Interesting headlines in the U.S.

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:18 am

Serenity wrote:
Nicole Marie wrote:Don't forget Connecticut! We are the only state in the nation to step up and recognize same sex unions and pass laws without a lawsuit. All other state laws came as a result of a law suit but we stepped up to the plate. We do have a law suit pending for same sex marriages but we have already passed the union laws.

I too look forward to basking in the glow of hells flame. :love:

Had I read this on the day it posted I would have requested Wagner's Magic Fire from the Ring Cycle! (insert sound of 2 fingers snapping)

I guess the next debate I see here would be whether to allow same sex marriages to adopt.

In CT our DCF (Dept of Child and Family) always allowed gay couples to adopt and foster kids, even before the civil union laws passed. Most towns allowed gays couples with kids to take advantage of family discounts at public pools etc. Most of the state saw a family. That was the main reason why the state passed the law, they wanted to put it in writting and protect the families. We saw a few anti gay groups come into the state (they came from states like Kansas etc) and tried to dictate what we should be doing. So we passed the law and saw all these groups leave. Good Bye! :P
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:28 pm

I remember a gay couple my wife knew from school who adopted a little girl in California. I don't know if the adoption was by one of the guys or both of them, although the announcements had both their names on it.

Good for them! Looks like a family to me.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:11 pm

barfle wrote:Good for them! Looks like a family to me.

Totally 100% agree!!!!! There are so many foster kids that don't have parents, and are looking for a loving family to adopt them. I don't think they matter whether their family consists of a guy and girl, 2 girls or 2 guys.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 pm

Let's see, pot smoking, same sex married people adopting children .... all cool in Canada. :bugeyes:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Marye wrote:Let's see, pot smoking, same sex married people adopting children .... all cool in Canada. :bugeyes:

Going easy on criminals in Canada - also seems to be "tres" cool. :evil:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Examples?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Mary - I don't have specific examples.

My comment was more general. It seems to be the cry of many Canadians, and for many years, that our justice system simply isn't tough enough on criminals. Although perhaps some of that is attibutable to media reporting biases.

I'm not at all for the death penalty, and I am glad that it is not legal in Canada. However, I do believe we need to have harsher punishments and sentences for lesser youth crimes such as theft, graffiti, assault to have a greater affect on prevention of the more serious crimes of rape, murder as they grow older. IMHO.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:38 pm

It seems to me (which is the poorest backing for arguments I know of) that graffitists should be made to clean up their mess, as well as the messes of those who don't get caught.

Much of my political and religious philosophy stems from the idea of responsibility. I don't care if those who are old enough to understand THAT concept smoke a little dope (or even a lot of dope), get intimate with people I wouldn't understand the reasons behind, or ride a motorcycle without a helmet. But if this risky behavior results in injury, it's THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to correct it.

When it comes to the death penalty, I'm more against it than for it, but only because it's impossible to rectify any mistake that might be made. I do believe there are people whose deeds indicate they don't deserve to continue breathing, but making sure you have the right one takes a bit more assurance than I'm willing to acknowledge in many cases. I'm pretty sure about Charles Manson (who is alive) but not so sure about Caryl Chessman (who is not).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:57 pm

I have to say I don't mind graffiti. Much of it looks like art to me. In Prague there is the John Lennon Imagine Wall filled with graffiti. The "Jesuits" whose outter wall it was would paint over and over the images until they finally gave up. The wall is magnificient in colour, words and tributes to John Lennon. In Toronto graffiti artists are encouraged to paint in a few areas of downtown area and every year they paint over the same spots. The art is eye popping in its beauty and talent. BUT in Budapest graffiti is little more than tags sprayed in haste. It is just ugly and any serious graffiti artist would feel shame. So maybe it is better to encourage art in specific areas rather than sending them to jail. There is honour among graffiti artists.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Marye wrote:I have to say I don't mind graffiti. Much of it looks like art to me. In Prague there is the John Lennon Imagine Wall filled with graffiti. The "Jesuits" whose outter wall it was would paint over and over the images until they finally gave up. The wall is magnificient in colour, words and tributes to John Lennon. In Toronto graffiti artists are encouraged to paint in a few areas of downtown area and every year they paint over the same spots. The art is eye popping in its beauty and talent. BUT in Budapest graffiti is little more than tags sprayed in haste. It is just ugly and any serious graffiti artist would feel shame. So maybe it is better to encourage art in specific areas rather than sending them to jail. There is honour among graffiti artists.

I'm not opposed to "art" graffiti. I'm opposed to derogatory phrases, words or any kind of offensive language, rascist, anti-semetic graffiti. I guess in my mind that is what I meant by "graffiti". I guess there is "good" and "bad" graffiti, but the question is where does that line get drawn?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:50 pm

The usual graffiti is a sort of "I own this spot" or "I was here" marking. It's the same message that dogs leave on trees and fire hydrants, and it deserves the same response.

There are also some folks who decorate walls and buildings without permission. There may be a case for designating that stuff "art", but it's not a terribly good case. I consider the planting of bougainvillea and pyracanthus and natal plum an appropriate response, along with some sandblasting. If most people seem to like the casual wall decor, we could leave it in place and just plant the spiny shrubbery.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 am

Catmando wrote:I guess there is "good" and "bad" graffiti, but the question is where does that line get drawn?

The line is "private property." Very easily determined. If it's your wall, your car, your boxcar, or your sign, have a ball. If it's not, then you've crossed the line.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am

Catmando wrote:I'm not opposed to "art" graffiti. I'm opposed to derogatory phrases, words or any kind of offensive language, rascist, anti-semetic graffiti. I guess in my mind that is what I meant by "graffiti". I guess there is "good" and "bad" graffiti, but the question is where does that line get drawn?

I don't feel that any of it should be tolerated..."art" graffiti is still graffiti and unless someone has been commissioned to put it there, it does not belong there. Selma's got it right. People have no right to deface, destroy or change public or private property and I resent these folks who feel they have to scent mark "their" territory.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:51 am

Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:20 pm

Shapley wrote:I always thought New Jersey was Hell.... :D

:rofl:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:33 pm

Marye wrote:http://www.ronroczphoto.com/lennon.html

Graffiti .....

As is much of what's written on the BBB. But the point is not the quality of the art, the point is the permission of the owner. I don't want The Last Supper painted on the front of my house, no matter how well it's done.
:rant:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:55 pm

hijack?
what thread should this go on?

"Web sites maintained by the National Cancer Institute, the American Heart Association and Harvard University allow users to calculate their risk factors for certain diseases. "We started this because people didn't appear to understand how much of cancer or other diseases can be prevented with changes in lifestyle," said Harvard professor and founder of http://www.yourdiseaserisk.com Graham Colditz. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette/The Wall Street Journal (10/31)" http://www.yourdiseaserisk.com
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Sounds like an interesting headline to me :)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:21 am

GOP control of Congress hangs in balance

Undecided Voters Possible Key as America Heads to Polls on Election DayTuesday, November 07, 2006

Polls: Democrats' leads shrinking but still strong

Fingers crossed for a change? Fingers crossed for status quo? :juggle:

:sing: Mary in Toronto :popcorn:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:20 am

U.S. elections headed for another Diebold "fix"

;)
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor