkle!!! Was that a little offereing from Gilbert and Sullivan in the form of the Pirates of Penzance??? Aired on Monday at 5:48PM. ....Way to go guys. Indeed, B.com does aim to please. Thanks for playing it.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm pretty sure Nicole Marie was gone home by then. With luck, she won't have noticed. :mrgreen:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 pm

Operetta?....Isn't she the one with the TV show and the book club?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team