Best wishes to everyone for a Happy Thanksgiving

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Best wishes to everyone for a Happy Thanksgiving

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 am

I am sure that many of us will be "off line" over the next 3-4 days. I wanted to take a moment and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving holiday. I hope that you will be with the ones who matter the most to you.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:48 am

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, and to everyone else on this board. Whether you celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday in your land or not, you can take the time to look at all you have and be thankful to whomever you credit it. :)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:50 pm

"God bless us, every one"
Tiny Tim

Seems appropriate here as well.....

Happy Bird Day all :grouphug:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:53 pm

Canadian Thanksgiving was last month so I will be here on my own :( ... Make the tape of music good Scott and Nicole!

:toast: to your Thanksgiving...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:39 pm

For some strange reason, this gummint job doesn't get Friday off! :rolleyes:

I'll be back, baby.

Hope your day is a Thankful one, even if you're not celebrating a US holiday.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:44 pm

Is it often the case that for Thanksgiving Thursday AND Friday are holidays?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:50 pm

Marye wrote:Is it often the case that for Thanksgiving Thursday AND Friday are holidays?

I can only recall three jobs I've had where it wasn't, and two of them were federal government jobs. It's quite common to get both Thursday and Friday off, but it's clearly not universal.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:19 pm

My gummint job is declaring both Thursday and Friday days-off, but only Thursday is a paid holiday. We get charged vacation time for our Friday. Doesn't matter to me, I'd've planned it off anyway even if they hadn't planned it for me.

The place is doing the same thing for the week between Christmas and New Year's - buldings will be shut, lights will be off, nobody will be here.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good :burp:.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:00 pm

To my "y'all" friends from your "eh!" friend:

Happy American's Thanksgiving! Selma, enjoy those turkey necks! :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:43 am

The cats greatly enjoyed the meat off those turkey necks - I wanted the liquid I boiled them in. Stuffing and gravy improve immeasureably if you have some actual turkey stock to work with.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:33 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:The cats greatly enjoyed the meat off those turkey necks - I wanted the liquid I boiled them in. Stuffing and gravy improve immeasureably if you have some actual turkey stock to work with.

:yum: :yum: Ahhh stuffing.....my favorite!!! :yum: :yum:

Pass it around! I seriously could eat just a plate of stuffing, it is so good!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:43 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:The cats greatly enjoyed the meat off those turkey necks - I wanted the liquid I boiled them in. Stuffing and gravy improve immeasureably if you have some actual turkey stock to work with.

Agree Selma. I usually boil the neck(s) in Chix broth with the giblets, liver, heart as well as any trimmings from the bird (such as that gross tail thing that I always cut off. I add celery and some onion to the boil. The broth is very rich afterward and as you say makes a nice gravy. It also makes a nice soup stock
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:35 pm

At the moment, I'm in very good shape for turkey stock. There was leftover neck stock, and yesterday I stripped the meat off the carcass, broke it up, and put it in my stockpot with the usual mirepoix, bayleaf, thyme, rosemary, garlic. After several hours I again throw away the solids, save the juice.

Today the all the juice got boiled down thick and poured into ice cube trays. I'm in very decent shape for a Christmas bird. :smug:

Cat, you can have stuffing any time you want it. I use the grocery store breadcrumb stuffing mix and add a ridiculous amount of poultry seasoning and a little extra sage to 3 cups of crumbs. Then, in the fry pan you put half a stick of butter and half an onion, minced, about half a cup of celery, minced, half a cup of carrot, minced, two cloves of garlic, smashed and minced. Cook gently until the carrot bits are soft and add a cup-and-a-quarter of the liquid of your choice (I used turkey stock :grin:) bring it to a boil, dump in the crumb-seasoning mixture and stir, turn off the fire and put on the lid. Wait five minutes, remove lid, fluff, and eat.

Yes, that sounds like the stovetop stuffing method. They stole it. Difference is, you know what went into your stuffing and you get some real vegetables.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:27 pm

I dont much care if I eat turkey or not, but I love stuffing and gravy.
Perhaps we shall have that next week, since the big holiday was celebrated deliciously with steak one day and meatloaf the next.
(Yum. I ate soooooooo much this weekend. OT's sisters can COOK!)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Re: Best wishes to everyone for a Happy Thanksgiving

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:42 am

And, a Happy Thanksgiving 2007 to all of you at the B.com BB!

And a Happy November 22 to all of those in countries that don't celebrate our American homage to Demeter and Dionysus (Tan, Dai, Nav, David, etc.)!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:56 am

Young man named John received a parrot as a gift. The parrot had a bad attitude and an even worse vocabulary. Every word out of the bird's mouth was rude, obnoxious and laced with profanity. John tried and tried to change the bird's attitude by consistently saying only polite words, playing soft music and anything else he could think of to "clean up" the bird's vocabulary. Finally, John was fed up and he yelled at the parrot. The parrot yelled back. Jon shook the parrot and the parrot got angrier and ever ruder. John, in desperation, threw up his hand, grabbed the bird and put him in the freezer. For a few minutes the parrot squawked and kicked and screamed. Then suddenly there was total quiet. Not a peep was heard for over a minute. Fearing that he'd hurt the parrot, John quickly opened the door to the freezer. The parrot calmly stepped out onto John's outstretched arms and said,

"I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I'm sincerely remorseful for my inappropriate transgressions and I fully intend to do everything I can to correct my rude and unforgivable behavior."

John was stunned at the change in the bird's attitude. As he was about to ask the parrot what had made such a dramatic change in his behavior, the bird continued,

" May I ask what the turkey did?"

Happy Thanksgiving
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:44 pm

Mmmmmmmmm, Turkey, dressing, fresh cranberry sauce, mashed 'taters, giblet gravy, 'sroom casserole, fresh home made rolls, and something green -- maybe jello? not sure, I prolly won't eat it, green for Thanksgiving? Please, do I look Irish? -- Apple and pumkin pies

Happy T-day all!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:44 am

Summer sausage, cheese, ham, mustard (selection of 4), pastel mints, mini-chocolates, candied pecans and almonds, a beautiful fruit-arrangement and chocolate covered strawberries. The ham and honeydew went especially well together.

Followed by spaghetti with meatballs, lasagna, steamed sugarsnap peas, garlic bread and eventually chocolate mousse cake.

An excellent meal. And the parrot went free.
PS - GC told this joke over ribs and its even funnier when he does the delivery in person. Excellent racoteurage.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:54 am

OK...show of hands....How many had Green Bean Caserole? :rofl: :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:56 am

There was a green bean casserole. Made with canned green beans. No, I did not make any derogatory comments and yes, I did eat some.

It's ever so much better with fresh (or even frozen) beans and real mushrooms.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections