I know you are out there!!!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:13 pm

how do you define activity for that question, serenity?

# posts?
# posters?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Serenity wrote:If board activity remains at current levels, how long before the station decides to reduce or eliminate it? :badputer:

Don't hurt your computer!! Serenity now! Serenity now!

If that happens, you will just have to page whore on a daily basis.

But it will never happen.

Although it's a bit concerning that since I joined the board 7 months ago, Navneeth and myself are the only "new" members in 7 months who post on a regular basis. Hex is another new one that posts, but doesn't post too frequently.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:02 pm

piqaboo wrote:how do you define activity for that question, serenity?

# posts?
# posters?

That is what I am trying to "ask" the radio station; their criteria. I see I may have struck a nerve.

Hey Cat, i'm just in time to hear the Cuban Overture! :victory:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby HandelFan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:30 pm

I'm back...finally this week is almost over!
To answer your question OT - Hm, big M? I like sheep too, but to be honest, I haven't really listened to it in years! Maybe I'm not worthy to be HandelFan after all. It all depends on which version you're talking about, I guess. I'm not so much a fan of the old mega-size Mormon Tabernacle-style versions. I like it better with smaller ensembles and period versions, even when the instruments sound a bit creaky ( but for me that's part of the fun with period performances. Anyway I'm basically a musical ignoramus so a performance has to be pretty bad for me not to get some enjoyment out of it) Maybe subconsciously I have a teeny bit of a disconnect with the subject matter, not being of that persuasion, although ironically one of my favorite bits is I know that my Redeemer liveth...and the effect of "WONderful!!! COUNSellor!!!" You can't help getting swept up in the sincerity of it. Then of course there's "How beautiful are the feet.." I should dig it out and spend an evening with it soon. (I moved house over a year ago and half my CDs are still in boxes in the garage...yes I'm lazy).

Prokofiev = unfair to wolves. I guess he liked sheep too.
"And ever against eating cares, Lap me in soft Lydian airs..."
HandelFan
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:39 pm

HandelFan,

I just want to confirm, for the record, that you are not another one of OT's aliases.

Now I am suspicious of anyone from a California address. :rofl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby HandelFan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:49 pm

Definitely not his alias (unless he has some serious gender confusion issues... :P )
HandelFan
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:53 pm

Hmmm, I was wrong yet again on the gender issue. Sorry HandelF, I thought you to be male. :oops:

Although I'm sure that wouldn't stop OT. :P
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby FlyingSorcery » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:02 pm

piqaboo wrote:Angies AWOL too.
RC checks in once in a while, and Flying Sorcery just came in out of the thin blue air.

Maybe more out of the wild blue yonder!

My excuse: not enough time to do all the things I'd like to do each day. I can't seem to find/make the time to post as often as I'd like. And, truth be told, more often than not I have never heard of the musical pieces being discussed. But I can be impressed easily, so I guess that makes me a wonderful audience.
The only instrument I play is my CD player/computer (and the listening posts at Borders). Oh, I do have 2 daughters who play piano, so I guess those who can't do become a :#1: fan.
Opera in English...about as sensible as baseball in Italian. H. L. Mencken
FlyingSorcery
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:24 am

Hi, FlyingS! Long time no seehearspeak! I know what you mean about the lack of discretionary time: I've long thought that mothers ought to be issued a 30 hour day. It would help ever so much. :mrgreen:

FWIW, as they mature and launch your personal time increases. :whew: There are several of us here on the board who just listen. I even try to play the guessing games and I even guessed right, once. It was an event.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 pm

GreatCarouser wrote:Who could resist this opportunity?

"O we like sheep!" :owned:

Listening to the 2nd half of the Big "M" as we speak.

The Trumpet Shall Sound!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby HandelFan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:17 pm

Catmando wrote:
GreatCarouser wrote:Who could resist this opportunity?

"O we like sheep!" :owned:

Listening to the 2nd half of the Big "M" as we speak.

The Trumpet Shall Sound!

Excellent! I approve of this activity. What recording is it? I've got London Symphony Orchestro/Colin Davis (from the sixties, I think) and Hogwood & Co.

This board needs a singing emoticon. There's one that's called "sing" :sing: but it looks more like "who, me?"/whistling-while-trying-to-look-innocent.
HandelFan
5th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:23 pm

I like sheep, too. They're both useful and delicious. Merino or Corriedale yarn. (Sorry, Dai, NZ and Aussie and Irish and Scots sheep grow scratchy yarn.) Sheepsmilk cheese. Roast lamb with rosemary and garlic, yum. Lamb kebabs with tzatziki sauce. Tandoori lamb. Mutton posole.

Oh, you meant the music. Yes, the Handel sheeps are also very nice.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby HandelFan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:35 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Sheepsmilk cheese. Roast lamb with rosemary and garlic, yum. Lamb kebabs with tzatziki sauce. Tandoori lamb. Mutton posole.

You forgot to mention sheeps' eyeballs :shock: - considered quite a delicacy in some places!
HandelFan
5th Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I like sheep, too. They're both useful and delicious. Merino or Corriedale yarn. (Sorry, Dai, NZ and Aussie and Irish and Scots sheep grow scratchy yarn.)

Depends where you get your wool from, Selma. There is some very fine stuff coming out of the South Island these days. It ends up in Saville Row suits.

"All we like sheep have gone astray
Hooray hooray hooray hooray!"

:keyboard
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:05 pm

The Big M suffered during the 60s & 70s from Directoritis. Countertenors instead of women, boys instead of women, "authentic" versions (ignoring all Handel's rewrites) and the result was a fine display of directors' egos. I suspect modern versions have got over that, since Directoritis seems to be fading (unless I'm getting used to it!) so I should look one out. At present, I prefer my very ancient and no longer sonically acceptable version from 1946 (I think), by Sir Malcolm Sargeant and the Huddersfield Choral Society. It has an absolutely superb choral version of "Their Sound is Gone Out", among a host of excellent performances; and of course, The Sheep, in a nice lively performance.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:14 pm

HandelFan wrote:
Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Sheepsmilk cheese. Roast lamb with rosemary and garlic, yum. Lamb kebabs with tzatziki sauce. Tandoori lamb. Mutton posole.

You forgot to mention sheeps' eyeballs :shock: - considered quite a delicacy in some places!

Naaaah! Trying roasting sheep in a pit in the ground during a wedding and then partaking in biting the steamed testicles as an aphrodisiac. :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:44 pm

or Tuvan sheep blood sausage, consisting of sheep blood poured into their intestines, and cooked. no spices.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby FlyingSorcery » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:55 pm

Aussie wool may be scratchy, but Aussie lamb on the BBQ is to die for.

Daughter #1 is taking a textile class this year - she's hoping to intern on a sheep ranch, or better yet, an alpaca ranch.
Opera in English...about as sensible as baseball in Italian. H. L. Mencken
FlyingSorcery
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:59 pm

This thread has gotten gross.
Almost ready to go Vegan
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:12 am

Serenity wrote:
HandelFan wrote:

Naaaah! Trying roasting sheep in a pit in the ground during a wedding and then partaking in biting the steamed testicles as an aphrodisiac. :flex:

Let us know how that works for you, Serenity!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie