Israel/Palestine et al... Who's Right?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:00 pm

[quote="GreatCarouserWhat is 'disproportionate'?[/url]

Frederick Forsyth reprinted from the British press.[/quote]

You want hypocrisy? Look at the way Amnesty International has been so quick to issue a report on Israel's "war crimes". And what the hell do they think Hizbollah has been doing? And who started it anyway?
In WW2, in retaliation for the Germans' destruction of Coventry Cathedral, the RAF flattened the town of Dresden. Who talked about "war crimes" then?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:19 pm

One might also remember a bomb run on SS headquarters in Copenhagen where the Brits missed and destryed a childrens' hospital. On another thread I link to an interview in Aljazeera with a fundamentalist cleric in Malaysia. If he is an example of the thinking driving these theocracies (and if he isn't just posturing) than negotiating with these 'people' seems a waste of time.

Don't know if you bothered to read the article beneath the one Forsyth authored but if not here is an excerpt: "...And consider what Ahmed Barakat, a member of Hezbollah's central council, said in an interview to the Qatari newspaper al-Watan:

"Today Arab and Muslim society is reasonably certain that the defeat of Israel is possible and that countdown to the disappearance of the Zionist entity in the region has begun.

"This is the reason that Shimon Peres said it was a life or death battle and this is why the triumph of the resistance is the beginning of the death of the Israeli enemy. For, if a mere organization succeeded in defeating Israel, why would Arab nations not succeed in doing so if they allied? Many Arabs and Muslims viewed Israel in a fictional way and the resistance has succeeded in changing this."

Barakat said that the leadership was not hurt and that Hezbollah was still in possession of many rockets and other "surprises" for use later.

Consider and understand well, for this is the essence of the failure: With this resolution we will have weakened our deterrence capability, and given Hezbollah the time and space to come back to hit us even harder on another day. This is simply a hudna, sanctioned by the international community. A hudna, although it is often represented as being a ceasefire, is not. It is a temporary cessation of hostilities intended to buy time for regrouping and rearming, and it is built into Muslim law...."

This is just another indication that negotiation with 'Infidels' and 'kafirs' is only a tactical device.

My great hope is the Italians will manage to enforce the ceasefire terms but I doubt it. Still, I'll give them 'face-value' props pending evidence to the contrary
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:41 pm

OperaTenor wrote: He also says the U.S./rest of the world needs to go in and beat Hezbollah to the reconstruction punch, or Hezbollah will come out of this smelling like a rose.

I've long been an advocate of this. Kill 'em with kindness. Why is this so hard to see and do?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:14 am

DavidS wrote:[

Plenty of people talked about them afterwards, though. Long afterwards, when political correctness reared its head and everything Anglo-Saxon went to the bottom of the heap.

Anyway, as I understand it, the Germans flattened rather more than Coventry Cathedral that night.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:42 pm

Quite so, dai - this "political correctness" thing has become a disproportionate obsession in some quarters, condoning the most blatant forms of injustice.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:51 pm

I'm all for political correctness, as long as it is correct.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:30 am

That's it - we must use our critical faculties and take even good things in moderation.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:18 am

Isnt Political Correctness an oxymoron?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:40 am

Like Military Intelligence.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:11 pm

Why Unifil needs a stronger mandate
Hizb bunker under UN's nose.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:45 am

Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Hamas thinks they've won. They've convinced many in Lebanon that they've won. Whats to negotiate?
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:36 pm

Well I suppose nobody has a problem with letting them live with their illusion. You know, over-confidence and pride going before their fall suit us fine.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Piq, the article refers to Hamas, not Hizballah. hard to keep track of all the groups trying to destroy Israel...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:40 pm

'naf, I realized that quite soon after I typed, and went away. Since then, meetings....
thanks for making the correction for me. most embarrassing.

You know, those terrorist groups all look alike....... :roll:
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:59 pm

we can erase everything and no one will know... :)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 am

ye gods! ye have more posts nor I!

I must resign myself to a low status on the post-whore totempole :cry:
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:26 am

Lebanon Must Disarm Hezbollah, Israeli Foreign Minister Warns

” The Lebanese government must fully implement a recent U.N. resolution requiring the disarming of the militant Shiite group Hezbollah or Israel will be less reluctant to attack the Lebanese state if Hezbollah resumes hostilities, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said yesterday.”

I’m pessimistic that Lebanon is capable, much less motivated, to disarm Hezbollah. That there will be more fighting seems inevitable but I suspect not until the current Israeli government is replaced (can you say Netanyahu?)

This is blunt language and difficult to misunderstand. Israel is essentially telling Lebanon (and the world) that if the UN can’t (won’t) uphold the language of the cease fire and disarm Hezbollah then the next war will be with Lebanon and not just Hezbollah. And international calls to hold Israel accountable to the terms of the cease fire while enabling the Hezbollah terrorists will probably fall on deaf ears.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:16 pm

I share your pessimism. You may also be right about Netanyahu as next prime minister.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:04 pm

Meanwhile there is this:French Peacekeepers Face Lebanese Ghosts
As one wag said "At least they're facing somebody"...

Then I received this e-mail:

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."

--Mark Twain

------------------------------

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
--Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."

--Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure."

--Jacques Chirac, President of France

"As far as France is concerned, you're right."

--Rush Limbaugh

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."

--Regis Philbin

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."

--John McCain , U.S. Senator from Arizona

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."

--David Letterman

"Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada."

--Ted Nugent

"War without France would be like ... World War II."

--Unknown

"The favorite bumper sticker in Washington D.C. right now is one that says 'First Iraq, then France.'"

--Tom Brokaw

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?"

--Dennis Miller

"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us."

--Alan Kent

-----------------------------

"They've taken their own precautions against al-Qa'ida. To prepare for an attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and a three-day supply of mistresses in the house."

--Argus Hamilton

"Somebody was telling me about the French Army rifle that was being advertised on eBay the other day --the description was, 'Never shot. Dropped once.'"

--Rep. Roy Blunt, MO

"The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found truffles in Iraq "

--Dennis Miller

Q. What did the mayor of Paris say to the German Army as they entered the city in WWII?

A. Table for 100,000 m'sieur?

"Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? It's not known, it's never been tried."

--Rep. R. Blount, MO

"Do you know it only took Germany three days to conquer France in WWII? And that's because it was raining."

--John Xereas, Manager, DC Improv

The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military.

French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney

(AP), Paris, March 5, 2003

The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of Paris, caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to surrender to a group of Czech tourists
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team