Local Station Plays (Western) Classical

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Local Station Plays (Western) Classical

Postby navneeth » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:39 pm

My father was switching stations in his newly bought "boombox" when I heard a familiar tune. I realised that it was a certain symphony #5 in c minor, and it was approaching the final movement. Yay! It was followed by another LvB symphony, which was neither #6 nor #9. It turned out to be the fourth, but by the end of the hour, they could air only the first movement. Both performed by the Chicago Symphony, conducted by Solti.

I have heard some sort of European classical before; I was a super-newbie back then. But I don't know when this program actually goes on air, it wasn't even listed in today's schedule. Got to keep my ears sharp.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:08 pm

Well done that station!

India should have a dedicated classical station. I know it's an alien culture, but the country's enormous, and must have a substantial number of people who appreciate that culture.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:00 am

Well, it's a Government-run radio station. Private ones are popping up like mushrooms, but they tend to stay away from any form of classical music.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:40 am

I tuned in at a quarter past four, and there it was (again), Beethoven's 5th. This time I managed to listen to part of the second movement too. But thankfully, it was not a repeat of yesterday's programme. The second half was Britten's Early One Morning. :)
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 pm

Navneeth....
I heard this morning that India now has it's First Symphony Orchestra.

Missed what city....

Is the orchestra based near you?

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:12 pm

I heard that too. It's in Mumbai (formerly Bombay),nowhere close. But their site says that they'll be embarking on an India tour, and hopefully they'll perform in my city. But the auditorium where Zubin Mehta performed last year and where I attended my first concert last month is a stone's throw away from my house.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:15 pm

navneeth wrote:I heard that too. It's in Mumbai (formerly Bombay),nowhere close. But their site says that they'll be embarking on an India tour, and hopefully they'll perform in my city. But the auditorium where Zubin Mehta performed last year and where I attended my first concert last month is a stone's throw away from my house.

Too bad it's not closer to where you live...
If they tour around India, that would be great!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby ai4i » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:49 am

Many years ago a WTMI (Miami, FL) announcer had a background with AIR (All India Radio). Her name is/was Mumta Chaudry Friar. I hope I did not brutalize the spelling of her name too badly.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:28 am

ai41 wrote:Her name is/was Mumta Chaudry Friar. I hope I did not brutalize the spelling of her name too badly.

Umm... am not so sure about the last part. ;) Chaudhary/Chaudhry is usually a last name, though.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby ai4i » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:06 pm

navneeth wrote:Umm... am not so sure about the last part. ;) Chaudhary/Chaudhry is usually a last name, though.

Perhaps a hyphenated last name. Friar or Frier might be her husband's family name. Woody Tanger would probably remember her more than I do.
I noticed Bangalore has this (maybe) classical radio station at 100.1.
Away from the PC, you can hear this classical music station in digital quality throughout your region of the world.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 am

I noticed Bangalore has this (maybe) classical radio station at 100.1.

Funny you should mention that. I arrived in Bangalore just a few hours ago, and will be staying here for a week. But whenever you see someone mention classical music in India, without any qualifications such as 'Western' or 'European', they are most probabl referring to either of the two traditional forms, Hindustani and Carnatic.

Away from the PC, you can hear this classical music station in digital quality throughout your region of the world.

Yes, World Space is quite popular, but I don't think I'll be listening to most of the other channels. It requires a seperate receiver and subscription...I could spend that on some quality CD's. :)
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:17 am

Nav...Back in college, I was happy to attend a Ravi Shankar concert and was lucky to sit about 8 feet away from him. I found the music mezmerising and soothing, yet strangely invigorating. He gave us a quick lesson on "Classical" music and described the various ragas etc. as being the true classical music of India. Do you hear a lot of that being broadcast?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 am

jamiebk wrote:Nav...Back in college, I was happy to attend a Ravi Shankar concert and was lucky to sit about 8 feet away from him. I found the music mezmerising and soothing, yet strangely invigorating. He gave us a quick lesson on "Classical" music and described the various ragas etc. as being the true classical music of India. Do you hear a lot of that being broadcast?

Yes, TV and Radio. Although, there are no dedicated stations, AIR broadcast carnatic music (amateur and pro) every few hours of the day, at least in my city. Some TV channels also start the day with such concerts, if one can call them that (It's usually played with nadaswaram at the beginning of the day, since that music is considered auspicious). Being in the south, its mostly Carnatic, but Hindustani is also played every now and then.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:03 pm

I just read about Madras (and carnatic music) today, Nav. :) sounds like a crazy city.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:01 am

bignaf wrote:I just read about Madras (and carnatic music) today, Nav. :) sounds like a crazy city.

Yup, it's getting crazier all the time :D ....the "music season" of '06 just concluded a couple of weeks back. There are some blog posts on it, exposing some disturbing developments in recent years. I'll post the links sometime later.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 am

Some observations on this year's season...

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4
[url=http://chennai.metblogs.com/archives/2007/01/a_matter_of_perspective.phtml]Link5
[/url]

The authors of these blog posts are, from my estimates, in their 20's and 30's.

It's not just the live concerts. A couple TV channels also record kutcheris (carnatic concerts), which would then be aired on TV during the season. There are no entry tickets for this, and crowds throng to these places.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:11 am

navneeth wrote:

Yes, World Space is quite popular, but I don't think I'll be listening to most of the other channels. It requires a seperate receiver and subscription...I could spend that on some quality CD's. :)

Well, what do you know! A WorldSpace receiver was installed today. We got a the receiver and a 6-month subscription as part of a magazine subscription! :D Tuned into Maestro (that's their Western Classical station), and there it was, Beethoven's 2nd. What is it with me, radio, and Beethoven, anyway? :rolleyes:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Navneeth....
I heard this morning that India now has it's First Symphony Orchestra.

Missed what city....

TM

Western Classical Music is not new to India, as far as I know. See following quote from Wikipedia:

"Zubin Mehta (b. April 29, 1936) is an Indian conductor of classical music.

Zubin Mehta was born into an aristocratic Indian Parsi family in Bombay (now Mumbai), India, the son of Mehli and Tehmina Mehta. His father Mehli Mehta was a violinist and founding conductor of the Bombay Symphony Orchestra..."
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Return to Radio-Active