Peter and the Wolf is killing me

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Catmando » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:15 am

PAULG wrote:Yeah Baby!!!!

I would have to say, the Anvil Chorus, which my dear departed Italian Grandmother used to play for me (we would pound pillows with my toy hammers in time with the gypsies) was probably my first introduction to Opera at around age 4 or 5. She would then tell me scary stories of Le Zingare (the gypsies) in her home town, which made no sense what so ever, but I just nodded my head. Whenever my sister and I would get dressed up for Halloween, a holiday she could not grasp, she would call us Le Zingare, the gypsies. I have no idea why.

My uncle (Grandma's son) had an anthology of opera and classical music that he used to play. Another favorite was the Hungarian Rhapsody 2 ??????. I'd be bouncing off the walls when they played that just like in the famous Looney Toons cartoon. As I grew older I got into Carmen, Aida. I went to High School around 3 blocks from Lincoln Center. I used to buy standing room tickets for $2.50 USD after school and go to the opera. I didn't let anyone else in my school know as I probably would have been beaten up.

P

Paul, who is your favorite opera composer, and your favorite operas? Many people are high on Puccini here.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:21 am

Ah...
Radetzky March is on..

this one is fun to play!!!
:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby PAULG » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:25 am

Absolutes in any art form are dangerous.

At different times in my life, I have been into different types of classical music, and different types of music. There was a point in my life where if you told me I would be into Coltrane and freeform Jazz, I would have told you you were crazy. That has turned out not to be true.

I grew up on Bel Canto. I remember seeing Robert Merril, Renata Scotto, Monserat Caballe, Luciano, but I know there will be a point in my life when I will be playing Wagner.

Right now I haven't been listening to Opera much, mostly Bach. He is wonderful to explore.
Paulie G.
PAULG
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:27 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Ah...
Radetzky March is on..

I have this ring tone on my phone. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:09 am

Catmando wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:Ah...
Radetzky March is on..

I have this ring tone on my phone. :)

COOL! 8)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Paul,

Anvil Chorus is up next!

Sorry I missed it. I work in downtown SF and a new building is being erected next door. Right now they are driving the piles for the foundation. The pounding is incessant and loud, however, I had to smile (laugh, even) when through it all, the anvil chorus was playing loud and clear on B.com...in perfect syncopation to the pile driver...
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:53 am

Now you've done it! Don't be surprised if Bignaf's next composition is called the Pile Drive Chorus. :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 am

There was a point in my life where if you told me I would be into Coltrane and freeform Jazz, I would have told you you were crazy. That has turned out not to be true.

Sorry, if you listen to Coltrane and like free form jazz then you are crazy :rofl:

However if you like jazz you'll love John Cage's 4'33." Shos and I perform it in what we like to believe was the first online orchestration some years back. I played a small dog-eared paperback and I think Shos chose the string less harp.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby PAULG » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:18 am

Neither myself nor most of the people acquainted with me would argue with your opinion of my sanity.

Truth be told, there is some Coltrane I have a very hard time with. But if you haven't tried it, try listening to "My Favorite Things" by Coltrane.

P
Paulie G.
PAULG
5th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:31 am

"Sane" is a fairly flexible concept, with this crowd. Depending on the subject under discussion, everyone is considered :crazy: by someone. We don't let it bother us.

I think I missed the online 4'33" performance. Encore? Please?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:20 pm

About the only piece that kills me is the Revenge Aria. And for some reason they seem to play it whenever I actually have the chance to listen to the stream.
:crazy:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:28 pm

They actually have a Barflometer that lets them know when you're listening in, and Sarge has rigged the CD to play it automatically whenever the Barflometer indicates that you're tuned in...

They also have Shapleyometer, which is set up to play my requests only when I'm logged off....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:20 pm

A couple of weeks ago, Jay Leno had an unusual guest, an 8-year-old girl who likes to sing opera. I hung around to see how that went, and sure enough, she can sing. Very well. And what did she sing?

The Revenge aria. :barf:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Uh oh...

The Revenge Aria is up now...

Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:14 pm

man...
that hurts when I here her going up to those high notes......
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:27 pm

I like the Revenge Aria, and I think Sumi Jo sings it well.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:29 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:man...

You know what's really scary? I can sing 'em, too. Well, let me clarify. I can emit a noise of approximately the same frequency. I'm not sure it actually qualifies as singing. OT might have more to say on that subject.

I can squeak in the same range as the Altoid. Not as loud, though. :mrgreen:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Shapley wrote:I like the Revenge Aria, and I think Sumi Jo sings it well.

sorry.. didn't mean I dislike it...
just those high notes.... blows me away...

Sumi Jo does a beautiful job!

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:man...

You know what's really scary? I can sing 'em, too. Well, let me clarify. I can emit a noise of approximately the same frequency. I'm not sure it actually qualifies as singing. OT might have more to say on that subject.

I can squeak in the same range as the Altoid. Not as loud, though. :mrgreen:

I'll bet you do a Fine Job!!!!!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby navneeth » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:36 pm

At one point she sounds like one of those wind instruments (no, not the larynx, dummy!), oboe, I think it is.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes