30Q # 68

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby navneeth » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:52 pm

I think it is. Didn't 'naf ask that question? Or was that in the previous 30Q? :?
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:54 pm

navneeth wrote:I think it is. Didn't 'naf ask that question? Or was that in the previous 30Q? :?

Navneeth,
I may have missed it... but I am stumped in my research on this...

The Cat has us on the run..........
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby navneeth » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Don't you mean the Cat had us on the run? ;)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:03 pm

navneeth wrote:Don't you mean the Cat had us on the run? ;)

Yup
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:14 pm

You are correct. Queston 17 asked if it was for solo piano. I've edited the post to reflect this.

The piece was for piano and voice, but voice was not counted as an instrument, so the piano is classified as solo, despite there being parts for two performers. Confusing, to me at least. But, the purpose of the 30Q is to entertain and educate, and I think it has achieved both of those goals. :)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:29 pm

how about we avoid calling an accompanying piano "solo" in the future? :roll:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Shapley wrote:You are correct. Queston 17 asked if it was for solo piano. I've edited the post to reflect this.

The piece was for piano and voice, but voice was not counted as an instrument, so the piano is classified as solo, despite there being parts for two performers. Confusing, to me at least. But, the purpose of the 30Q is to entertain and educate, and I think it has achieved both of those goals. :)

V/R
Shapley

You're right. I dropped the ball on the "solo piano" thing. I thought by saying that vocal was not considered an instrument for the purposes of this 30Q that it would help things a bit, but it just confused the issue more.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:05 pm

Not a problem. It's not like we're being graded on this.

It's just that, in my reading, solo is solo. Even if the pianist is the singer, I don't consider the piano piece to be a solo. But that is simply MHO.

Have a Happy Beethoven's Day!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to Musical Notes