Weekend Feature

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Weekend Feature

Postby Catmando » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:35 am

navneeth wrote:Just wondering if you have any new programs planned for the weekends (after a successful change of servers, of course :-) ). In the three months I've been listening to this station, specials like Mozart Madness, Russian Invasion(?), the alpahbet thing and others (Beethoven Symphonies during Sundays) have been featured at least twice. Might I suggest a Sonata Sunday or a Baroque Bash? :wink:

I think it's time for some new additional Weekend Features, like Nav had suggested a while back.

Along with Nav's recommendations, some other suggestions?

* Concerto Craze

* Opera Overtures

* Classical's Great Underheard/Overlooked Works
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:15 am

Actually, I've been having Vocal Weekend in mind. :) Romantic Weekend? ;)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:04 am

How about a "Magical M's" weekend?

Music by great "M" composers including Mozart, Mahler, Mussorgsky, Mendelssohn, Monteverdi, etc.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:09 am

May be we should do the Alphabet thing in another way...

Magical M's
Brilliant B's
Superb S's
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:13 am

Nav, did you get to hear the entire LVB Violin Concerto on Saturday?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:22 am

Catmando wrote:Nav, did you get to hear the entire LVB Violin Concerto on Saturday?

Certainly. Actually I wanted to comment on that and the Triple concerto, two pieces I've been requesting for a long time. Thanks, Scott! I realised that I have heard the violin concerto before, after recognising parts of the first movement. But that the slow second one was beautiful!
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:28 am

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:Nav, did you get to hear the entire LVB Violin Concerto on Saturday?

Certainly. Actually I wanted to comment on that and the Triple concerto, two pieces I've been requesting for a long time. Thanks, Scott! I realised that I have heard the violin concerto before, after recognising parts of the first movement. But that the slow second one was beautiful!

I think the 1st movement of the violin concerto is one of the greatest movements of any genre/form. The 2nd movement is beautiful indeed.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:36 am

Who are the artists in the CD you have? (I'm sure you have one... :) )
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:44 am

Kudos to B.Com for a GREAT weekend of music. Unfortunately, I was chained to my home office a lot of the weekend. Then...there was B.com with some great music from their namessake. Nice variety and so nice to hear some of the lesser played pieces.

Good work and a pat on the back to everyone involved with compiling the playlist.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:36 pm

navneeth wrote:Who are the artists in the CD you have? (I'm sure you have one... :) )

Yes, I do. It's one of the CD's I listen to most. It's a Naxos recording.

Was very affordable. I'm sure there are alot of better recordings, but I really like it.

It also includes the 2 Romances for violin & orchestra, which are also great.

The artist is Takako Nishizaki, and it is with the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra with Kenneth Jean conducting.

Beethoven Violin Concerto and Romances
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:31 pm

Catmando wrote:Yes, I do. It's one of the CD's I listen to most. It's a Naxos recording.

Was very affordable. I'm sure there are alot of better recordings, but I really like it.

It also includes the 2 Romances for violin & orchestra, which are also great.

The artist is Takako Nishizaki, and it is with the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra with Kenneth Jean conducting.

Beethoven Violin Concerto and Romances

Ah, yes, I remember you telling me about that CD re:LvB's romances for violin.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:57 pm

xx
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Mozart weekend: I just love this Mozart String Quartet! The one titled "Dissonance". This is one you saw a live performance of, right Nav?

As for my classical music library, my number 1 goal in 2007 is to obtain ALOT of Mozart music, since I'm satisfied with my Beethoven collection now.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Yup, this was one.

As for me, I would like a little more chamber music (that concert's the reason) and some Baroque. At one point, I thought my collection would have more of Baroque, but now, in my collection of 10, I have just one!
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:57 pm

navneeth wrote:Yup, this was one.

As for me, I would like a little more chamber music (that concert's the reason) and some Baroque. At one point, I thought my collection would have more of Baroque, but now, in my collection of 10, I have just one!

Yes, I do want some more Baroque, especially Vivaldi and some Bach.

I have alot of chamber music Nav! I can give you some recommendations if you like. Especially string quartets and piano trio music.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:23 pm

Catmando wrote:I have alot of chamber music Nav! I can give you some recommendations if you like. Especially string quartets and piano trio music.

I'm all ears, um...eyes. :) Classical, early-romantic,anything... :D
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Ok, I can give you some recommendations, but obviously I still have alot of musical inexperience, and still so much more music to listen to and be able to add to my recommendations.

If it is to be said that one should get all of Beethoven's symphonies for orchestral music, then the same must be said of obtaining all of Beethoven's string quartets for chamber music. In addition, other string quartet masters were Haydn, the godfather of string quartet music, Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Shostakovich, just to name a few.

So far, I have all of Beethoven's, Schubert's and Brahms'. Schubert's 9th, 13th "Rosamunde" and 14th "Death and The Maiden" string quartets are my favorites from him. Brahms 1st is excellent, and all of the 16 Beethoven's are terrific, in my opinion. I can't comment on Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Dvorak and other supposedly great creators of string quartets, as I'm not yet familiar with them.

I also won't get into the quintets, sextets, etc., although I do really like Beethoven's Septet, Op. 20, which I don't actually have, but I do have the work transcribed for piano trio.

Beethoven's 10 sonatas for violin and piano, of which # 5 "Spring", # 9 "Kreutzer" and # 10 are must haves.

For some reason, I really really enjoy Piano Trios (piano, violin and cello). There is something about that combination that is very delightful, and it is my 2nd favorite style of chamber music after string quartets. I have all of Beethoven's, Mozart's and Schubert's piano trios. Out of these, the Beethoven # 5 "Ghost", # 7 "Archduke", and # 4 "Gassenhauer" are must haves. For Mozart, I particularly enjoy the K. 502 and K. 254. And Schubert only has 2 complete piano trios, of which the E flat major D. 929 is my favorite.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:19 pm

I appreciate that, Cat. Thanks. I heard Borodin's this morning, it was quite nice.

Speaking of piano music, I need to get a whole bunch of that, too! :rofl:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 am

I enjoyed the Mozart Madness Saturday. Especially, hearing the entire Requiem and the Piano Concerto No. 20 :) :keyboard
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 am

With the "Holiday Season" fast approaching, at least in North America, another idea would be music that is oft played at this time of year, not necessarily Christmas carols or Christmas songs.

Examples are:

Handel's Messiah, Tchaikovsky's Nut Cracker and Swan Lake Suites, Vivaldi's Winter from the Four Seasons are just a few examples.
Catmando
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie