Hardest instrument.

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Tue May 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Navneeth,

You are correct, when Cartoon Network first debuted, they did show many of the older cartoons, including some that are now considered, even by them, to be politically incorrect. I believe the show called Toonheads, which used to provide a history lesson along with the cartoons, would still air some of them, and the narrator would explain why they were seldom seen.

Speedy Gonzales was a similar victim of political correctness, although he has found some work in recent days. He is included in newer cartoons, but without the existence of the slow, lazy Mexican mice that made up most of the characters in the old cartoons.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:01 pm

Is there "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" with any musical instruments?

For example, do you get "carpal tunnel lips" or "carpal tunnel cheeks" playing the horn? (I think of this whenever I see Louie Armstrong play).

Or how about "violin elbow" instead of "tennis elbow"?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:14 pm

Serenity wrote:Is there "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" with any musical instruments?

For example, do you get "carpal tunnel lips" or "carpal tunnel cheeks" playing the horn? (I think of this whenever I see Louie Armstrong play).

Or how about "violin elbow" instead of "tennis elbow"?

How about you Serenity, are you getting carpal tunnel from "post whoring"? :lol:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:24 pm

Yeah, I'd have "carpal fingertips" after smackin' some fresh mouth :P :lol:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:20 am

claves are pretty hard. I wouldn't want them coming towards my head at high velocity.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:31 am

Harp.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:54 am

What would be the easier of these two instruments for a 30 something to learn how to play? :)

Piano or Cello?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:22 am

I say piano.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:32 am

Cat, honey, avoid the unfretted string, at all costs. Don't care what instrument it's on. There are an infinite number of wrong notes between all the ones you want, and your ear will hear (and hate) every one of 'em, because your fingers will find all of 'em. Trombones share this problem, because of the slide.

A piano has actual notes associated with keys and you can identify your target fairly easily. If you're playing a keyboard instead of an actual string piano, you can even use headphones and practice after midnight without the neighbors noticing. This may be a useful feature.

Flutes and other wind instruments with keys or valves are also fairly easy to find the right note on. They do not share the midnight practice feature, though.

Do you hate your neighbors? Consider the bagpipes. I hear that a beginning piper is a thing of wonder.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Cat, honey, avoid the unfretted string, at all costs. Don't care what instrument it's on. There are an infinite number of wrong notes between all the ones you want, and your ear will hear (and hate) every one of 'em, because your fingers will find all of 'em. Trombones share this problem, because of the slide.

A piano has actual notes associated with keys and you can identify your target fairly easily. If you're playing a keyboard instead of an actual string piano, you can even use headphones and practice after midnight without the neighbors noticing. This may be a useful feature.

Flutes and other wind instruments with keys or valves are also fairly easy to find the right note on. They do not share the midnight practice feature, though.

Do you hate your neighbors? Consider the bagpipes. I hear that a beginning piper is a thing of wonder.

Bagpipes........
We have someone in my area who practices bagpipes all the time...
Have to shut the windows.........

I say, if you don't like your neighbors... take up the drums....

:owned:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Cat, honey, avoid the unfretted string, at all costs. Don't care what instrument it's on. There are an infinite number of wrong notes between all the ones you want, and your ear will hear (and hate) every one of 'em, because your fingers will find all of 'em. Trombones share this problem, because of the slide.

Thank you for the insight Selma. My initial thought was that the cello would be easier to pick up, as there are only 4 strings, while there are a gazillion piano keys. But obviously I was wrong.

My girlfriend's parents have a piano that I can use for practice.

Another option would be to learn the bass clarinet. My girlfriend played bass clarinet in band. Unfortunately she doesn't have her instrument anymore.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:46 pm

Ray, another nice thing about the piano is that it is the most stand-alone of instruments; it always sounds just fine by itself.

If you really want to find out all you can about pianos, go to the Piano World Forums. It's the largest piano-related bulletin board in the world, and a lot of interesting people hang out there.

Selma's right - stay away from fret-less stringed instruments.

;)
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

definitely piano. the piano tuner takes care of the intonation!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Having played all forms of saxophone (not difficult), french horn (for fun) and oboe, my vote goes for the oboe only because you have to cover up the blinking holes while maintaining everything else too. ;)
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Shapley wrote:Navneeth,

You are correct, when Cartoon Network first debuted, they did show many of the older cartoons, including some that are now considered, even by them, to be politically incorrect. I believe the show called Toonheads, which used to provide a history lesson along with the cartoons, would still air some of them, and the narrator would explain why they were seldom seen.

Speedy Gonzales was a similar victim of political correctness, although he has found some work in recent days. He is included in newer cartoons, but without the existence of the slow, lazy Mexican mice that made up most of the characters in the old cartoons.

V/R
Shapley

Why was Speedy considered P.I.?
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Apparenlty Speedy Gonzales, or rather the mice that cheered him on, unfairly stereotyped our neighbors south of the border.

I guess I was too busy laughing to notice. I would think that the fact that the Mexican mouse, Speedy, always got the upper hand against the gringo cat would be a postive thing, but I'm not really in tune with Political correctness.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm

I remain in awe of anyone who can make music come out of a box that's harder to operate than a record player.

I have played with several musical instruments, and I can usually make sounds come out of them, but nobody would ever call it music.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:49 am

mmichaelson wrote:Having played all forms of saxophone (not difficult), french horn (for fun) and oboe, my vote goes for the oboe only because you have to cover up the blinking holes while maintaining everything else too. ;)

Don't forget about making reeds......... :roll:
I'll stick with my mouthpiece! :D
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:50 pm

OperaTenor wrote:Ray, another nice thing about the piano is that it is the most stand-alone of instruments; it always sounds just fine by itself.

If you really want to find out all you can about pianos, go to the Piano World Forums. It's the largest piano-related bulletin board in the world, and a lot of interesting people hang out there.

Selma's right - stay away from fret-less stringed instruments.

;)

Thank you for the info and link OT!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:58 pm

By the way OT, how many bulletin boards are you on? :P And are you the King Whore in any of those? :P
Catmando
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team