Joe Lieberman goes independent

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby piqaboo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:58 pm

And thats why the signs are in English, not Hebrew ?
I dont believe there was no intent or rxn to the US.Sollycholly.
thanks for the lift!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:08 pm

In case you haven't noticed, almost every protest put on anywhere in the world has a contingent of protesters with English language signs. Some of them with laughably bad grammar, but they are there, nonetheless. It's de rigueur for anyone who wants to be taken seriously as a leftist, fascist, anti-globalizationist or whatever anti-United State-ist you care to define yourself as.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:12 pm

so, there ya see, you said it yourself.

Now some states have something called a sore loser law, which might stop Mr Lieberman from doing what he's doing (I dont know the details of the laws, sadly). I think that would be a shame. This will be an interesting race to watch from afar. With a beer ( or 19,956 beers).
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:02 pm

I'm amazed to see the extremes in the interpretation of Lieberman's closeness to Bush and the war. Rectitude or obtuseness? I shouldn't be surprised. There's also the divergence of opinions as to whether Lieberman abandoned the party or the party abandoned Joe. The fact that he was the VP candidate 6 years ago (a fine idea at the time) has nothing to do with his position today. He could not have taken today's position in 2000.

I'm also miffed, if not surprised, by hearing or seeing "cut and run" consistently associated in sentences with the word "Democrat". I'm not aware of ANY Democrat who wants to "cut and run". Bringing the war to a conclusion short of "victory" (likely unattainable --- as more people in the military seem to be concluding) rather than "staying the (ugly, endless, disastrous) course" is what I detect as the "liberal" message. I have heard the words "cut and run" only from Republicans attempting to stick the Democrats with them.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:51 am

I, along with most of the world, have always thought the invasion of Iraq was a damn fool idea, but now you've done it, the consequences of withdrawl have to be thought through.

If the coalition forces withdraw in the face of what looks increasingly like civil war, the U.S. will lose all credibility. The U.K. already has, thanks largely to an open microphone. The little man in Tehran will crow so loudly that we'll be able to hear him from here.

His first step will be to take over Southern Iraq.

What happens after that, I can't guess. There are several scenarios; all dire. The very best is a nuclear-armed Iran. The others are worse.

What to do? Sorry, but I have no idea, except to tough it out with massive numbers of troops on the ground. It might be advisable to cut Iraq into 3, but then the bits could be picked off by Iran and Syria. The whole situation is a huge mess.

To cap it all off, Western nations are financing it all by buying Iranian oil.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:32 am

Dai,

I don't agree that it was a mistake, although I do agree that we may have underestimated the terrorists' resolve.

Shos, as I said earlier, the Democrats don't call it 'cut and run', but that is the policy. A timetable for withdrawal, regardless of the Iraqi's state of preparedness, is cutting and running. "Redeployment" is a farcical term, used to refer to the relocation of our troops a great distance away, requiring us to abandon our beachhead in Iraq in favour of some distant strike base.

If, as you seem to be arguing, the Democrat plan is to remain until the Iraqis are ready to assume command, then how is that plan different from the Bush plan?

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:18 am

Piq,

RE:
And thats why the signs are in English, not Hebrew?

I assume you mean like these:

The signs are for the Western Media, who are sure to be there covering the protests. They want the images shown world-wide, so they print the signs in English so that they may be read by the widest possible audience.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 am

Uh, Shap, those signs are photoshopped right wing "humor".
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:57 am

I know that. So what. We're talking about why the signs are in English. I posted a picture of signs in English. Sheesh!

The "American Express" take-off at the foot of the photo should be sufficient to tip people off that it is a spoof. I shouldn't have to spell it out.
Last edited by Shapley on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:02 am

Many of the un-photoshopped ones cause right-wing laughter. :rofl:
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:54 pm

There is a nasty tendency in the world to blame all ills on the US.
If we didnt have a responsibility to clean up the godawful mess we've made, I'd be voting for isolationism again. Let the world get along without us for a while. And vice-versa.

Problem is cleaning up the mess - we train troops/cops, they dont show up for work. Net result, we've trained more insurgents. We dont train em, they are never ready for self-rule? Or they do their own training?

If you dont call it a quagmire Shap, what do you call it when its spreading and getting stickier and the going is harder to find? This war is far from completely military and when our soldiers act uncivilized, its worse than losing a military battle.

Now, back to Senator Lieberman....
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:05 pm

what do you call it when its spreading and getting stickier and the going is harder to find?

I think the usual term is 'tar baby', but we're not allowed to use the usual term. :D

Do you really think the police officers being trained are turning terrorist?
Keep in mind that every recruit that shows up to stand in line for training runs the risk of having himself blown to bits for being there. More than likely those that don't show up simply have decided that the pay they receive is not sufficiently worth the risk involved.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:46 pm

We'll eventually not have enough young people willing to go fight the wars; they'll be to unfit or unwilling. Congress wil resort to conscription, then turn to paying mercenaries or bribing immigrants with the promise of future citizenship. In the end, the obelisk from the movie 2001 will appear one day, instead of the Washington monument, and we'll know what to do. :pray:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:52 pm

The world comes to an end on Dec. 21, 2012, so all we have to do is drag it out till then.

On the bright side, we'll only have to deal with four years of President Hillary Clinton. Who knows, the end of the world may seem like a refreshing change by then.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 pm

I thought August 22 of this year will be the apocalypse if the Iranians are to be believed?
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Shapley wrote:The world comes to an end on Dec. 21, 2012, so all we have to do is drag it out till then.

On the bright side, we'll only have to deal with four years of President Hillary Clinton. Who knows, the end of the world may seem like a refreshing change by then.

V/R
Shapley

What, you don't think Cheney is electable?..Oh, that's right, the Constitution now prohibits anyone from being President for more than two terms....
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 pm

You know, I do find it humorous, even if it is right-wing. :owned:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:06 pm

BigJon,

The Muslim calendar ends in 2076.

GC,

Cheney won't be the Republican's nominee. I don't think he has plans to run in any case. It'll be Guiliani or McCain, most likely, both of whom currently beat Hillary in a match-up. Even Condi Rice beats Hillary. Jeb Bush doesn't, as well as a few others with less name recognition.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:19 pm

I'd rather vote against Hillary than for someone else.
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team