Fast Reply

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Fast Reply

Postby navneeth » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:42 am

Hi Sarge and Chris,
Could you please add a Fast Reply option to the message boards? It saves a lot of time, especially at times when the Reply page takes a long time to load.

Another request, though not as important as the previous - is it possible to increase the number of default options in the Polls section to something like 5?

Thanks. :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Sarge » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:40 am

The Number of Possible Poll Answers (options) is set to 6 (six).

Did you experience problems trying to utilize more than 4 answers?

I don't know if a "FAST REPLY" can be added anytime soon. If it's not a built-in function of the board... it would involve custom programming, and somehow have to interact with the database, and query user accounts. Otherwise any "GUEST" could post, spam, or be otherwise inappropriate at their leisure.

I know some board systems do come with this feature by default.

We will check into "modifications" and "add-ons" to see if there's something available and quick.

Sarge
I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist.
Sarge
Site Admin

Postby navneeth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:58 am

Sarge wrote:The Number of Possible Poll Answers (options) is set to 6 (six).

Did you experience problems trying to utilize more than 4 answers?

I was actually referring to the number that actually appears when I start a new poll/topic. There's just one, and I have to click Add Option for every other poll answer. Life would be a tad easier if we had 5, or even 6 as default. :)

I've conducted only one poll so far, and I don't remember facing any problems.

I don't know if a "FAST REPLY" can be added anytime soon. If it's not a built-in function of the board... it would involve custom programming, and somehow have to interact with the database, and query user accounts. Otherwise any "GUEST" could post, spam, or be otherwise inappropriate at their leisure.

I know some board systems do come with this feature by default.

We will check into "modifications" and "add-ons" to see if there's something available and quick.

Sarge

Thank you. I know at least one other phpBB forum (the Mozillazine forums) where this option is available. It would be great if we could have it here, too. Is it not possible to make sure only registered members have the fast reply option?
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:51 am

That's an option on other phpbb boards I've seen. The quick reply box doesn't appear unless the user is logged in.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Sarge » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:15 pm

There are 3rd Party Add-on modifications for a QUICK REPLY. Some are BETA (test) versions, some are Mods-in-Development. The one I was able to find for this new version of phpBB forum, has security bugs in it, that could lead to bigger problems.

All it does is put a field at the bottom of each topic, assuming you are already logged in, will re-create the same as if you hit QUOTE or REPLY. You save yourself a whole 2 seconds.

Sarge
I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist.
Sarge
Site Admin

Postby bignaf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:27 pm

actually it would save us 43 seconds at the current rate of the board. I timed how long it took for this page to open since I clicked on reply and it was 43 seconds.
and it's not my connection or machine. a typical google search opens in less than a second right now on my machine.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:37 pm

bignaf wrote:actually it would save us 43 seconds at the current rate of the board. I timed how long it took for this page to open since I clicked on reply and it was 43 seconds.
and it's not my connection or machine. a typical google search opens in less than a second right now on my machine.

I second that (may be not the 43-seconds part :P), but of late the pages have been loading quite slowly. Sometimes I don't see anything but the B.com banner/menu for a good part of a few minutes. I'm on a decent connection to notice the difference between this and other pages. Of course, the quick reply option will save us only part of the time, but any time is saved is good. :)
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:44 pm

The board seems faster today, hopefully it's not a temporary thing! :D

Some pageloads actually happen in under 5seconds, some in 10 or 20 seconds, but on average, it does seem faster in general.
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Return to Helping Hand