Schoenberg

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Schoenberg

Postby Marye » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:53 am

Last night I heard a fabulous concert in Toronto. "Arnold Schoenberg A Portrait" : pieces included Ode to Napoleon, Strauss' Emperor Waltz (arr. Schoenberg) and Transfigured Night all performed by the Art of Time Ensemble. It was all wonderful but I was particularly taken with the string sextet of Transfigured Night Op. 4. I would love a recording of this sextet and the Waltz performed by a sextet as well, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking. Anyone have such a recording in their collections?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:00 am

the concert's title is interesting. if that is intended as a portrait of Schoenberg, it fails miserably. very lopsided portrait, maybe.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:14 am

Yikes *ignaf! That was unkind. "Fails miserably"
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:21 am

His Chamber Symphony probably should have been in the "portrait".
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:34 am

Ray.. a symphony? It was an ensemble... the Art of Time Ensemble. I wasn't particularly looking for criticism of the evening I enjoyed thank you both. I was looking a recording and might I say I am totally irritated now.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:51 am

Marye wrote:Ray.. a symphony? It was an ensemble... the Art of Time Ensemble. I wasn't particularly looking for criticism of the evening I enjoyed thank you both. I was looking a recording and might I say I am totally irritated now.

I apologize Mary. I'm only familiar with the Chamb. Symp. from Schoenberg, not with his other works, which actually is an ensemble, but that's beside the point.

I should have reserved the criticism and simply answered your question (if I knew about his other works that you heard and enjoyed.)

:grouphug:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:56 am

Marye wrote:Yikes *ignaf! That was unkind. "Fails miserably"

I didn't comment on the music, just the title. :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes