Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:01 am

6th is my fav, though. :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:06 am

Shapley wrote:There go those odd-numbered symphonies again. 1 and 3, sheesh, and what's wrong with 2 and 4?

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. :)

Shap, I've mentioned before that I really enjoy Beethoven's 4th, and I even setup a poll where I mentioned that I think his 4th Symphony is his most underrated. Come to think of it, I really like the 4th Symphony of Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler and Dvorak. :D

I also really like Pastoral # 6.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 am

Or perhaps Shap, you are the "odd" one for not preferred the "odd" numbered Symphonies. :rofl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:21 am

Speaking of Dvorak, I've listened to the 8th once, and it was an immediate hit with me (Should request it one of these days). I actually looked for a CD containing both 8 and 9, but alas, there were none. :( (7 and 8, 9 and cello concerto, etc.)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:36 am

navneeth wrote:Speaking of Dvorak, I've listened to the 8th once, and it was an immediate hit with me (Should request it one of these days). I actually looked for a CD containing both 8 and 9, but alas, there were none. :( (7 and 8, 9 and cello concerto, etc.)

I'm surprised there isn't a CD with both the 8th and 9th. I know I've seen some with # 7 and # 9 on it.

I like 4, 7, 8 and 9 of Dvorak. The slow movement of the 8th is probably my favorite Dvorak. I haven't heard his cello concerto.

I also enjoy his Notturno in H-dur, and American Suite.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:37 am

The Gigantic Odd Conspiracy. (Have you noticed Star Trek movies 1, 3, and 5 are better than 2, 4, and 6?)

I like that nice bouncy melody in B's 7th, too. At least I think it's Mr. B. Probably the 7th. Where's my coffee?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:37 am

I'm surprised there isn't a CD with both the 8th and 9th. I know I've seen some with # 7 and # 9 on it.

It's part of the conspiracy. I think the Odd Fellows are behind it. Probably initiated by the Odd Father himself.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:46 am

Catmando wrote:
Catmando wrote:Sept. 28th
Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1
Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 2
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1

Woo hoo, concert tonight! :) I wish it was the # 3 version of Leonore Overture playing as that is my favorite of the three, but # 2 is very similar.

Concert Review:

Overall, a good concert. It was at a different venue this time. It was at the 100 year old Walker Theatre (now called Burton Cummings Theatre). I definitely prefer the regular Concert Hall. However, for the smaller orchestra required to play the 3 works, it was adequate. The acoustics were fine, and it provided a small intimate setting between orchestra, conductor and audience.

Leonore Overture and Symphony 1 were played flawlessly well.

Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony was not a work that is quite my cup of tea, but it had some good moments. It was interesting to see the much pared down orchestra for this work, as I was able to pick out alot easier the individual sounds of the various instruments, and their inter-relationships. Tres cool!

Next week......LVB's # 2 Symphony!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:28 am

Shap, I've mentioned before that I really enjoy Beethoven's 4th, and I even setup a poll where I mentioned that I think his 4th Symphony is his most underrated. Come to think of it, I really like the 4th Symphony of Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler and Dvorak.

I also really like Pastoral # 6.

Now, you know we can't let a simple thing like facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:04 am

Shapley wrote:Now, you know we can't let a simple thing like facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

Righto!

'Cause we know facts and conspiracy theories don't mix. :P
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:16 pm

"God of my own understanding, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

'Twas a rough day at work. :( I'm glad I'm at home relaxing and unwinding. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:52 pm

:grouphug:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:21 am

My girlfriend and I were wondering the other day......

In countries such as France and Italy (and I'm sure many other countries also) where wine is a regular staple at the family table as much as cream & sugar for coffee, what (if any) affect does that have on the percentage or degree of alcoholism in the country? :|
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:38 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:54 am

Thanks for that Shap.

Quite the difference of perspective and perception on the disease of alcoholism in Europe vs. US/Canada.

Very interesting.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:00 am

I've always heard that rates of alcoholism were lower in Europe than in America. It doesn't seem to matter what the drink of choice is, either - Germany rates lower, too, and beer is the preferred drink there. I also saw a report that beer is replacing wine as the drink of choice in Spain and Portugal, but it didn't cite statistics so I didn't reference it here.

Russia and many FSU countries reportedly have higher rates than here in the U.S., but I haven't found an article citing the statistics. If I do, Ill post a link here.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:08 am

Shapley wrote:I've always heard that rates of alcoholism were lower in Europe than in America. Shapley

But is that based on the European perception of what alcoholism is and what defines an "alcoholic"?

If Europe held the same definition as North America, would their rates be lower?

I wouldn't technically be considered an "alcoholic" in Belgium or Holland. :?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:28 am

I think that's a big part of it. The definition is tilted somewhat. It is clear that Russia and the FSU countries have a problem. Europe I'm not so sure about.

I think the definition in the U.S. are stricter in order to inflate the statistics to 'epidimic' proportions. I don't deny that there is a problem, but I'm not sure the statistics are useful in determining the level at which it exists.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:05 pm

It's pretty clear that the european and the north american views of "what is an alcoholic" are not the same. But it leads me to wonder - do we have a clear definition of what an alcoholic is? For anywhere?

In europe, it appears that public drunkenness or rowdiness associated with alcohol is "alcoholism". Big emphasis on the "public" part of the definition. What is the north american definition? Is there a definition? Is it a set of degrees-of-alcoholism? Or a binary thing, like dead or pregnant?

My own view is that anybody whose drinking negatively impacts my life has a drinking problem - their drinking, my problem. The only way I've found to deal with it is to end the relationship. This fixes my problem, but I've never found a way to fix somebody else's drinking.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:36 pm

AA has a list of questions to help identify an alcoholic.

the key ones seem to be - does drinking interfere with your doing other things you want to / have to do.

I'll go google and see if I can find the list.

[/list]
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections