WMP crashing listening to Beethoven.com

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

WMP crashing listening to Beethoven.com

Postby BenODen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm

Hey you all!

I just installed the latest raft of patches on my windows 2000 computer running WMP 9. It's now crashing WMP as soon as I tune in to beethoven radio. Anyone with a similar setup seeing this crop up lately? I was able to listen on Tuesday, but yesterday when I tuned in after doing the updates, it crashed. Any ideas from anyone? My odds of getting a new copy of WMP 9 to re-install seems fairly low, but maybe it's out there still because win2000 can't run anything newer. If it's just my machine doing this, I'll re-install.. I wonder what patches I'd be breaking if it succeeded. DLLs are all well and good, but things fall down due to the assumption that all versions of a dll are equal. I re-install some software that thinks it knows what version it wants and voila, I'm rolling back to a vulnerable state of being.

Ah well, I guess I'm br-less for a while.

-BenODen
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby CLarsen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:27 am

Hi Beno,

I have to put together a machine to test this but for now you can go straight to http://www.beethoven.com/beethoven_ad.asx and it should pull up the stream just fine.

BTW, do you want your screen name changed back to BenODen?
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Marye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:31 am

I am having problems with the the stream.... I heard HRH for 5 minutes yesterday morning andI haven't ben able to get back on at all.

:badputer:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby CLarsen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:00 am

Hi Marye,

Did you try the link above? Give that a shot and let me know if it works for you please. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Marye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:12 am

I did try and it didn't work... BUT... I always keep trying and NOW I am on board.... Yeh.. thank you.

:handshake:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:27 am

I'll try it when I get back to work, where it wasn't working yesterday, thanks. So it's not just Marye and me, eh?

I'd love to be BenODen, I requested the switch back when b.com was going through moving pains, but never got around to re-requesting. But, there's a rub though. Back when I was having problems getting into this account I lost my presence of mind and created an account named BenODen and used it for a day or so before I remembered this password... So, this account could either become BenODen_Mk1 or we could have a double swicharoo, BenODen -> BenODen_Mk2, Artagel -> BenODen. I don't know how easy actual name changes are, so I'll leave it up to you. Sorry for the mixup, but I'll be happy either way.
Thanks Much,

-BenODen
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby BenODen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:15 pm

Woo, thanks for the quick name transplant Chris! I'm still unable to listen to B.com, so I think it's probably my machine. :( When I click on that link, I get a 1 second snippet of b.com that repeats 3 or 4 times, then the "Program has encountered an error and has to close" erorr. If I don't hit OK, the music then resumes playing, but the now playing information doesn't update.. I think I may have a copy of WMP in my downloads directory, so I'll try re-installing when I get a chance.

-Ben
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby CLarsen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Woo, thanks for the quick name transplant Chris!

NP. Always happy to help a fellow Coloradan.

For anyone having the crashing problem, try this:

1) Open Windows Media Player
2) Click the TOOLS menu and then OPTIONS
3) Click the SECURITY tab
4) Uncheck the box marked "Do not prompt me before playing enhanced content that uses web pages"
5) Click OK and close the player.
6) Launch the Beethoven stream and you should get a pop-up asking you if you want to display enhanced content. IF you do, click NO and let us know if the stream works alright after that.

Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby BenODen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Huh, under WMP 9, I only get the check box option to "Run script commands when present" which was unchecked, and also "Do not run Script commands and rich media streams if the Player is running inside a Web Page." Which is also unchecked. Hmm, wait, the stuttering is gone no matter what box there is checked or unchecked. It now simplyl crashes, leaving the sound going until choose the form of the traveler.. ok, chose which way I want WMP to exit. Interestingly enough, I go to the Plug-ins screen and there's a category for "Now Playing" but no plugins under it. Is that a leftover from a previous implementation? If it weren't for the fact that that error popup were set to always on top, I'd settle for listening to an errored out stream! *grin*

Ah and you probably knew what I was talking about but it's really the:

"Microsoft Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

Error, and the send/don't send button that I press that actually stops the sound.

-Ben
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:41 am

:curse: Back to having troubles with Windows Media again. It launches but freezes. It is odd... I can't listen in the mornings but I can hear Scott in the afternoon.... Whassup with that? Is it my computer? Me? :dunce:

:banghead:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:33 pm

Woo! It's working now! Did you guys fix it or will it be back to misbehaving when it feels like it? I did find a way to stay listening by hiding the popup error at the bottom of my second screen, though.

It went through some gyrations, looking weird tonight, but now it's back to it's old self and working. :jump:
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:23 am

Here's a funny one. I was listening this morning with WMP, but it kept stalling, so I closed the window.

Now I'm still getting the stream, even though WMP is NOT open on my computer. It's still chopped up, though.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Thanks for bringing this up, barfle. I'm using Real Player and the stream seems to be stop after sometime. It's been happening since this afternoon (local time). I reload it, and it starts from where it left, and then stops where it did previously.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Sorry folks. We are having trouble with a streaming partner EGI. We are in touch with them to fix the issues. We are at their mercy until they can get in there and fix it. We'll keep ya posted. We hope the stream issues are fixed soon. :?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:03 pm

One of the great things about computers is that you can ALWAYS blame someone else!
:mrgreen:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:07 pm

barfle wrote:One of the great things about computers is that you can ALWAYS blame someone else!
:mrgreen:

:badputer: That's my favorite! :mrgreen:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:33 pm

I gave up, I've got a CD on now. I'll try again later. :sad:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I gave up, I've got a CD on now. I'll try again later. :sad:

Selma,
I've been having the same problem all day.....
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:58 am

Stream is still being interupted.
Keep seeing "Buffering" on WMP.

Hope this gets resolved soon....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:10 am

The tech staff promised me that this was fixed yesterday. Are you still having trouble on Wednesday the 15th?

Do I need to draw and quarter someone for saying it's fixed and it's really not? :guns:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand