30Q #63 - Catmando

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby bignaf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:16 pm

I couldn't find any other flute concerto in G either.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:31 am

IMHO, I think we should have avoid "questions" that could possibly refer to only one composition. :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:21 am

navneeth wrote:IMHO, I think we should have avoid "questions" that could possibly refer to only one composition. :)

that didn't make sense. you need a question that can refer to only one composition to solve the 30Q.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:31 am

Just to be clear, here's an example: Once you know the composer is Beethoven, a question like "Is it an even-numbered piano concerto that was premiered on 22nd December, 1808?" is as good as a guess. That's what I meant.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:44 am

Catmando wrote:
bignaf wrote:is it in G major?

Yes! 8) Unless there is more than 1 in G major, you got it.

It's the Concerto for Flute & Orchestra, Op. 29 in G major, composed around 1782/84, by Carl Stamitz.

To my astonishment, there is another Flute Concerto in G, Op. 20. It just says G, not G major or minor. Sorry about that guys! Anyways, the Opus 29 was the one I had picked out. I have the middle movement on the "Rainy Day" Classics compilation.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:48 am

navneeth wrote:Just to be clear, here's an example: Once you know the composer is Beethoven, a question like "Is it an even-numbered piano concerto that was premiered on 22nd December, 1808?" is as good as a guess. That's what I meant.

Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto! :P

Also premiered that same evening was the 5th Piano Concerto "Emperor", the Pastorale 6th Symphony and the "Choral" Fantasy. Wow! What a great night of music!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:27 am

Catmando wrote:Also premiered that same evening was the 5th Piano Concerto "Emperor", the Pastorale 6th Symphony and the "Choral" Fantasy. Wow! What a great night of music!

Indeed. For now, that would be my answer to the question "If given the chance to travel back in time...?". :) But it was Fate that was premiered that night, not the Emperor.

Btw, today, I picked up Lockwood's bio of LvB from the library.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:33 am

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:Also premiered that same evening was the 5th Piano Concerto "Emperor", the Pastorale 6th Symphony and the "Choral" Fantasy. Wow! What a great night of music!

Indeed. For now, that would be my answer to the question "If given the chance to travel back in time...?". :) But it was Fate that was premiered that night, not the Emperor.

Btw, today, I picked up Lockwood's bio of LvB from the library.

Is that the one titled "The Music and the Life"? That's the one I have.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:47 am

Yep, that's the one. I was actually looking for some other book - the Oxford Guide to Music, or something like that (there was also the Penguin guide to CDs), when I spotted 'Beethoven' on the spine of a book which looked familiar.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:40 am

Catmando wrote:
navneeth wrote:Just to be clear, here's an example: Once you know the composer is Beethoven, a question like "Is it an even-numbered piano concerto that was premiered on 22nd December, 1808?" is as good as a guess. That's what I meant.

Also premiered that same evening was the 5th Piano Concerto "Emperor", the Pastorale 6th Symphony and the "Choral" Fantasy. Wow! What a great night of music!

are you sure the Emperor was played that night? I though the 5th symphony was...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:30 am

bignaf wrote:
Catmando wrote:

are you sure the Emperor was played that night? I though the 5th symphony was...

Too late. See Nav's earlier post above. He already corrected me. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:39 am

Catmando wrote:
bignaf wrote:
Catmando wrote:

Too late. See Nav's earlier post above. He already corrected me. :)

can I pleeeease correct you?!?! please please please!!!! say somthing wrong! :rofl:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:46 am

I think I'm going to make a suggestion to the Winnipeg Symphony for a pre-Christmas concert in 2008, to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of that great night where the 4th Piano Concerto, 5th and 6th Symphony and Choral Fantasy were premiered (although it would probably be performed over 2 evenings).
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:35 am

excellent idea! they should do it!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 pm

I think most, if not all of the orchestras around the world should do it (maybe Vienna and Bonn are already planning on such an event).
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:07 pm

I just finished emailing the Music Director of the WSO :D .

Here is the letter..............................

Dear Mr. Alexander Mickelthwaite,

First of all, I would just like to say how much I enjoy attending the WSO concerts, in particular, since you've joined the WSO this year. I really love your energy and enthusiasm when you are discussing music!! I've attended 4 concerts so far this year, and am attending another 6 for the remainder of the season. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the Eroica Symphony on December 2nd!

I am a relatively new fan to classical music, for the past 3 years I would say. I'm 32 years old, and I grew up listening to pop, hard rock and heavy metal. Today, I listening exclusively to classical music. I have never been so deeply invigorated by music until I became "hooked" on classical music. I have now built up a lovely classical CD library that is growing and growing! I'm also very interested in the history of classical music, and looking up composers bios, etc.

Knowing that you are planning to cover the complete cycle of Beethoven's 9 symphonies over the next 3 WSO seasons, including this season, I have an idea that I'm excited to share with you (although you may have already thought of this or have had it suggested already.) Brace yourself now!!!!

My idea is to celebrate and commemorate Beethoven's famous premiere concert of December 22, 1808, which was a Tour de Force event that premiered 4 magnificent masterpieces (Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, Beethoven's 5th and 6th Symphonies, and his Choral Fantasy)!! Wow, what a night that must have been!? Why not 're-enact' this legendary evening in the winter of 2008, perhaps as a pre-Christmas event, to celebrate the 200th Anniversary!!! I know it would be a long concert, perhaps too long, and may need to be split into 2 evenings, who knows? Plus, that would affect the chronological series of the cycle of symphonies, (assuming you were planning on doing 4, 5 and 6 over the 2007/2008 season and 7, 8 and 9 over the 2008/2009 season).

Hey, it's just an idea, that I was excited to share with you!!

I would love to hear back from you, Mr. Mickelthwaite, but I do understand if you can't. I know you must be an extremely busy person!

Anyways, thank you very much for your time, and helping enhance my passion for listening to classical music! You truly have a great gift.

Yours truly,

Ray Catellier
WSO subscriber
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:31 pm

my teacher said good things about that music director... (who programmed a piece of his, so...)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:34 pm

bignaf wrote:my teacher said good things about that music director... (who programmed a piece of his, so...)

Yes, he's awesome. He's very enthusiastic. He could probably get anyone excited about classical music! We're fortunate to have him. Was it Kernis that commented?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:54 pm

yeah
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:54 am

Catmando wrote:I just finished emailing the Music Director of the WSO :D .

Here is the letter..............................

Dear Mr. Alexander Mickelthwaite,

First of all, I would just like to say how much I enjoy attending the WSO concerts, in particular, since you've joined the WSO this year. I really love your energy and enthusiasm when you are discussing music!! I've attended 4 concerts so far this year, and am attending another 6 for the remainder of the season. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the Eroica Symphony on December 2nd!

I am a relatively new fan to classical music, for the past 3 years I would say. I'm 32 years old, and I grew up listening to pop, hard rock and heavy metal. Today, I listening exclusively to classical music. I have never been so deeply invigorated by music until I became "hooked" on classical music. I have now built up a lovely classical CD library that is growing and growing! I'm also very interested in the history of classical music, and looking up composers bios, etc.

Knowing that you are planning to cover the complete cycle of Beethoven's 9 symphonies over the next 3 WSO seasons, including this season, I have an idea that I'm excited to share with you (although you may have already thought of this or have had it suggested already.) Brace yourself now!!!!

My idea is to celebrate and commemorate Beethoven's famous premiere concert of December 22, 1808, which was a Tour de Force event that premiered 4 magnificent masterpieces (Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, Beethoven's 5th and 6th Symphonies, and his Choral Fantasy)!! Wow, what a night that must have been!? Why not 're-enact' this legendary evening in the winter of 2008, perhaps as a pre-Christmas event, to celebrate the 200th Anniversary!!! I know it would be a long concert, perhaps too long, and may need to be split into 2 evenings, who knows? Plus, that would affect the chronological series of the cycle of symphonies, (assuming you were planning on doing 4, 5 and 6 over the 2007/2008 season and 7, 8 and 9 over the 2008/2009 season).

Hey, it's just an idea, that I was excited to share with you!!

I would love to hear back from you, Mr. Mickelthwaite, but I do understand if you can't. I know you must be an extremely busy person!

Anyways, thank you very much for your time, and helping enhance my passion for listening to classical music! You truly have a great gift.

Yours truly,

Ray Catellier
WSO subscriber

Mr. Mickelthwaite replied to my email. I didn't expect a response that soon!

Here's the response:

Dear Ray

This actually IS a fantastic idea!!! I will think about it...... and it is
of course in 2 years time.....
Anyway, thanks for your email. And, if you believe it or not, but it
actually is fun communicating with "you guys," the audience.

If you have more ideas, let me know. Hope you will like the Eroica.

Alexander
Catmando
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes