Drummers and African Polyrhythms

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby bignaf » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:23 pm

violinist4ever wrote:Hey, everyone! I haven't forgotten to update you on what I've found so far, because I'm having trouble finding informnation that is not online. I also listened to some of those Ligeti recordings and it seemed liked he just had two seperste things going on. Like instead of blending African and "western" musc, he seperated them on different tracks. Am I right? Or did he blendthem together and I just missed it? :?

you're right, it alternates between a track of African music and a track of Ligeti (or Reich). but it was done to demonstrate how Ligeti and Reich were influenced by the African polyrhythms.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:57 pm

I did find the disc at the libe. I'll be listening a few more times, but the connection between the African and Reich-Ligeti eludes me. The African songs, certainly polyrhythmic, sound like they evolve --- and not too far --- from ad lib singing. The piano music is nothing like "Atmospheres" (praise the Lord), and one of the works could pass for Debussy. The clapping is OK. It reminds me of Dave Brubeck's Unsquare Dance (I think that's the one). Carl Orff, in his student days, also did a lot with clapping. I think some of it came out on a record called School Works (something like Schul Werke in German).
Shos

PS: Big, my wife and I walked around the Yale campus a couple of times this fall. Classy place. Ives (talk about poly-rhythm) was a famous alumnus. Maybe we could meet sometime.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:38 pm

there is some ad lib within the individual elements, but the interatction between the elements is tightly controlled, and not at all improvised. otherwise it would all fall apart. read the liner notes.
the connection to Reich and especially Ligeti is somewhat abstract, so I won't go into it here. but the liner notes try to explain it.

let me know the next time you're planning to visit Yale. I'd really like to meet you. best if you come to the New Music new haven concert that will have my piece on it. December 21st at 8:30. :)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:43 pm

Thank you for the invitation. Unfortunately, we hate the cold weather, and stay at home for the most part. My wife starts to complain big time after Daylight Savings. Give us a snow check till spring. The weather will be conducive to campus walking, and your fame will have spread even more. We look forward to a spring performance of your music when there is one. And if there isn't we look forward to seeing you at Yale. It's a privelege to be able to study there.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:26 pm

shostakovich wrote:It's a privelege to be able to study there.
Shos

yeah, especially for free. :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby violinist4ever » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Hey everyone! Guess what? My paper is done!!! I wasn't able to find some of the answers we were looking for, but overall, I learned a lot! Thank you guys for your help! You definitely kept me interested!!! :)
:)
violinist4ever
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:55 am

excellent, learning never ends,
bignaf
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Musical Notes