Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby bignaf » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:17 am

Serenity wrote:Now why would you go out and buy and old, second hand soul?

the previous owner was Mahler. unfortunately, it was Alma Mahler.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:09 pm

The change from alcoholic to musiholic is a major upgrade. Let's all celebrate with a fifth...................

of Beethoven (or Schubert, or Shostakovich, or Mahler, or Nielsen, or ------)
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 pm

[oops!]

V/R
Shapley
Last edited by Shapley on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:35 pm

Uh Shap?
You might want to relocate that last post.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:35 am

shostakovich wrote:The change from alcoholic to musiholic is a major upgrade. Let's all celebrate with a fifth...................
of Beethoven (or Schubert, or Shostakovich, or Mahler, or Nielsen, or ------)

Funny you mention this Shos. I'm attending 10 concerts at the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra for the upcoming 2006/2007 season, which starts in September. And the first concert features Shostakovich's 5th Symphony.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:10 pm

May you have sufficient courage to meet all future challenges.

I'm pulling for you.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:48 pm

How about a symphony season that includes a 5ths of someone in every concert? it can be done very succefuly I think. there's so many great 5ths out there. asode from the 5 Shos mentioned, there's Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Dvorak,. and there's Beethovens 5th piano concerto, the 5th brandenburg concerto, Mozarts 5th violin concerto. Brahms Hungarian Dance...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:29 pm

About the only addiction I've ever had any desire to overcome was smoking. I smoked for three years and spent the next three quitting before I finally got it right.

I think realizing that the activity has negative consequences is important to being able to overcome the desire for the activity.

Good luck, especially in those winter months when antifreeze seems sooooo important!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:17 pm

barfle wrote:About the only addiction I've ever had any desire to overcome was smoking. I smoked for three years and spent the next three quitting before I finally got it right.

I think realizing that the activity has negative consequences is important to being able to overcome the desire for the activity.

Good luck, especially in those winter months when antifreeze seems sooooo important!

barfle,

I quit smoking 5 years ago. Kudos to you for keeping on trying.

Now that I have stopped drinking for nearly 6 months, every now and then I get an intense desire for sugar (especially chocolat). When that happens, I go out and buy a big chocolate bar. Many don't realize how much sugar intake you get if you drink heavily. So very often, just eating a chocolate bar or crunching on some candy will stop an urge to drink, by crushing the craving for sugar.

I hear cats like antifreeze because it's sweet. :kitty:

By the way Barfle, your name is awesome for use in the "user mash name forum" :rofl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:36 pm

bignaf wrote:How about a symphony season that includes a 5ths of someone in every concert? it can be done very succefuly I think. there's so many great 5ths out there. asode from the 5 Shos mentioned, there's Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Dvorak,. and there's Beethovens 5th piano concerto, the 5th brandenburg concerto, Mozarts 5th violin concerto. Brahms Hungarian Dance...

Agreed. Number 5 has alot of greats in the classical music world. Sibelius Symphony No. 5 is another that is part of the line up I'm attending.

Here are the 10 complete events I'm attending for the '06/07 season:

Sept. 8th
Kernis: New Era Dance
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5

Sept. 28th
Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1
Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 2
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1

Oct. 6th
Golijov: Oceana
Beethoven: Coriolan Overture
Beethoven: Symphony No. 2

Oct. 27th
Mozart: Eine Kleine Natchmusik
Mozart: Concert - Rondo in D major
Strauss: Burleske
Strauss: Ein Heldenleben (A Hero's Life)

Dec. 2nd
Adams: The Chairman Dances
Adams: The Dharma at Big Sur
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 Eroica :D

Dec. 7th
Liszt: Mephisto Waltz No. 1
Liszt: Piano Concerto No. 1
Paganini: Violin Concerto No. 1
Paganini: Moto Perpetuo

March 2nd
John Estacio: Borealis
Grieg: Piano Concerto
Sibelius: Symphony No. 5

March 23rd
Elgar: Serenade for Strings
Brahms: Double Concerto :D
Schumann: Symphony No. 3 Rhenish

