Your collection

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Catmando » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:39 pm

shostakovich wrote:I've been on a Schubert kick lately. I've heard half a dozen "Tragic" Symphonies on CD. My favorite performance is by Wolfgang Sawallisch, but it's on vinyl.

My Brahms Orchestral Works collection is conducted by Wolfgang Sawallisch, which happens to also include Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 3

There is not a single work that I do not like. Outside of Beethoven, it is my favorite collection.

I need some more violin concertos in my hands soon. Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Paganini, Mozart, and Bruch (I know little of him, but heard the Scottish Fantasy and liked it). Oh, and Sibelius. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:39 am

Shap,
The only CDs I found on the discount bin, which I don't think is a regular "part" of the store, are old pop albums which went bust and some old (a decade or so) hollywood movies. :rofl:

I don't see many non-English CD's in the WC section. The text on the Bach CD (EMI Classics) is French, though.

Btw, I, too, noticed that you have one Brahms too many. :wink:

Shos,
Thanks for the recommedations. It's been a week since I got those (Paganini, PIT & Sibelius) and I've not listened to them even once! Either someone else is watching TV or they are sleeping and they don't want the music too loud. :rolleyes:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Do you have a large vinyl collection?

Yes. Unfortunately, I don't have turntable connected to my stereo currently, so they're just collecting dust.

I catalogued them a while back, but can't find the file.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:51 pm

I've added these to my collection:

Montero, Gabriela plays Chopin, Falla, Ginastera, etc. (2 CD's)
Rachmininoff Moments Musicaux (6) for Piano in E minor
Prelude for Piano No. 16
Etudes Tableaux, for Piano
Scriabin Prelude for Piano in D flat major
Prelude for Piano in E flat minor
Prelude for Piano in G major
Etude for Piano in C sharp minor
Falla La Vida Breve, First Spanish Dance
Granados Goyescas (Dandies in Love) pieces (6) in 2 Books for Piano
Ginastera Danzas Argentinas
Chopin (2) Nocturnes for Piano
Fantasy-Impromptu for Piano in C-sharp Minor
Liszt Mephisto Waltz (I & II) for Piano No. 1
Montero Improvisation on Rachmaninov's Vocalise, for Piano
Improvisation on Bach's Goldberg Variations
Improvisation on Chopin's Noctrune in D-flat
Improvistaion on Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 (Second Movement)
Improvisation Inspired by Scriabin
Improvisation on Duermete mi nino
Improvisation in the style of a Tango
Improvisation on Granados' Quejas de la maya el ruisenor
Improvisation in the style of Bach
Improvisation on Chopin's Prelude in A
Improvisation in Blue
Song for Natalia and Isabella

Mahler Das Lied von der Erde Klemperer/New Philharmonia Orchestra/Philharmonia Orchestra

Mahler Das Knaben Wunderhorn Szell/London Symphony Orchestra

Suwanai, Akiko Poeme
Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Cappricio, for Violin and Orchestra in A minor
Havanaise for Violin and Piano in E major
Lalo Guitare, for Violin and Piano in B minor
Chausson Poeme for Violin and Orchestra
Kreisler Sicilianne and Riguadon in the style of Francoeur for Violin and Piano
La Precieuse in the Style of Louis Couperin for Violin and Piano
Berlioz Reverie et Caprice for Violin and Orchestra
Ravel Tzigane, Rhapsodie du Concert for Violin and Piano

Suwanai, Akiko Dvorak: Violin Concerto; Sarasate: Carmen Fantasy, etc
Sarasate Zigeunerwiesen for Violon and Piano (Gypsy Airs)
Concert Fantasy on themes from Bizet's Carmen, for Violin and Orchestra
Dvorak Mazurek for Violin and Orchestra, in E Minor
Violin Concerto in A Minor (2 versions)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:23 pm

all those improvisations on the Montero CD look fascinating. I'm a big fan of improvisation, though CD's don't seems like the right medium for it. let me know if they are any good.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 am

I hope to have a chance to listen to it this weekend. I'll let you know.

The improvisations are on a 'bonus' CD that came with the Chopin, Falla, Ginastera, etc. CD.

I listened to the Suwanai Dvorak CD last night. She is a very impressive violinist. I'm looking forward to listening to the other one soon.

Mahler's Das Lied is a remastered version recorded in the 60's, as the Wunderhornp CD. I played a couple of selections last night, to make sure they didn't sound like they were perfoming in a box (I'm leary of remasterings, although this one came with good reviews). It sounded very good. I have Das Lied on vinyl, but I have only heard Wunderhorn on the radio, and only excerpts, at that. So I'm looking forward to hearing both in their entirety.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:43 pm

Bignaf,

I did have a chance this weekend to listen to the Gabriela Montero CD's. She does an excellent job on the first CD, I particularly liked the Mephisto Waltz. It's not the best recording I have of it, but it was well done.

You asked about the improvisations: I've only listened to them once, and I usually like to give everything a second listen in order to give it a fair hearing. But my first impression is this: it is nice piano-bar music. Not particularly earth-shaking, and there weren't any performances that really had me take notice. She does a competent job of playing them, but only in a couple could I claim to recognize the style they were supposed to be done in, not that I'm any kind of an expert in that arena. It's nice music to sip wine by.

I'm listening to Akiko Suwanai performing the Carmen Fantasy now. I really like this CD.

Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde is excellent. A fine performance. I've not had a chance to listen to Das Knaben Wunderhorn yet, but hope to later this week.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:56 pm

shostakovich wrote:I've been on a Schubert kick lately.
Shos

I've been on a Bruckner and Dvorak symphonies kick this week.

Especially Bruckner. Listened to symphonies 1-3 this week. I'm going through the numeric cycle. :) I sometimes do that when I haven't listened enough to works I've not listen to often enough. Until I get a comfortable familiarity with them.

I love the power of Bruckner's symphonies, and with each listen become more and more alluring.

Listened to Dvorak's 7th Symph. this week too. Still my favorite of his.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Hexameron » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:40 pm

I've been on a Bruckner and Dvorak symphonies kick this week.

I love the power of Bruckner's symphonies, and with each listen become more and more alluring.

Me too. I actually just bought this a while ago. You know since I'm the piano guy I had to get Bruckner's 3rd for two pianos (arr by Mahler). It's actually an incredible rendering of this work. You'd be surprised what more you get out of a piece when it's played on piano; all of the nuances and subtle emotions are augmented here.
Hexameron
4th Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Hexameron wrote:Me too. I actually just bought this a while ago. You know since I'm the piano guy I had to get Bruckner's 3rd for two pianos (arr by Mahler). It's actually an incredible rendering of this work. You'd be surprised what more you get out of a piece when it's played on piano; all of the nuances and subtle emotions are augmented here.

Hex, I just listened to the samples. Wow, fantastic! Sounds great in the two piano arrangement!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:13 am

I added this CD to my collection yesterday! I was at Best Buy helping my girlfriend look for relaxation CD's for her massage therapy clinic, and came across this one for me self :) :

French Music for Harp and Strings
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Hexameron » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:25 am

Interesting. I never even heard of some of those French composers. Gabriel Pierne and Jacques Ibert for instance. That's a CD of rarities for sure; I don't think too many composers arranged works for harp/strings. Ravel's "Pavane une infante defunte" has been arranged for orchestra alone, the piano and orchestra, four hand piano and a string quartet version. After seeing this, there's probably flute and organ arrangements :)
Hexameron
4th Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:30 am

Hexameron wrote:Interesting. I never even heard of some of those French composers. Gabriel Pierne and Jacques Ibert for instance. That's a CD of rarities for sure; I don't think too many composers arranged works for harp/strings. Ravel's "Pavane une infante defunte" has been arranged for orchestra alone, the piano and orchestra, four hand piano and a string quartet version. After seeing this, there's probably flute and organ arrangements :)

I haven't had a chance to listen to all of the CD yet. I wanted it specifically for Debussy's "Danses sacree et profane for harp & string quintet", which I've listened to about 5 times yesterday. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 pm

the danses are usually played with full orchestra rather than quintet, but it's the same thing, just no doubling.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:18 pm

Our local Barnes and Noble moved into the shopping mall from a seperate building out front. I was fearful of the move, but the new store is exceptionally nice. They have also added a CD and DVD section, which the previous store did not have. They have an excellent classical music selection - the best in the area. Tonight was opening night of the new store, and I was like a kid in a candy store looking at the offerings.

They also have a soundtrack and musicals section, a little bigger than half the size of the classical section. I purchased The Man Who Cried soundtrack there. BigJon will be pleased to know that there are three versions of Je Croix Entendre Encore included: The one familiar to B.com listeners sung solo by Salvatore Licitra; a second version sung by Slavatore Licitra, Katia & Marielle Labeque; and a third one sung again solo by Licitra, but with the lyrics in Yiddish. There is also music by the Kronos Quartet and gypsy melodies by Taraf de Haidouks. I am tempted to see the movie, now.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:51 pm

Shapley wrote:Our local Barnes and Noble moved into the shopping mall from a seperate building out front.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, I thought Barnes & Noble was simply an "online" book and music store. :?

Not sure if we have "physical stores" of B&N up here in Canada. Not here in Winnipeg, but perhaps in Toronto and a few of the other bigger Canadian cities.

I'm a pretty good customer of B&N, "online" anyways. :oops: I wish there were B&N stores in Winnipeg. Very poor classical music selections in the "physical" stores of brick and mortar. Best Buy is the store that probably has the largest and most varied (but not nearly large and not nearly varied enough IMO).

I've just got my latest order from B&N delivered (or most of it) today.

I'll share the details of the purchases later on. :D Happy happy!!!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:23 am

If you pay attention to the ads on B.com, Cat, you'll know the stores exist in the real world, too. :P

Just wondering...what's the average number of CD's do you find at the classical section of any store?

The places I go to, the same chain at three different places, have about 800 CDs.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:15 am

Any of you personally effected by the liquidation of Tower Records?
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:31 am

Cat,

Amazon.com doesn't have any bricks and mortar buildings. (They used to have some clever commercials about searching for a building large enough to house their selection.) Barnes & Noble predates the internet, and has been a mainstay in shopping malls around here for decades. We didn't have one locally until about a dozen years ago, but I used to shop them when I was in the Navy, and liked browsing them when I went to the St. Louis area. They have some up there that are large enough to have their own zip code. :D

Nav,

I've never counted, but a typical store around here would have a couple hundred in the classical department. They usually combine classical, jazz, and easy listening into one section, with new-wave and jazz combined as one grouping. The pop/rock and hip-hop/rap sections are usually five - ten times as large as the combined classical/jazz/easy listening section. Movie soundtracks are usually in their own section, and it is usually about the same size as the classical/jazz/easy listening - but that includes a lot of rock- and rap-style soundtracks as well.

The best selection for classical previously was Hastings, but their classical selection has been shrinking over the past few years (I assume the reflects the market, so B&N may wind up doing the same thing). Hastings is a bargain store in many regards, so much of their selection is just compilation albums (Mozart's Greatest Hits, Classical Hits, Beethoven's Best, etc.,). They also sell used CD's, which are intermingled amongst the new ones. I'd gotten to the point I hated to shop there.

We haven't had a pure music store in years, except for a 'new and used' place that I seldom visit - I've not liked the service there. We used to have two of them - Camelot and Disk Jockey - but they hadn't had much of a classical selection in years.

B&N has changed that now, I would put the number of offerings at the new store in the thousands - and some excellent selections. They even have a few of the EMI Budget Boxes (although I already have the ones I saw). Their Mahler selection alone includes at least one recording of each symphony (including #10 and Das Lied von der Erde), with several offerings of the more familiar ones (#1, #2, & #5). I was impressed.

BigJon,

I haven't seen a Tower Records store in years around here. There were some up in the St. Louis area, as I recall, but I never frequented it. There used to be two in Berkeley, CA, when I was stationed out there in the Navy, one of which was nothing but Classical music. I loved the selection, hated the service.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:30 am

The place I go to (Landmark) actually started out here as just a bookshop ( still is, probably the best in the city, and coming up in other parts of the country). I've not seen the western classical clubbed with other genres. When I was about to purchase my first CDs, I went to a proper ("big") music store, and they had about 10! :roll: I've learnt that there is a place in Bangalore called Beethoven & Mozart (or something like that...still don't have the details, though).
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes