How About This One?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby HandelFan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:21 pm

Sorry I can't help with you with your twelve whatsits, but this has reminded me there's a nice collection of LvB overtures on this Musical Heritage set:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=306
It includes Consecration of the house which is a really lovely piece as I recall. It probably has the other overtures as well, I think it's one of those "complete" sets. (I used to have this set in CD format, don't know what happened to it :( )
"And ever against eating cares, Lap me in soft Lydian airs..."
HandelFan
5th Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:46 pm

Can someone explain to me what "Without Indication" means?
Take a look at some of the titles of the sample clips - click here.

Thanks.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:05 pm

I guess how I read "without indication" as meaning without indication of tempo or pace of the music work, such as Allegro, Adagio, Molto Vivace, etc.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:47 pm

But some of the others also don't have any tempo indication, yet they are not marked "without indication." (Air, Bouree, Hornpipe... )
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:13 pm

on the top left corner of the score (below and left of title) you will usually have a tempo indication of character indication, or with standard dances, a dance name (which will let you know an associated tempo). so the without indication movements have nothing written there.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:39 pm

According to Wikipedia - The tempo for the Water Music was determined by the speed and spacing of the barges, so it is understandable that the tempo would not be noted, since time and tide would affect the final determination of it.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:00 pm

Shapley wrote:According to Wikipedia - The tempo for the Water Music was determined by the speed and spacing of the barges, so it is understandable that the tempo would not be noted, since time and tide would affect the final determination of it.

V/R
Shapley

That seems to make sense. Also, I think I read it in that article, the order of the suites was not 1,2,3 (or F,D,G) for the same reasons. With so much variation, no wonder George I could listen to it thrice within a few hours. :D (not that it's bad, but I don't think I can listen even to the "most beautiful piece of music" so many times within such a shot span)
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:43 pm

Hmmm, looks like great value for your money!

Mozart: Complete Works
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:08 pm

didn't someone post a link to an article about this somewhere? or maybe I got it in email...
it's really popular in Europe. if you just wan't the repertoire, and you want all Mozart's dances, this is for you. (or even if you don't want the dances, you can use then as coasters, they don't cost much more [but they have a hole in them...]).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 pm

Hey *ig, you just gave me a great idea on how to get some use out of some of my old pop/rock/metal CD's that I no longer listen to! :P

I heard a beautiful Piano Trio on my way to an A.A. meeting tonight, by Mozart. I had not heard any Mozart Piano Trios until tonight. I believe it was K. 254
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:57 pm

I heartily agree re: your proposed use of pop CD's. :rofl:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:04 pm

Either that or use as frisbee tossing at the office! :rofl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:59 am

Challenge of the week:

Find a single-disc "Greatest Hits" or "Best of" compilation Beethoven CD that does not have either the Symphony # 5 "Fate" Mvt. I Allegro Con Brio as the opening work, and/or the final work on the disc Symphony # 9 "Choral".

I have never found one! :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:48 am

Here you are.
link :P

EDIT: Sorry, didn't look at all tracks. :oops:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:42 pm

I can't imagine a "best of" that didn't include the 5th.

Also, the link had some conductors that appeared on Pilz discs: Nanut and Lizzio. I hope Scholz is in there somewhere.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:56 am

shostakovich wrote:I can't imagine a "best of" that didn't include the 5th.

Nav, although the 9th Symphony were the two final tracks, I'm impressed that you found one where the 5th wasn't the 1st track, with it being the Egmont Overture in lieu.

Shos, I can't imagine any 'best of LVB' that wouldn't have either the 5th or 9th Symphony myself. I only wanted to point out that they are usually (actual almost always) the 1st and Final tracks on the 'best of' CD's.

And to be honest, for LVB's case and many of the great composers, no "best of" compilation does justice. There is always something lacking. I have an "Ultimate Beethoven" 1 CD, which was the 1st Beethoven CD that I ever bought. It is a fairly poor representation as far as "Best of CD's" go. Many tracks only include portions of movements. A good example of a poor representation of a work on this particular disc is the 1st movement of the Violin Concerto. Well, it is only a 3 minute excerpt of the 1st movement, which is all orchestral, with absolutely no solo violin to speak of. :rolleyes:

However, this CD and a standalone copy of the 9th Symphony got me "hooked" on LVB for life, to the point where I have a substantial LVB collection! :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:39 pm

Catmando wrote: Well, it is only a 3 minute excerpt of the 1st movement, which is all orchestral, with absolutely no solo violin to speak of. :rolleyes:

:?
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:40 pm

you really need at least 5 CD's for a best of Beethoven album...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 pm

I heard Brahms Hungarian Dance # 4 and really liked it.

Any recommendations for good performances of the Hungarian Dances?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Hexameron » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:21 pm

Challenge of the week:

Find a single-disc "Greatest Hits" or "Best of" compilation Beethoven CD that does not have either the Symphony # 5 "Fate" Mvt. I Allegro Con Brio as the opening work, and/or the final work on the disc Symphony # 9 "Choral".

Well this one doesn't have the fifth, but it has the ninth.
Hexameron
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes