Bush did one thing right

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Bush did one thing right

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:41 am

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... lp1.app23b

ASPCA Hails Passage of PETS Act

Unanimous Vote by Congress Recognizes Importance of Including Pets and Service Animals in Emergency Planning

(NEW YORK, NY) October 11, 2006 -- The ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) today applauded the signing of the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act into law by President George W. Bush late last week, as a significant move in ensuring that the needs of those with pets and service animals are taken into account while planning for disasters and emergencies.

“This law clearly acknowledges the very special place pets have in our lives and hearts,” said Ed Sayres, president of the ASPCA. “When America was ravaged by natural disasters last year, the thought of giving up or leaving behind their pets was heart wrenching for the thousands of Americans in the affected areas.”

The refusal of rescue agencies to evacuate pets with their owners after Hurricane Katrina received widespread criticism, and was a key factor in further complicating human rescue efforts, since several pet owners refused to abandon their pets during evacuation.

The federal law will require all states to present the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) with pet evacuation plans before receiving federal funds for emergency preparedness. The law also authorizes FEMA to provide additional money to create pet-friendly shelters and provide special assistance to pet owners.

“Now the American people know that in event of an emergency, they will not have to choose between their personal safety and that of their pets simply for lack of planning,” continued Sayres. “By signing this bill into law, the President has acknowledged the importance of, and elevated, the human-animal bond.”
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Re: Bush did one thing right

Postby analog » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:08 am

Nicole Marie wrote: ASPCA Hails Passage of PETS Act

The federal law will require all states to present the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) with pet evacuation plans before receiving federal funds for emergency preparedness. .”

If it gives FEMA more power or money it's a bad thing.
If it keeps FEMA from further harassing homeowners it's a good thing.

I hope it further trivializes FEMA, and helps out some critters too. That'd be two good things..

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Shucks. I thought this was gonna be where GWB conceded to Al Gore after all.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:35 pm

If it comes to a choice of people or pets, people.

If there is no need to make such a choice, why refuse to transport the pet?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:40 pm

It sounds like this "law" simply acknowledges the importance of pets. Big deal! I doubt anything will actually change. Besides, Bush probably added another signing statement to his Guiness world record. Maybe I just can't believe he did something right, ruining a perfect record.

Molly Ivins (yes, a liberal) wrote about him the following back in 2000 or 2001: "What you see is not what you get. What you hear is not what you get. What you get is what you get". And with signing statements, what he signs into law is not necessarily what you get.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:55 am

I for one, am glad that this has been clarified. Katrina pointed out (sadly) that there was a real need to define the role and treatment of pets when any disaster occurs. No provisions were made for pets at all, and even in situations where they could be accomodated, people were denied that option. Dealing with a disaster is bad enough without having to deal with seperation from, or perhaps the agonizing and inhumane death of a pet during a disaster. In such a case, I would not leave my dog behind anymore than I would a family member.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:32 pm

Pets are family, for my money. I like the idea. You all know who I don't like. :evil:
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:18 pm

shostakovich wrote:Pets are family, for my money.Shos

I think most families who have pets think of their pets as part of the family. And what about people who don't have alot of "human family" remaining, yet have a pet? That pet is probably closer to them then anything else.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:39 pm

"....The federal law will require all states to present the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) with pet evacuation plans..."

Again, FEMA does nothing except shout directions. .
Why do we need them at all? Useless busybodies.

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance..." (declaration of independence)

Fire the lot of them. Let the state EMA's self direct.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:42 am

I'm all for letting the State's take care of their own. The argument in favour of FEMA is that they lack the resources. FEMA doesn't own equipment, but acts as a coordinator for various government response agencies, directing them into disaster regions. During the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, people kept asking "Where's FEMA", as if they expected a fleet of armoured FEMA vehicles to roll through like mechanized Santa Clauses handing out goodies - that's not the way it operates.

The new law only appropriates Federal funds to aid in pet evacuations, which is all FEMA can do. The State's have to submit a plan in order to receive funding. Of course, would you just have them write checques without a plan for emplementation?

Of course at some point during the next emergency somebody will complain that they were left behind while people's dogs were taking seats on the evacuation buses, and President Bush will get the blame for being insensitive....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Thank you Shap. I never thought of that. Ever ready to blame Bush. :D
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby analog » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks fellows. Bush may be Shos' whipping boy, Fema is mine.
I never forgave FEMA for decreeing to residents of the Keys we could no longer use the first floor of our homes,, that our carpets and kid's furniture had to go. King George had nothing on these guys.
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nfip/frinsstr.pdf
Wait'll they come to a town near you.

I want FEMA kept powerless. Brownie was perfect.
Chasing stray cats would be a good mission for them.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:48 am

oops posted this on the wrong thread, go to the war on terrorism
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team