Pet Peeves

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Pet Peeves

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:11 pm

New Pet Peeves thread.

Here's a growing pet peeve I was unaware of and is gradually becoming more and more annoying...................

When people take their food out of the microwave without clearing the cooking time left so that you see either cooking time left or a continuous scrolling message such as "Pause" or "Press Start" scrolling over and over again. I used to think someone would come to stir their food before continuing to cook it for some unknown remaining time. Now I know the microwave is empty and someone merely neglected to clear the time left and left the next user hesitating at the microwave. :curse:
Serenity
1st Chair

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Catmando » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:31 pm

Serenity wrote:New Pet Peeves thread.

Here's a growing pet peeve I was unaware of and is gradually becoming more and more annoying...................

When people take their food out of the microwave without clearing the cooking time left so that you see either cooking time left or a continuous scrolling message such as "Pause" or "Press Start" scrolling over and over again. I used to think someone would come to stir their food before continuing to cook it for some unknown remaining time. Now I know the microwave is empty and someone merely neglected to clear the time left and left the next user hesitating at the microwave. :curse:

You can add the following to "poor microwave" etiquette:

* Person forgetting about their lunch in the microwave (one person at work does it almost on a daily basis!)

* Not putting a cover on top of your food as your cooking it, so that it splatters all over the microwave as if you had just "nuked"a Gremlin......and then not cleaning up the mess it left! :rant:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Weeeelllll.....if they're not around to attend to their food I guess you could make sure it doesn't get cold by re-nuking it and walking away..... :crazy:

or how about adding condiments! :sing:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:59 pm

Sometimes I get bored with my frozen dinners and I like to trade up with the other frozen dinners in the freezer that others leave but don't bother to label. Is that so wrong? Substitute Sesame Chicken with Thai. These Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones dinners are the official corporate lunch. If I open the freezer and don't see my lunch there, now what? :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:36 pm

How about the microwave etiquette foe paw of making buttery popcorn in it? Hangin's is to good for the violators.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:54 am

Serenity wrote:New Pet Peeves thread.

When that's happened over here....
I wait a minute....
If the person who is heating their food up is not back, I take it out
and put it on the side......

We have hundreds of people here and to leave your food in the
microwave here is not considerate.

Next time... If they don't come back... throw it out! :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:55 am

Serenity wrote:Weeeelllll.....if they're not around to attend to their food I guess you could make sure it doesn't get cold by re-nuking it and walking away..... :crazy:

Condiments?
Now - That would work.... :wink:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:57 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:
Serenity wrote:Weeeelllll.....if they're not around to attend to their food I guess you could make sure it doesn't get cold by re-nuking it and walking away..... :crazy:

Condiments?
Now - That would work.... :wink:

Well, I tasted it and I thought it needed a lot more salt. :mrgreen:
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:16 am

I put this one in the last thread, and since I still find it irritating, I'll see if I can recruit anyone else to the revolution.

Those subscription post cards that fall out of magazines you already subscribe to are nothing if not irritating, especially when there are four of them on the floor once you open your magazine. However, I have a response that I hope others will join me in. I put them in a mailbox, with nothing filled in. They are business reply mail, so they get delivered and the addresee pays for it. The punishment fits the crime, IMNSHO.
:rant:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:57 am

barfle - I think they do that to ease the mass production. They want those cards in the ones they don't send to the subscribers, but don't want to have a separate set of magazines printed and set up without the cards (would have to keep track of subscriber #s and might send, god forbid, mags without cards to bookstores, etc. by accident). 4-6 of those cards is excessive however. I tend to use them as bookmarks in the magazine, then recycle them with the magazine. My husband chucks them...

I actually dislike the 'harder' pages that are actually attached more - your magazine doesn't lay flat when you're in the middle of reading and you have to tear them out - rarely do they tear out right along the spine and you're left with a mess.... :curse:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:39 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I actually dislike the 'harder' pages that are actually attached more - your magazine doesn't lay flat when you're in the middle of reading and you have to tear them out - rarely do they tear out right along the spine and you're left with a mess.... :curse:

Schmeelkie...I agree! Those ones that are stapled into the magazine are a pain...I rip them out immediately and chuck them. The worst are the whole page cardboard ones.

HINT to Barfle....I like the idea about mailing the blank cards back. My wife has a variation on that theme...when she gets junk mail with business reply envelopes, she swaps all the contents, loads them into the other reply envelope, and mails them back.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:54 pm

jamiebk wrote:HINT to Barfle....I like the idea about mailing the blank cards back. My wife has a variation on that theme...when she gets junk mail with business reply envelopes, she swaps all the contents, loads them into the other reply envelope, and mails them back.

Theme On A Variation Of Junk Mail Returns - by Jamiebk's wife. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:54 pm

The cards that are bound into the magazines don't bother me much, although the large inserts held in with rubber cement usually get removed fairly quickly for the reasons jamie gave. But I don't fine the subscription cards do that to an appreciable degree.

It's when you pick up a magazine and the cards become litter that I'm annoyed. But I DO like your junk mail suggestion. I use some of it in my fireplace in the winter, but that's even better. Capital One, look out!
:twisted:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:23 pm

The "Speeding" thread made me think of another pet peeve:

I think the main reason is that there are not as many merging intersections in Winnipeg as in other large urban centers, but people here do not know how to do a proper "merge" into traffic. :evil:

Most people slow down to a crawl or even stop in the merge lane, instead of accelerating their speed into the merge lane so that they can transfer into the traffic lane in a nice smooth flow where they are going the same speed as traffic.

On the other side, another peeve are people who do no change lanes temporarily to give mergers a chance to join into traffic easily.

Summary - Winnipeggers in general, don't seem to know the difference between a 'yield' and a 'merge'. :rant:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:15 pm

People who can't use an apostrophe correctly. For some reason, some people just want to throw in the apostrophe just because they've added an s.

Another----the you're/your confusion.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:36 pm

audiogirl wrote:People who can't use an apostrophe correctly. For some reason, some people just want to throw in the apostrophe just because they've added an s.

Another----the you're/your confusion.

Yup. And I have a list... :curse:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm

I like apostrophe's
I really think they're grand.
They're almost as much fun to use
as the good ol' ampersand.

Apostorphe's are cool
and so much fun to use.
I'm saddened to hear, so sad indeed,
that they ignite audiogirls' fuse.

I like apostrophe's,
I think they're really great.
I add them whenever they're needed,
and I add them when they ain't.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Catmando wrote: On the other side, another peeve are people who do no change lanes temporarily to give mergers a chance to join into traffic easily.

That's because you are not supposed to do that. It is the responsibility of the merger to match the speed of the flow of traffic and place his car accordingly.
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:05 pm

BigJon wrote:
Catmando wrote: On the other side, another peeve are people who do no change lanes temporarily to give mergers a chance to join into traffic easily.

That's because you are not supposed to do that. It is the responsibility of the merger to match the speed of the flow of traffic and place his car accordingly.

I stand corrected. 8)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 pm

Catmando wrote:
jamiebk wrote:HINT to Barfle....I like the idea about mailing the blank cards back. My wife has a variation on that theme...when she gets junk mail with business reply envelopes, she swaps all the contents, loads them into the other reply envelope, and mails them back.

Theme On A Variation Of Junk Mail Returns - by Jamiebk's wife. :D

Every now and then I find it fun to fill out those cards with made up names, random addresses from the phone book, sign up mean people at work for a free subscription or business cards that salespeople shower you with.
Serenity
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections