Streaming Radio outside the US?

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Streaming Radio outside the US?

Postby annettehala » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm

As some of you know I live in Japan. We get most of our radio, music, and news over the internet. Beethoven has been my classical radio station for 4~5 years now! Anyway, last week we went to Newsradio 805 KOA out of Denver to listen to the Broncos football game. A box came up that said, "We are sorry but due to licensing restrictions we are not able to allow access to the content you are requesting outside of the United States." We wrote the station and received the following e-mail.
"Clear Channel Communications had recently blocked content to overseas locations because licensing regulations do not allow music content to be broadcast outside the United States. Unfortunately, streaming on 850 KOA will be blocked overseas while we investigate whether these regulations apply to our News/Talk station formats."

What do you think about this?

Annette
annettehala
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi, Annette, and welcome back from your long silence.

I think it's a bad deal, but one we'll probably see more and more of. Governments are looking at the freedom of the internet, and they don't like it. They see it as being ripe for regulation. The UN wants that control, as do local governments.

We had a discussion on the internet gambling issue recently, and some of see it as the 'foot in the door' that the US government will use to impose regulation (and taxes) on internet commerce. Broadcast licensing will be a similar ploy. Right now, sports broadcasting enjoys a monopoloy on many sports programmes, usually through pay-per-view broadcasts. Internet radio and streaming video threaten that monopoly, and they aren't happy about it.

I look for major changes in the years to come.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:00 am

There's a big hunt for music & video pirates going on here. Nobody's suggested yet that streaming be stopped, presumably because the stations operate with a broadcast licence and nobody has yet suggested that net streaming isn't broadcasting.

I would think that what a station does with its own material (mainly news & sport) is entirely its own affair. Perhaps the Broncos' licence to the station was specifically for that station's local area.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:17 am

It would be sad if access to Internet streaming were blocked - I do know of it happening in other cases.
I just wonder if operating on some kind of subscription basis might solve the licensing or whatever problem?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 am

My wife and I spent most of our lives in the Los Angeles area, and some of the stations we listened to there stream, but some do not because of licensing issues, according to them.

What's funny about that is the licensing seems to be more for the commercials than for the programming. One station plays music on the stream while some commercials are playing, but lets others through. Other stations simply have given up streaming completely. I'm sure some lawyers are picking up fees for figuring this out (or at least saying they have figured it out).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby annettehala » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:37 pm

I hate to see government involved in the internet. We have enjoyed access to so many things being over here. Up until now our greatest annoyance has been companies who will ship overseas, but don't have their system programmed to accept an overseas billing address.
Is there any chance that "The World's Classical Radio Station" will be limited to the U.S.A. in the future?

At this point none of this really matters too much since I am moving to the States in a month anyway.
annettehala
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:01 am

Annette,

Welcome to the States, in that case. Maybe you can catch a ride with Presenter. I received an e-mail from Mrs. Presenter saying they were coming to the States in September. I wonder if they'll make it in time for 'Guitar under the Stars'.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby annettehala » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:29 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about Shapley. :dunce: Congratulations! That was your 4444th post. :rofl:
annettehala
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 pm

Annette,

Presenter is a Japanese guitarist sometimes played on Beethoven.com. He plays classical music on electric guitar. Dan Masseli first introduced us to him, and I like his music. I have all five of his CD's, which I've bought directly from his website.

His wife is his business manager, and is probably the nicest person in the business. She frequently sends me an e-mail to let me know how they are doing. They will be coming to America in September, which is why I joked that you could catch a ride with them.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:01 pm

annettehala wrote:... I am moving to the States in a month anyway.

Excellent! :cool: Where will you be settling? School? Work? Plans? Judging from the vacation photos you've posted, you are already familiar with most areas. :grin:

If you come through Sandy Eggo, OT will want to drag you out to Fat Ivor's, and feed you beef ribs. Be warned.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:11 am

Fat Ivors... Yum!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:09 am

Hi Annette!
Good to hear from you again!

Yes, to where are you moving, and for why?
Is your sister coming too? Your parents?
Or are you launching from the family nest?

Will you document your adventures in pix as in times past?
I really enjoy your travelogues.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Does Fat Ivors have a website where I can fly some ribs over here? :pacman:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:52 pm

Allo annette. So, you've been over there for 5 years, since the trip you documented here, huh? That was indeed fun to read about and see picures of it. I'm with Selma though, watch out for the food ambushes, I get the distinct feeling that most folk around here have food on the brain more often than can be counted. :D
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Night of the Living Dead....
food on the brain. :P
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 pm

"Food, glorious food..."
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:18 pm

mmmm Gelato. Ya know, there's a place in Boulder that has some pretty good Gelato.. Maybe that'll my B.Com visitor outing, at least till someone tells me that it's just no comparison and to give it up. :mrgreen:
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Mmmm, Gelati!

I'm within a 2 minute walk of 2 great gelati places here in The Peg.

My favorite is a scoop of super dark chocolate and a scoop of mandarin orange! :yum:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:32 pm

For me - either vanilla or passion fruit or lemon sorbet with frozen yogourt.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 am

One of the Smithsonians has a gelato bar, but it's not the same. :(
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Next

Return to Radio-Active