Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 am

Good for you Cat*****!!!!!
Stay away from that no-alcohol beer, it's a trigger.
Enjoy your journey.......................pm if you wish

old jim

Yes, I've been told about non-alcoholic beer, and that a recovering alcoholic should stay away from such. To me, that's also a symbolic factor. It tastes like beer, so in a way it's for principles too not to drink it.

Thanks old Jim!

Besides, non-alcoholic beer generally still has a little bit of alcohol in it (it's really hard to get it all out), and if you liked quality beer, it pretty much tastes like nothing. I was complaining to someone that during this pregnancy I'm especially missing the occasional glass of wine or beer, and they suggested non-alcoholic beer - I declined for the reasons above. On the rare occasion that we go out to eat (usually at a kid-friendly restaurant), I'll now often order a kid-oriented fruity or creamy concoction - just to have something fun. eg., watermelon lemonade, oreo milkshake, etc. Definately satisfies the sweet-tooth and I can share with my son - who always wants what I'm having. :roll:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:27 am

speaking of signature lines, I gotta change mine soon - 11 days til I'm 34!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 am

Happy almost birthday.

Heckfire lady, you're incubating #2 and you still dont qualify as AMA. How very oldfashioned of you!
(so how many ultrasounds do you get? AMA's get lots. That's the plus side of being an old bag).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:49 pm

Yeah - I'm pretty much getting this one in under the wire. Just one ultrasound for me. Well, actually, I got one early because I wasn't really sure when my last period was so they wanted to check on gestational age, so I did get two, but no more now...
She's kicking up a storm lately, so I'm not too worried about seeing what's going on in there.

I have a cousin who was 33 1/2 when she got married, had first child 18 mo later, second 14 mo after that. Don't know if she's trying to beat the age thing or just being a good Catholic...

Have a friend who just turned 35, she's having #2 in January - her #1 will be just over 2. Lots of friends who married 'late' (30+) didn't seem to wait too long to get pregnant. I was 3 mo away from 28 when we got married, not in any particular rush to have babies right away. So I was 31 when Pumpkin was born. Funny now since my mom felt like an 'old mom' at school events for me - she was 30 when I was born. I'll probably be about average. Recent stats back me up - definate rise in new moms in their early 30s-mid 30s and happily still decreasing the numbers of teen moms.

It throws me to think that there are women my age who are grandmas!

sorry about the topic drift Cat - moms of toddlers are often as distractable as their kids...

a bit on topic - people in my family tend to live really long or die early cause they're addicted to something. Although my grandma made it to 87 WITH emphysema and a bout of bladder cancer from smoking. So I never even tried cigarettes and have always been very careful of my alcohol consumption. I did overindulge on occasion, but if I was depressed, upset or whatever, I made sure I stayed away from alcohol. In college that meant getting a slice of 'Death by Chocolate' cake at the school cafe. Most people couldn't even finish a slice themselves - I hardly even didn't finish a slice. :wink:
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:59 pm

"having #2 in January - her #1 will be just over 2"
That seems like an ideal spacing. Clever friend!

Uhmmm - topic....
Oh yeah, this is on topic because incubating moms are also on the wagon!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Catmando wrote:
shostakovich wrote:The change from alcoholic to musiholic is a major upgrade. Let's all celebrate with a fifth...................
of Beethoven (or Schubert, or Shostakovich, or Mahler, or Nielsen, or ------)

Funny you mention this Shos. I'm attending 10 concerts at the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra for the upcoming 2006/2007 season, which starts in September. And the first concert features Shostakovich's 5th Symphony.

Hey, Cat, enjoy "my" 5th. There are 3 concerts that appeal to me greatly: the first, the last, and Mar 23. Think of me at those.
Shostakovich
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Shos,

I'll let you know how well they performed "your" symphony.

Those 3 concerts you mentioned do look appealing. Well....they all do to me.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing the Eroica Symphony, and have the hairs on my forearms and back of my neck stand when the 2nd movement Marcia Funebre and then falling into the transition to the Scherzo.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:51 pm

You forgot to hold up your :#1:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:27 am

Catmando wrote:Here are the 10 complete events I'm attending for the '06/07 season:

Sept. 8th
Kernis: New Era Dance
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5

Well, the opening season concert at the WSO was fantastic! Our new Maestro Alexander Mickelthwate is young, energetic and very passionate. Very personable. He talks to the audience in the concert hall lobby about 30 minutes prior to the start of every concert.

I was so happy to be there, my eyes welled up with some tears just before the start of the concert as the musicians all tuned their instruments.

Each of the 3 works were very enjoyable. The Kernis New Era Dance was unique. It had jazz, salsa and other more modern flavours in it. It even had police whistles, sirens and cap gun effects! Very unique! *ignaf, please tell your teacher I enjoyed New Era Dance very much!

The 2nd work was Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto. What a beautiful violin concerto. Tremendous virtuosity shown by the guest solo violinist, the beautiful Chee-Yun of Korea, who wore a long, flowing gorgeous red dress. Absolutely wonderful. I must get a copy of this concerto ASAP!

The final work was Shostakovich's 5th Symphony. Because I knew nothing of this work prior to the concert, I was intrigued to hear Maestro Mickelthwate described the oppressed nature that Shostakovich had to work under, in particular, in composing his 5th Symphony. Yet, even despite these limitations set upon him (not to mention the fear of being executed if his work was deemed to outlandish or rebellious by the Stalin government!), his 5th Symphony was received with such praise by the audience. This symphony has 4 very unique, distinctive movements. I really enjoyed it. Great use of woodwind and brass instruments, some having solo moments, while the strings formed the background orchestral music (which in alot of symphonies, it is usually the other way around). Brilliant. I really enjoyed this work.

Can't wait for the next concert on September 28th! :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Thank you.
Shostakovich
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:58 pm

OK, I'll tell him. :)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Have you heard it *ig?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:32 am

analog wrote:
Good for you Cat*****!!!!!
Stay away from that no-alcohol beer, it's a trigger.
Enjoy your journey.......................pm if you wish

old jim

The only thing I do is I love drinking water out of a large wine glass. I have some nice big wine glasses, and for some reason water tastes incredibly fresh and clear in wine glasses. :D Sometimes orange juice or diet coke as well. :lol:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:27 am

haven't heard it yet.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Cat: Aaron Jay Kernis said to tell you he says thanks.

speaking of famous people, I held the door for Boris Berman today.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:09 am

Catmando wrote:Sept. 28th
Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1
Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 2
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1

Woo hoo, concert tonight! :) I wish it was the # 3 version of Leonore Overture playing as that is my favorite of the three, but # 2 is very similar.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

I heard the complete 1st sym only recently and I love it!

Have a great time, Cat!
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:01 am

navneeth wrote:I heard the complete 1st sym only recently and I love it!

Have a great time, Cat!

When I first got my complete set of Beethoven Symphonies, ironically Symphony # 1 was the one I listening too the most often at first. I really loved the 1st movement and would listen to it over and over again.

It's a short and sweet Symphony. I really like the 1st and 3rd movements.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:50 am

There go those odd-numbered symphonies again. 1 and 3, sheesh, and what's wrong with 2 and 4?

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections