FINALLY!

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby BenODen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:43 pm

Congrats! Which ones are you a soloist in? Or are all these the solo roles and you're in the chorus for the 5th?

Piq, methinks you're going to need a TALL hat too. In pink.
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:11 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
piqaboo wrote:...a season-ticket holder at the Opera! :shock: :shock: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, wow. Will you have to buy one of those silly miniature-binoculars-on-a-stick? And act all dignified and proper? :crazy:

OT came to the marriage complete with mother-of-pearl encrusted opera glasses (no stick).
I shall use those (unless I get nerdy and use my binoculars).

Dignified....if only someone would show me how! :wistful: I will rely on my natural height and snotty expression to convince folks Im being dignified, despite my actual behaviour.

?tall pink hat? What am I missing here? :feeling dumb icon:
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:17 pm

piqaboo wrote:
?tall pink hat? What am I missing here? :feeling dumb icon:

It's the retro old new wave in high class head wear! No southern belle should be without one, and you're as south as Gawga, so you qualify. You need a 2 foot tall lacy hat. As with any high class habit, it requires servants to navigate, but in your case, we'll allow Altoid to put in the hair pins. (Runs to invest in hair pins, having just started a fad requiring loads of them...)
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:51 pm

BenODen wrote:Congrats! Which ones are you a soloist in? Or are all these the solo roles and you're in the chorus for the 5th?

Piq, methinks you're going to need a TALL hat too. In pink.

Hi Ben,

No solos, all chorus work. The principles aren't hired from the same group that sings in the chorus - almost like two different leagues.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BenODen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Ahhh, K, interesting. Do people get called up to the other league with any regularity? :flex:
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:26 am

BenODen wrote:Ahhh, K, interesting. Do people get called up to the other league with any regularity? :flex:

It's like a whole different career path. The opera business is quite competitive in the US for people who want to be principle singers(main characters) these days. They go to college as vocal performance majors(normally), compete in various vocal competitions around the country, and apply for apprenticeships/internships at various opera companies around the country. They may sing in the chorus of an opera company in the process of doing all of these other things, but that's not their primary objective. As a result, the "industry" is really geared toward youth. For instance, there are no competitions for singers above the age of 38, and apprenticeships and internships are only given to students. BTW, those are the primary vehicles to landing principle roles. In the course of these programs, singers may be given "comprimario", or small, secondary roles in productions. Comprimario roles are the prelude to bigger roles.

It's a rather convoluted and age-discriminatory path.

Those of us who concentrate on being choristers are a different breed altogether. Most of us sing in the chorus as a part-time second job, and have 9-5 jobs. Most are school teachers, as a matter of fact, and a lot are private voice teachers as well.

One of the biggest differences between principles and choristers is travel. The principles are always on the raod, and the choristers stay put.

FWIW, I figuure there are about 20,000 people at most on the entire planet who do what I do. That's exclusive ennough for me. :D
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:06 am

piqaboo wrote: I just realized I am moving in to a segment of society where I never ever imagined I'd find a place. I'm going to be .....
a season-ticket holder at the Opera! :shock: :shock: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't forget to wear all three socks! A high class lady wouldn't dream of being caught dead without all three . . .
:twisted:
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:58 am

OperaTenor wrote:
BenODen wrote:Ahhh, K, interesting. Do people get called up to the other league with any regularity? :flex:

It's like a whole different career path.

OperaTenor wrote:One of the biggest differences between principles and choristers is travel. The principles are always on the raod, and the choristers stay put.

FWIW, I figuure there are about 20,000 people at most on the entire planet who do what I do. That's exclusive ennough for me. :D

Cool. Yah, getting to stay put in one place is a definite plus. Sounds like a good deal to me! Bummer about the age discrimination still, though... Ah well, ya do what ya can and enjoy it.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:12 pm

I've been gone a bit, so I missed the news announcement, but please accept my belated congratulations on yet another season of straining those vocal chords.

Is "Get laryngitis" anything like "break a leg?"
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 am

Thank you!

No, "break a leg" is the one we want.

Definitely...
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 pm

break a leg. I'll send over a 18 year old driver if you need help.
bignaf
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Musical Notes