Canada

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Canada

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:56 pm

Let me re-phrase that:
No state income taxes. We still get charged the traditional 8.25% sales tax, but the state doesn't add anything to that. And only federal income tax gets taken out of my paycheck besides my insurance and SS monies.
It's great.
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Re: Canada

Postby Angie Parkes » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:15 pm

Saxy, is that the felicitous result of being an oil-producing state?
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:01 pm

Vive le Canada! The Switzerland of the America continents!

I didn't realize there was a Canada thread. Wish I had been on the board back then, to provide some input along with Marye and Angie.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Actually, I'll just post my rant about Canadian money here, in the Canada thread. How aprepos (spelling :? ).

My "pet peeve" regarding Canadian money and coins is the fact that the Queen of England is on the back of all our coins, and her picture is on the front of our $20 bill :rant:

I would rather see another important Canadian historical figure (perhaps a former Prime Minister of Canada) or an important Canadian icon such as Alexander Graham Bell, Terry Fox, Tommy Douglas, etc. in the place of.

End of rant.

Dai, do you have the Queen of England on NZ currency?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Mr.Bell was Canadian? That's news to me.

We used to have one Mr.George (the filth..er...the fifth) in our coins, but not any more.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:34 pm

I don't think he was born in Canada, but I believe he lived most of his life in Canada.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm

About 12 years, before becoming a naturalised citizen of the U.S. (as per Wikipedia)
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Catmando wrote:I don't think he was born in Canada, but I believe he lived most of his life in Canada.

I was wrong. He didn't live most of his life in Canada. I think Canadians want to claim him as being Canadian, but I don't think it's a valid claim, IMO
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:21 pm

"I would rather see another important Canadian historical figure (perhaps a former Prime Minister of Canada)"

How about Bullwinkle? He was Canadian wasn’t he? He sure talked funny and didn’t he live in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota ? Isn’t that a Canadian province or county or parish or whatever they call them up there?

"and her picture is on the front of our $20 bill "

Is her back on the other side? Don't worry I don't think she would be offended :roll:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Why isn't the Queen of Canada on the Canadian bill? :D

Actually, she'd be on ours, too, if not for the actions of some freedom loving fellows who had the forsight to change things. As a result, at least one of them took the Queen's place on our money. :)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Shapley wrote:Why isn't the Queen of Canada on the Canadian bill? :D
V/R
Shapley

Who would this be.....Celine Dion? :yuk: No thanks!

I would rather have H.R.H. on our bill. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:49 pm

How many Democratic Presidents versus Republican Presidents are on U.S. currency? Is Benjamin Franklin the only non-President to on U.S. money?

How many Democrats vs. Republican Presidents has the U.S. elected since the beginning?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:43 am

Catmando wrote:I would rather have H.R.H. on our bill.

Nicole Marie's Canadian too? :?

:D
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:52 am

Catmando,

From the U.S. Treasury

” United States currency notes now in production bear the following portraits: George Washington on the $1 bill, Thomas Jefferson on the $2 bill, Abraham Lincoln on the $5 bill, Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill, Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, Ulysses S. Grant on the $50 bill, and Benjamin Franklin on the $100 bill.

There are also several denominations of currency notes that are no longer produced. These include the $500 bill with the portrait of William McKinley, the $1,000 bill with a portrait of Grover Cleveland, the $5,000 bill with a portrait of James Madison, the $10,000 bill with a portrait of Salmon P. Chase, and the $100,000 currency note bearing a portrait of Woodrow Wilson.”

So, there appears to have been three bills with non-presidents; Hamilton, Franklin and Chase

Here's a trivia question. What U.S. currency (i.e. penny, nickle, dollar bill, etc) has never had a token (bill or coin) issued by the U.S. mint?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:08 am

Haggis@wk wrote:There are also several denominations of currency notes that are no longer produced. These include the $500 bill with the portrait of William McKinley, the $1,000 bill with a portrait of Grover Cleveland, the $5,000 bill with a portrait of James Madison, the $10,000 bill with a portrait of Salmon P. Chase, and the $100,000 currency note bearing a portrait of Woodrow Wilson.”

Thanks for the info, Haggis!

Interestingly, in grade 4 I believe I drew a picture of a $100,000 not w/ Woodrow Wilson on it. :lol: (I have no recollection as to why I did, obviously it was for some school project, I just don't remember the specifics).
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 am

My cousin had a thousand dollar bill (I have no idea where he got it from) and used to carry it around in his wallet. He loved pulling it out and asking folks at the supermarket if they could make change.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Catmando,

From the U.S. Treasury

” United States currency notes now in production bear the following portraits: George Washington on the $1 bill, Thomas Jefferson on the $2 bill, Abraham Lincoln on the $5 bill, Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill, Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, Ulysses S. Grant on the $50 bill, and Benjamin Franklin on the $100 bill.

There are also several denominations of currency notes that are no longer produced. These include the $500 bill with the portrait of William McKinley, the $1,000 bill with a portrait of Grover Cleveland, the $5,000 bill with a portrait of James Madison, the $10,000 bill with a portrait of Salmon P. Chase, and the $100,000 currency note bearing a portrait of Woodrow Wilson.”

So, there appears to have been three bills with non-presidents; Hamilton, Franklin and Chase

Here's a trivia question. What U.S. currency (i.e. penny, nickle, dollar bill, etc) has never had a token (bill or coin) issued by the U.S. mint?

Yes, thanks for the info. I'll have to wait for my bank to open Monday to check on my $10,000 bills, but I'm sure your information is correct. I don't understand the trivia challenge. What does "currency" mean, if not a token? By the way, I've seen a half cent coin and a half dime (not a nickel) coin.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:38 pm

Good Heavens? Salmon P. Chase??!! Sounds like an event at a lumberjack olympics. How do they pick 'em? Chase was the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court at the time of Andrew Johnson's impeachment trial, Secretary of the Treasury and many other things. Can we look forward to Rehnquist on our money next? Maybe QEII wouldn't be bad after all.....

Salmon Portland Chase
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:01 am

Shos,

There is an official unit of U.S. currency for which a bill or coin was never issued.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Gold bars or ingots?
shostakovich
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team