April 7th
J. S. Bach: Mass in B minor

May 4th
Mussorgsky: Khovantchina: Intro
Satie: Parade
Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe: Suite No. 2
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:33 pm

almost adequate representation of modern music. good stuff.
this dude
might be my teacher next year. I hope he will.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Catmando wrote:Now that I have stopped drinking for nearly 6 months, every now and then I get an intense desire for sugar (especially chocolat). When that happens, I go out and buy a big chocolate bar. Many don't realize how much sugar intake you get if you drink heavily. So very often, just eating a chocolate bar or crunching on some candy will stop an urge to drink, by crushing the craving for sugar.
:

that's interesting, since alcohol is created when sugar dissapears, you'd think there won't much sugar. but lighter alcoholic beverages, i.e. non-distilled would probably have more.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Only if you drink it straight would their be little sugar. Most mixed drinks use sugary bevarages, or add sugar directly to the mix.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:22 pm

Shapley wrote:Only if you drink it straight would their be little sugar. Most mixed drinks use sugary bevarages, or add sugar directly to the mix.

Yup, when I drank, it was usually with soda (coke, 7up, Gingerale) which has alot of sugar.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:25 pm

bignaf wrote:almost adequate representation of modern music. good stuff.
this dude
might be my teacher next year. I hope he will.

That's so cool that he might be your teacher next year!

I'm looking forward to attending these events, as many of this music I have yet to hear and experience. I'm sure there will probably be a rise in my music collection as I listen to some of these. 8)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:31 pm

when I drink I usually opt for lower calorie options. I'm indulging one way, I don't need to indulge doubly.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby analog » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:07 am

bignaf wrote:that's interesting, since alcohol is created when sugar dissapears, you'd think there won't much sugar. but lighter alcoholic beverages, i.e. non-distilled would probably have more.

I seem to recall from Asimov that the body metabolizes alcohol first into sugar, then on down into CO2 and water. I definitely remember from my youth that sweet drinks will add a terrible headache to what should have been a minor hangover, so back then I drank Everclear to minimize the next morning's pain... never dawned on me there might be a problem..... but i digress --

Probably there's intermediate steps in the metabolism process. The candy fix may be very helpful for some chemical reason.

Good for you Cat*****!!!!!
Stay away from that no-alcohol beer, it's a trigger.
Enjoy your journey.......................pm if you wish

old jim
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:46 am

analog wrote:
bignaf wrote:that's interesting, since alcohol is created when sugar dissapears, you'd think there won't much sugar. but lighter alcoholic beverages, i.e. non-distilled would probably have more.

I seem to recall from Asimov that the body metabolizes alcohol first into sugar, then on down into CO2 and water. I definitely remember from my youth that sweet drinks will add a terrible headache to what should have been a minor hangover, so back then I drank Everclear to minimize the next morning's pain... never dawned on me there might be a problem..... but i digress --

Probably there's intermediate steps in the metabolism process. The candy fix may be very helpful for some chemical reason.

Good for you Cat*****!!!!!
Stay away from that no-alcohol beer, it's a trigger.
Enjoy your journey.......................pm if you wish

old jim

Yes, I've been told about non-alcoholic beer, and that a recovering alcoholic should stay away from such. To me, that's also a symbolic factor. It tastes like beer, so in a way it's for principles too not to drink it.

Thanks old Jim!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:13 am

Catmando wrote:I hear cats like antifreeze because it's sweet. :kitty:

By the way Barfle, your name is awesome for use in the "user mash name forum" :rofl:

Which is why I was soooo careful cleaning up after I replaced the heater core in my GMC.

And I'm far more familiar with catbarf than you can imagine. :shock:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:24 am

The sugar munching hint is nice to know. Thanks.
Those snacks are unlikely to pack more calories than a drink (booze has a ton of calories), so unlike for quitting smokers, the substitution is not as likely to lead to a weight problem.

(why do smokers "quit" and alcoholics "recover"? Just curious as I've known a few addicts/alcoholics who say that the ciggies were the hardest to give up, called to them the longest, and they had the most relapses (which is not to minimize the challenges in stopping drinking - varied and real.))

Cat, that sounds like a very rewarding concert series. I hope it proves to be so.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections