Ya... O.k. what ever... rant

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Fri May 05, 2006 1:49 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12634639/

Okay. All of you [you know who you are] that jumped on President Bush' past alcoholism, and on his daughters' indiscretions (The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree, etc.. Let's here you weigh in on Congressman Kennedy's situation. I'm surprised you've been so silent on it up until now, since it has all the markings of a major scandal - possible drunken driving, reckless endangerment, driving under the influence, not to mention misuse of authority.

It is significant to note that, after his collision with the security barrier, Congressman Kennedy claimed that he had to get to the Capital to cast a vote. Significant because the rules for handling Congressmen are different on their way to or from session, the Constitution mandates it. He claims he wasn't drinking, although witnesses report that he was in a tavern earlier in the evening. He blames prescription drugs. We'll never know which was to blame, since he was whisked home by the police without a sobriety test (Why didn't they whisk him to the Capital so he could cast that vote? Did the police know that voting had ended six hours earlier? What did the police know and when did they know it?)

I suppose we can expect Congress to place tighter controls on Ambien as a result of this.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri May 05, 2006 3:27 pm

What? Ted's kid is less than admirable. Rumrunner Joe's grandson uses pharmaceuticals. No surprise. And he's a professional politician - if his lips move you can assume a lie. Whole family is, um, less than stable. Prone to risk-taking. Less than prudent. If a girl dates one, she should take her own waterwings. Possibly a life raft.

That whole bunch of New England pirates is worth watching. Comparatively, the Southern politicians (Bush clan included) are tame and dull, guilty of excess partying at worst and tackiness at best. Farmers and cowboys have never been as sneaky or dangerous as coldwater smugglers.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 pm

I doubt that Kennedy has a defense..................
unless it's "Blame Bush". :D
Couldn't resist.

I'd be happy to see all congressional criminals thrown out on their duffs, party or name notwithstanding.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon May 08, 2006 12:45 pm

shostakovich wrote:I'd be happy to see all congressional criminals thrown out on their duffs, party or name notwithstanding.
Shos

Again, throw all the bastards out! We need new bastards! :idea:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon May 08, 2006 12:56 pm

Yes! Agreed! You betcha! New bastards!!

I suggest not voting for any new bastards that have ever worked as lobbyists. We need amateur bastards, not pretrained professional ones. :P
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon May 08, 2006 1:02 pm

There's a reason Teddy has never been in the whitehouse. Single-car-accident "I wasnt drinking" off-spring probably wont get there either. But, Shap, if its ok for Bush, why are you so wound up when its a Kennedy?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon May 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Piq,

I'm not wound up about the incident. I'm worked up about the fact that the Kennedy character flaws seem to be ignored by certain people that find similar character flaws in Republicans to be totally inexcusable. Rep. Kennedy was involved in a traffic accident a week before, but I did not comment on it. Then he was involved in the second one, and he was given a ride home by the police without a sobriety test, even though officers on the scene indicated that he appeared to be drunk.

Had this been a Republican, the outcry would have been incredible, as it was when Jenna Bush had her problems. I waited a while to see who would post it on the board, given that he represents a district so close to Beethoven's backyard, but no one was willing to bite. Perhaps someone was hoping we hadn't noticed?

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon May 08, 2006 2:26 pm

<snark> Oh yes, impeach him for misuse for authority. </snark>
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon May 08, 2006 3:57 pm

Shapley wrote:Had this been a Republican, the outcry would have been incredible, as it was when Jenna Bush had her problems. I waited a while to see who would post it on the board, given that he represents a district so close to Beethoven's backyard, but no one was willing to bite. Perhaps someone was hoping we hadn't noticed?

Perhaps it's because he doesn't have a stance of intolerance for people who need help with their drug abuse problem(s), so at least he's not a total hypocrite about it.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon May 08, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm not aware that President Bush has a stance of intolerance for people who need help with their drug/alcohol problems. :?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon May 08, 2006 4:10 pm

I think its more because her dad was president and claims to be directed by God. His dad is not president. So, less fun to fire the rockets at.

Carter's family sure came in for their share of flack. Its one of the miracles of the Clinton presidency that Chelsea was pretty much left alone. Or perhaps she used her considerable intelligence to be a model of boring discretion.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 pm

Politicians' children do seem to be trouble-prone, or to find their way into the limelight.
Look at Stalin's daughter, Churchill's daughter and Thatcher's son for example.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue May 09, 2006 8:31 am

piqaboo wrote:Its one of the miracles of the Clinton presidency that Chelsea was pretty much left alone. Or perhaps she used her considerable intelligence to be a model of boring discretion.

To be fair, some people did attempt to make fun of Chelsea Clinton early in her father's presidency, but they were not well received by the left or the right. Unlike Amy Carter, Chelsea did not inject herself into politics, such as posing with Abbie Hoffman.

Even now I've no idea what Chelsea's politics may be. She could be a Conservative. I think she carried herself with dignity even when she was still a teenager, and I think that's why the jokes fell flat.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue May 09, 2006 1:14 pm

DavidS wrote:Politicians' children do seem to be trouble-prone, or to find their way into the limelight.
Look at Stalin's daughter, Churchill's daughter and Thatcher's son for example.

What is the problem with Churchill's daughter? I spent some time and Google and didn't find anything damning. Stalin and Thatcher's stories have been covered in the US news.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue May 09, 2006 2:33 pm

Many many years ago Sarah Churchill was found drunk in all kinds of embarassing situations (if I remember old newspaper reports correctly).
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed May 10, 2006 9:41 pm

Sarah Churchill was an actress. They don't observe ordinary rules.

As for the Clinton years, wasn't there a buffoon Roger, and a Billy buffoon for Jimmy Carter?
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Japanese Student Kills Familty to Hide Failure

I particularly found the notes at the bottom of the article interesting. I had not realized things were so intense there.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:11 pm

suicide is more of an option there, traditionaly. they always have had the highest suicide rate.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:38 am

This post would have worked in the Honor Society thread as well, I think.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:12 pm

This post would have worked in the Honor Society thread as well, I think.

I considered putting there, but since I've already been accused of moving thread off topic, I thought I'd put in a thread without a topic. :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team