30Q #25 Bignaf

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby bignaf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:14 pm

Catmando wrote:Ok *ig, here is my guess:

Composer: Colin McPhee?

Piece: Tabuh-Tabuhan, for 2 pianos and orchestra?

My other guess would have been: Tabuh-Tabuhan, toccata for orchestra.

:bow:

yep, you got it. though my 1900 clue was pretty big. enormous in fact. they are the same piece. inspired by Balinese music. McPhee is very well known among ethnomusicologists, since he wrote the seminal "Music in Bali." (excellent book) I love Balinese music, though I don't feel that McPhee was a great composer.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Seems like a very interesting piece 'naf. This piece was influential and groundbreaking from what I've read.

There were a few other year 1900 composers, including Hector Gratton, who was born in Quebec.

I just think Mr. McPhee was overlooked............. :poke: , right Hex? :P

Woo hoo! I'm off to do number 26.

Thanks for making us sweat on that one *ig. I admit, I knew absolutely zilch regarding my fellow Canadian composers. Zippo, natta.

The only name that came to my mind regarding classical music and Canada was Glenn Gould. :dunce:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 am

Good work, Cat!
:)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:22 am

I was expecting some "unknown", given all the "unknown" names that were tossed around. McPhee is hardly "unknown". Who'd-a-thunk?
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Hexameron » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:57 pm

I just think Mr. McPhee was overlooked............. :poke: , right Hex? :P

Oh... :oops:

I uh... *ahem* Excuse me...

*wanders to nearby wall in room* ...

... :banghead:
Hexameron
4th Chair

Postby Hexameron » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:58 pm

But really... Great job, Catmando. You nailed it and deserve some compliments for your patience and determination.
Hexameron
4th Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks Hex. :)

Maybe it shouldn't have been that difficult for all of us, given the 19th Century clue, etc. If only we had known more about the vast and storied history of Canadian classical composers. :rolleyes:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Hexameron wrote:... :banghead:

good, that's sufficient punisment, you can stop. :D ok stop! :) I'm serious stop!!! :x Dude! you'll Die!!! :evil:
bignaf
1st Chair

Re: 30Q #25 Bignaf

Postby Writtenword06 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:09 pm

Incidentally, regarding Edward Betts Manning, I have a good bio for you all. I assembled this from records obtained from Oberlin as well as Columbia University, as well as some personal papers. I am his great-great-nephew:

Mr. Manning was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, the son of Edward and Sarah Betts Manning. He was graduated from Collegiate School at St. John, N.B. in 1889, becoming second violinist of the Mozart String Quartet in the 1890s. He came to New York to study music at Columbia University under the late Edward Alexander MacDowell and under Henry Schradieck in Brooklyn.

He won a Mosenthal Fellowship at Columbia and continued his musical studies in Berlin under Engelbert Humperdinck and under Paul Antonin Vidal in Paris for two years. Upon his return to the United States he taught music from 1897 to 1904, then became an instructor in music - Ear Training and Dictation - at Oberlin College Ohio, from 1905 to 1907, while playing piano for silent movies. He kept warm feelings for Oberlin, and steered several of his student toward Oberlin. From 1908 to 1911, he was supervisor of musical instruction in New York City's public schools, and from 1914 to 1919 he was an instructor in music at Columbia University. In his later years Mr. Manning was an instructor in English at The Tutoring School, 74 East Fifty-fifth Street.

Manning's work ranged from orchestra to chamber music, songs and piano pieces. His best known compositions are: Piano Trio, Opus 11; The Tryst, Mezzo Soprano; the Opera, "Rip Van Winkle"; and the songs "Break, Break, Break" and "Now High, Now Low". Mr Manning's music had been published by Breitkopf and Hartel (Opus 4), Ditson Company (Opus 7) and Boosey and Company ("Limericks") and had been performed in this country and abroad. His opera, "Rip Van Winkle" was produced in 1919 in New York. "The Tryst" (Mezzo Soprano) was performed at Oberlin in 1907. He was also a member of the Authors' and Composers' Society of France.

His private performances earned him colorful reviews. His nephew, Laurence E Manning, writes: "Uncle Ned's new Hungarian Dances have been privately played several times during the last month and with universal applause. This rising young genius would go a lot farther if he punned less..."

Edward Betts Manning was listed in "Who's Who in America".

Edward lived at 501 West 122nd Street from before 7/11/1936 until his death in 1948. He also kept a summer home in Litchfield, Connecticut.

Edward was a regular at family gatherings. His nephew, Laurence Edward Manning, describes an amusing scene involving Edward and his brother, Charles M. Manning on January 3, 1927:

"After an hour's song and piano Mr. Edward B. asked Mr. Charles
M. 'Is there any of the old stuff you particularly remember and
want to hear, old man?'"

"After a few minutes' careful thought Mr. Charles M. emitted a
blast of pipe smoke and enunciated 'No,' again relapsing into
silence."

Edward B. Manning, seventy-four, composer and former supervisor of music in the New York City public schools system, died 3/8/1948 at his home, 501 West 122nd Street, New York, after a heart attack.
Writtenword06
Section Player

Re: 30Q #25 Bignaf

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Hello, Writtenword. Welcome to the B.com BB!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to Musical Notes