Iran and the Bomb

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

If Iran develops a nuclear weapon will it use it?

yes
87%
no
13%

Total votes : 23

Postby bignaf » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 am

DavidS wrote:Does anyone suppose that those crazed fanatics will be satisfied with the elimination of Israel, with no aspirations to destroy the rest of the civilised world?

yes. they'll destroy Israel. they'll either convert to Islam or enslave the rest of the world. they'll destroy those oppose this too vigorously.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:33 pm

I'm sure they haven't forgotten the "Great Western Whore".
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:34 pm

And all the pig-eaters are next!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:38 pm

I'm sure they haven't forgotten the "Great Western Whore".

Yeah, she was pretty memorable....

I thought she retired... :roll:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:56 pm

"Thanks for having me," Bush told the chancellor. "I'm looking forward to that pig tonight."

"Apart from the pig, Mr. President, what sort of insights have you been able to gain as regards East Germany?" a German reporter asked.

"I haven't seen the pig yet," Bush said.

And when an American reporter asked whether Bush is concerned about the Israeli bombing of the Beirut airport and about Iran's failure to respond to an offer for negotiations, Bush replied with more pig jokes.

"I thought you were going to ask about the pig," said the president. "I'll tell you about the pig tomorrow."
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 pm

A man was driving down the road in the country. He looked over and saw a baby pig in the field. He stopped and picked up the pig. He was driving around town with the pig in the car and a cop sees him and pulls him over.

Cop asks "Hey, What are you doing with that pig in the car?"

The driver says "Well, I just found the pig beside the road in the field."

The cop says" I want you to take that pig to the zoo!"

The driver agrees he will take the pig to the zoo.

The next day the cop sees the guy driving around again and pulls him over. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO TAKE THAT PIG TO THE ZOO!!"

He replied, "Well I did take the pig to the zoo. We had such a good time we are going to the ball game now."
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:03 pm

In other words, the President didn't want to answer the reporters question.

Ronaldus Maximus used to cup his hand to his ear and pretend he couldn't hear them under similar circumstances.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:04 pm

What's a pig's favorite ballet?

Swine Lake! :rofl:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 pm

:grouphug:

Hogs & Kisses!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Farmer Jones got out of his car and while heading for his friend's door, noticed a pig with a wooden leg. His curiosity roused, he ask, "Fred, how'd that pig get a wooden leg?"

"Well Michael, that's a mighty special pig! A while back a wild boar attacked me while I was walking in the woods. That pig there came a runnin', went after that boar and chased him away. Saved my life!"

"And the boar tore up his leg?"

"No he was fine after that. But a bit later we had that fire. Started in the shed up against the barn. Well, that ole pig started squealin' like he was stuck, woke us up, and 'fore we got out here, the darn thing had herded the other animals out of the barn and saved 'em all!"

"So that's when he hurt his leg, huh, Fred?"

"No, Michael. He was a might winded, though. When my tractor hit a rock and rolled down the hill into the pond I was knocked clean out. When I came to, that pig had dove into the pond and dragged me out 'fore I drowned. Sure did save my life."

"And that was when he hurt his leg?"

"Oh no, he was fine. Cleaned him up, too."

"OK, Fred. So just tell me. How did he get the wooden leg?"

"Well", the farmer tells him, "A pig like that, you don't want to eat all at once."
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Oink Vey!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:18 pm

In a quarter of London with a large Muslim population a pig's head was discovered at the entrance to a mosque.
The police, in an effort to keep community relations sweet, made a special effort and tracked down the bigoted perpetrator of this abominable deed.
The man was persuaded to reconstruct the crime, but expressed his surprise, saying, "I don't get it - what I left here was a whole pig!"
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:04 am

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:18 am

:rofl:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:32 pm

DavidS wrote:Does anyone suppose that those crazed fanatics will be satisfied with the elimination of Israel, with no aspirations to destroy the rest of the civilised world?

If they get away with it, they'll be bold enough to try more and more. But I'm pretty sure that if they do strike first, they will end up with a lot of glass in their landscape.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Bush’s speech

” The Iranian regime and its terrorist proxies have demonstrated their willingness to kill Americans -- and now the Iranian regime is pursuing nuclear weapons. The world is working together to prevent Iran's regime from acquiring the tools of mass murder. The international community has made a reasonable proposal to Iran's leaders, and given them the opportunity to set their nation on a better course. So far, Iran's leaders have rejected this offer. Their choice is increasingly isolating the great Iranian nation from the international community, and denying the Iranian people an opportunity for greater economic prosperity. It's time for Iran's leader to make a different choice. And we've made our choice. We'll continue to work closely with our allies to find a diplomatic solution. The world's free nations will not allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon. “

That’s a pretty bold statement. Does that mean the gloves are off on Iran? Short of armed intervention I don’t see any solution to preventing Iran from gaining nukes and I suspect neither the president nor Congress has the stomach for that.

Having said that I also suspect the butcher’s bill will be significantly higher if we do wait.

Does anyone feel confident that Iran won’t share their new toys?
I don’t think the light at the end of this tunnel is going to be of any comfort.

Can someone see any alternatives? Or should we wait and see what Iran does when it goes nuclear?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:13 pm

You have to wait and see.

And keep the troops ready in case I'm wrong. I do mean troops, BTW. Not the airforce.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:08 am

"Divine Strake" will test this thing with a non-nuke mockup warhead soon.

washingtonpost.com
Not Just A Last Resort?
A Global Strike Plan, With a Nuclear Option

By William Arkin

In the secret world of military planning, global strike has become the term of art to describe a specific preemptive attack. When military officials refer to global strike, they stress its conventional elements. Surprisingly, however, global strike also includes a nuclear option, which runs counter to traditional U.S. notions about the defensive role of nuclear weapons............

and a longer article about it here: http://www.fas.org/ssp/docs/GlobalStrikeReport.pdf
over 100 pages - a long read.

I dont know what to say. Who'll blink first? Or will they just sart shooting?
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:10 pm

I don't think they are building it not to use it. Their president is a certifiable nut job that I think will use a nuke in a New York minute and apparently believes all that mumbo jumbo he's been prattling about. And I’m pretty sure who the target will be.

We could very well see a nuclear war in the Middle East in our lifetime
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:I don't think they are building it not to use it.

We could very well see a nuclear war in the Middle East in our lifetime

All those old cold war movies came out in my formative years - Dr Strangelove, Seven Days in May, Fail Safe, Manchurian Candidate, Mouse that Roared, War Games(not the kiddie computer movie but the BBC documentary by Peter Watkins), so my psyche may be a little warped.

Those of us who remember ducking beneath our third grade school desks rehearsing for an a-bomb attack are imprinted that it's unthinkable to use a fission weapon. I for one expected worldwide common sense to prevail, like in "The Mouse that Roared" (which incidentally aired last week on TCM - an outrageously entertaining must see - watch for repeat.)

As somebody pointed out; Kruschev was a sane adversary who did not harbor a death wish. Now we may well be walking into a shootout with a movement that's ready to die en masse for whatever reason. It's taking me a while to overcome my habitual thinking and realize that sub-kiloton nukes could knock the guns out of their hands, and that's a better choice than turning the world over to them, or than turning them all into glass for that matter. So I'm glad we have a capable military and I support their keeping the mess in our adversary's sandbox.

It's like an old west showdown. Our holster was unsnapped in '94 when we approved use of our NATO a-bombs in other theaters.
I pray we do not become trigger happy.

And I'd feel a lot better if our fundamentalist commander in chief and their fundamentalist commander in chief would sit down together with their respective good books and decide how they want this chapter to end.

It might be as simple as Bush answering Ahmadinejad's letter,,
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish ... 2607.shtml , among other places

We increasingly see that people around the world are flocking towards a main focal point -- that is the Almighty God. Undoubtedly through faith in God and the teachings of the prophets, the people will conquer their problems. My question for you is: “Do you not want to join them?”
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team