FIFA!! World Cup! Yahoo!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Serenity » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:15 pm

Good result! Nice effort considering they were 2 men down at the start of the second half. Those Italians love the melodrama.

The US can still qualify with the right score Thursday between Italy and Czhech Republic and if the USA beats Ghana.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:07 pm

Mexico's tie with Angola was frustrating. I can see why Portugal barely won 1-0. The next game between Mexico and Portugal will decide the 1st and 2nd place in the group. The loser will probably play Argentina, who beat Serbia 6-0 and the loser will play Nederlands who is ranked number 3 in the world. Things are getting exciting but Mexico is at a disadvantage against Portugal.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:18 pm

I've actually seen part of a couple of games. Saw Ghana score a goal on the Czech Rep, and Switzerland and Togo were playing some Very Aggressive ball today.

Of course, the games are on the channel listing as Copa Mundial, and I can't understand the announcers...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Selma, you need to find some Mexican friends in San Diego to watch the game with. You're lucky you can't understand the anouncers. I dislike their commentary; they're pedantic.

If you want to listen to the game in English, try "google-ing" penguinradio and selecting the Sun World Cup audio player (from England).
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:25 am

Serenity wrote:Selma, you need to find some Mexican friends in San Diego to watch the game with...

Like, maybe, all my inlaws? Still, I'll pass. Don't want to watch a whole game.

Soccer qualifies as a real game. You can tell what's going on without the announcer, it's easy to tell if a team makes a point or not, there's no judges awarding scores, and you don't need anybody to explain the rules.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:10 am

Wow, Ghana beats the USA! And Ghana beat the Czech Republic earlier in the tournament. Very impressive!!

However, Ghana's Cinderella story may come to an end when they play Brazil in the group of 16.

One thing for me is clear though.......having seen both Ghana and Ivory Coast and their level of skill, the African talent is getting better and better and they are getting stronger!

Who knows? In 2010 South Africa, perhaps an African nation can win a World Cup on their home turf?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:02 pm

I'm also happy for all the underdogs who made it through. Ghana, Ecuador and Australia have made an impression. Maybe Korea will make it through today.

The anouncers have mentioned that Argentina seems to have the strongest game at the moment. I agree, I like their aggressive style and I doubt they'll take any precautions against Brazil if they meet. Brazil hasn't impressed anyone but showed glimpses of their alter-egos the last game. Mexico has committed a lot of mental errors and I know they can play better than what they've shown but I suspect they will lose to Argentina tomorrow. I think Argentina just might make it to the final match!

As far as the Europeans are concerned, I'm routing for Spain but Portugal has played just as good.

I'll have to go back and see what I selected before this all started.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:39 pm

Korea just got cheated for a Swiss goal that was clearly off-side. Chimchee!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:54 pm

I think Korea got gipped. France was dissapointing although they have a nice football style; Swiss have been more efficient playing.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:31 pm

The Spanish network, who repeats games at night, has a new anouncer who is just as obnoxious as the guy who is normally there. I would rather have someone who doesn't know a thing about the game call what he sees.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:40 pm

Arrrgh! Arrrghentina wins! What a good game! The better team won despite a valiant Mex defense.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:02 pm

Very entertaining game! Mexico had alot of chances. What an incredible goal by Rodriguez of Argentina in Extra Time! Fantastic skill !

Sets up a the 1st tantalizing match up of the eventual quarterfinals between home Germany versus Argentina.

Tomorrow's Netherlands vs. Portugal match-up should be equally as entertaining as Mexico and Arrrrrghentina! :o The other game, England vs Ecuador I think will be a cake walk for England.

I think Portugal will prevail in tomorrow's game! :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:25 am

England hasn't really impressed anyone yet. I'd like to see an upset just to spite those fans that are there to cause trouble. That is one thing I would like to see change. It's like the riots we have in cities that win the Superbowl or other sports championships.

If England loses, will the hooligans trash the city? If Brazil loses, how many people will commit suicide? If one player commits a costly mistake, will they be in danger (or their family)? Like the Colombian player who was murdered back home after the World Cup was played in the U.S.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:19 pm

What an ugly, boring game! I did enjoy Beckham's goal and the fans singing at the end of the game.

Portugal/Netherlands in progress...............I'm seeing too many yellow cards; 3 in 20 minutes.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:03 pm

I love drinking Guinness while watching footy! :lol:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:58 pm

WHAT A SOAP OPERA!

Breathe, Nicole, breathe!

What a nice goal by Maniche. I hope they have enough men and energy for the game against England.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 am

What a game!!! Holy Mother Mary and Joseph!

My husband almost killed the TV a few times. Good for FIFA to give the Russian ref a "No confidence" vote. That means he'll never work as a FIFA ref again. That ref lost complete control of that game and allowed too much ruff housing to go on. He did not call cards when he should have and called cards that had no business being called. What a $&$#!*#@$*&%!

Now we will see how Portugal plays against England on Saturday... down Deco. He is a great player and will be missed. Figo goes in with a yellow and Ronaldo is injured. He has heart and I think will suck up the injury and play the England game. Don't be surprised to see big Phil put in Gomes and a few other good players we have not seen play yet for Portugal. They have a good bench just waiting to play.

What a world cup so far. Teams like Ghana go far, Czech is out... what a game!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:49 am

Is this still going on?
What a snooze fest. You couldn't get me to watch if you held a gun to my head.

jk. (but I still won't watch any)

Enjoy and
Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:12 am

Can someone explain to me why Saint George's cross is the flag the English fans display instead of the Union Jack?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:26 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:Can someone explain to me why Saint George's cross is the flag the English fans display instead of the Union Jack?

Union Jack is flag for United Kingdom, including Scotland, England and Wales. England and Scotland do have their own flags (not sure about Wales).
Catmando
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie