Anything BUT Politics!

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:37 pm

Is that the same Stanley that makes the hand tools?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:41 pm

Does anyone care about hockey? :P
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:44 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:Does anyone care about hockey? :P

Used to be my favorite sport until the Jets left Winnipeg. :(

But, you are right, no one south of Minneapolis cares much about hockey.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:01 pm

I was actually a big Flyers fan growing up. I witnessed the Broad Street Bullies first hand. What a rockin' team that was. As with all my other sports fanaticism, except racing and some football, they went by the wayside when adulthood and its responsibilities took away my time to observe the games. I still read the game reports in the newspaper the next day and silently cheer them on in my head, but that is about it these days. Same for the Phillies and the Sixers. I do sit down to watch the Eagles with my boys. A sixteen game season is about right for my time constraints attention span. :P Would our world be any less if a major league baseball season was about 90 games and the basketball and hockey seasons only lasted from the end of October to February?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:33 pm

I agree, the seasons are too long! Hockey should be cut down to about 60 to 70 games, same with basketball. And baseball, 160+ games!!! Yikes! The playoffs for both hockey and basketball should be shortened also.

I follow the CFL as well as NFL. CFL is a bit longer with an 18 game season. Football is my favorite sport to watch now.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:43 pm

All sports are way too long and expensive. All sports are scheduled for just about 3 hours; baseball, football, hockey, golf. That's why I like soccer and just concentrate on the 2x45min halfs. Plus, you don't need to buy all that equipment with soccer.....and then, I'll just concentrate on the World Cup which lasts one month every 4 years. That's it.

When I watch football (my favorite because it's only 16 games long plus playoffs and once a week per team), I'll just tune in to the last quarter if the game is close.

I generally don't watch baseball unless it's the October playoffs and I "care" about the teams or it's a rivalry with something on the line. I'll never take my kids to the Red Sox, minor leagues are cheaper and much more family-oriented. Of course, all the kids care about are the junk food and the souvenirs.

I think of hockey as a fast paced soccer game on ice but I'll only watch the last part of the game. I consider the Canadian-style superior to the American -style despite who wins the Stanley (Tools :wink:) Cup. Generally, the college hockey games are much more passionate than professional games.

Basketball? Only the 3rd quarter and first half of the 4th quarter is good. I hate all the time outs at the end of close games. The most basketball I'll watch is college March madness.

Watching Golf, Bowling and Tennis on TV is torture! Watching Poker on TV is torture! I'd rather watch unusual sports and competitions like curling, rugby, cricket, sumo wrestling, lumberjack competitions, Scotland outdoor games, camel polo, etc.

My time and attention span are too short for all these LOOOONG sports.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:47 pm

I won a Stanley Cup once. It was one of those 64 ounce thermal things that says "Stanley Tools" on the side. Bright yellow, too. Hard to lose.

I don't see what the big deal is about winning it though. You can get one free if you buy a sawhorse.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:52 am

I like baseball, but won't go to see a major league game because I can't see voluntarily supporting a bunch of steroid-popped millionaire crybabies. Find a good AA or AAA minor league team, get excellent seats for $7 or so, and watch people play who want to win.

I'm a bit appalled that basketball, a game that was invented to be played indoors during the winter when you couldn't play outdoors, runs a season about ten months long.

Open-wheel auto racing really needs to get their acts together.

And I lost interest in NASCAR when they abandoned the "stock" part of their definition.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:31 am

I live in NC, don't care about hockey, don't care about the Hurricanes, and don't care about the Stanley cup (but would like to have one like Shapley's). But I know someone who attended the final game. She came back saying "We won! We won!" I said "errr, I didn't know YOU played."
:wink:

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Scott Birmingham